Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 10   [ 94 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: JamesMR's MY08 SH XTP
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:32 pm 

Vehicle: MY09 XT Premium

jonp wrote:
You make like to consider putting in an STI steering rack. See this post:

http://www.ozfoz.com.au/forum/viewtopic ... 4191d5e1ee

Will help to improve steering feel/response. This along with suspension is meant to make a big difference. It is on my to-do list.

Yeah I'll see how the car feels once the suspension work is done and all dialled in. I expect it will feel better and more direct but still take some wheel shuffling to get it to turn. It's not a track car but I don't want to have both hands at 90degrees while I'm hanging off the wheel because the seats have terrible support. It all adds up to a terrible driving experience and really annoys me :dontknow:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:35 pm 

Forester4thetrees wrote:
I scored a BRG 2.4 turns JDM STi quick rack for the Forester this week and installed it last night. Not that I can use it, yet!!!!

Great timing too, as I had just placed an order with Kris at Rising Sun Subaru (who just assembled my Forged built engine this week) to get me one, as they leave today for holiday, and shopping trip to Japan. Saves Kris looking!

While I was at the rack I installed the new Whiteline 22mm adjustable front sway bar. To compliment the Rear Whiteline 22mm adjustable sway bar.

The OEM had to come off to do the rack anyway. Saved a bit of effort.

Always nice when you can hit two birds with one stone! Was the rack a direct bolt in and what MY did it come off?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:37 pm 

Vehicle: MY12 XT Premium Auto White

Hi JamesMR,
It came off a JDM BR STi 2008 year car with 70Ks on it.

I measured before removing my SH OEM rack.

The 2008 series BRG 2.4 turns JDM STi quick rack was a straight swap over.

Only 'hic cup' was my steering wheel rotated a touch and I had to drop the rack again and replace it in the straight ahead position. No real dramas!

I did a flush of the PS Fluid afterwards. Flushed about 1.5 litres out of the PS system.

Cheers Al

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:13 pm 

Forester4thetrees wrote:
Hi JamesMR,
It came off a JDM BR STi 2008 year car with 70Ks on it.

I measured before removing my SH OEM rack.

The 2008 series BRG 2.4 turns JDM STi quick rack was a straight swap over.

Only 'hic cup' was my steering wheel rotated a touch and I had to drop the rack again and replace it in the straight ahead position. No real dramas!

I did a flush of the PS Fluid afterwards. Flushed about 1.5 litres out of the PS system.

Cheers Al

Awesome thanks for the details. I'll see how the car feels when I get it back and will hit up Kris for an STi rack if he can get his hands on one.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:14 pm 

Dropped the car in this morning to Fulcrum. Hope to get it back this afternoon and super keen to see how it feels afterwards. Should be night and day (hopefully!). I'll update here with my review and will put up the alignment settings as well.

Gen6 Liberty GT calipers are painted and ready to go. Have the DBA T2 rotors waiting as well and will likely re-use the stock brake lines but I'm reconsidering. I'll probably order a set of T2 rotors for the rear shortly and just do them all at once. I used VHT Gloss Black paint and opted to put the gloss clear coat over the top as well. It wasn't needed but I felt that the paint needed to be protected somehow. If it starts to go yellow I dont think it will be that noticeable over the black. I'll use the heat from the brakes to cure the paint as the seals are still in place and I didnt feel like pulling them apart.

The calipers came with OEM pads - I'll need to swap these as well and might go with some QFM HPX pads. It's a street car that might see a mountain run or two so needs to work from cold. Any suggestions on pads will be appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:52 pm 

I Say: There's no 'i' in Team, but there is in Winner!
Vehicle: MY10 XT

The calipers came up really nice :ok:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:20 pm 

Tobyo wrote:
The calipers came up really nice :ok:

Good from far, far from good! The black was very easy to apply. The clear coat not so much. The first clear coat went on the same way I did the black, but because it doesn't appear to be as fine, the coat came out cloudy. I noticed that where I had over sprayed a little - these sections dried clear whereas the rest of the coat did not. I applied a second clear coat and was fairly liberal with the spray to make sure that it was almost running before I moved on. It came out glossy as a result so my tip for the clear is to spray until it turns milky (don't let it run) and then move on.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:27 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

You did well with the VHT paint in this recent heat and humidity!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:00 pm 

Yowie wrote:
You did well with the VHT paint in this recent heat and humidity!

I actually did them just before Christmas and have been waiting for the rotors to arrive. I got them last week so I'm getting ready to put them on. I think I'll bite the bullet and get some rears and I'll get some QFM HPX pads all around. Not sure if the investment in braided lines is worthwhile - I'd prefer the cylinder brace to get that solid pedal.

Might look for a set of Liberty GT rear calipers now - just need to check if they suit vented rotors to get rid of the stock XT ones.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:57 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

JamesMR_ wrote:

Might look for a set of Liberty GT rear calipers now - just need to check if they suit vented rotors to get rid of the stock XT ones.

Gen 5 Liberty GT calipers & rotors will fit. Gen 4 wont.

If you find a supplier of the rears, can you let me know if they have more than the set you're buying.

Due to a repeated SNAFU with one wrecker i only have Gen 5 rear calipers for one side at the moment. :evil:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 10   [ 94 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next