Change font size
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:23 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 9 of 9   [ 88 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: JamesMR's MY09 SH XTP
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 4:33 pm 

Vehicle: MY11 S-Edition - SWP

Will you keep the Foz if you get your STI back?

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 4:51 pm 

Vehicle: MY09 XT Premium

Yowie wrote:
Just don't phrase it "I might have gotten an STI"

Well, I've already had two so may as well complete the trifecta right!? Edit - I'm literal when I say I've had two STi's - both MY06 and made by FHI (aka Subaru)...not the STD kind haha.

jonp wrote:
Will you keep the Foz if you get your STI back?

I will keep the SH - we need a second car regardless so the STi will sit there in the garage until I have a need to use it (one car works quite well for us actually but not sustainable due to an addition coming along soon). The STi in that sense obviously isn't the best family car, but for me it's big enough and will get us out of a pinch.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:14 pm 

Small update. Have been looking for some WRX mufflers at a reasonable price for a while now. Everyone I've messaged that has them are down south and don't want to post, so was waiting for something local and it eventually came up and for a cracking price. Ended up getting the 2x mufflers and the mid-pipe in near new condition for $150. Initially I wasn't going to grab the mid-pipe but it was thrown in so I took it and installed it all yesterday.

The mid-pipe - nothing much to say here. It's basically the same but with a higher flowing resonator. The justification for the change was to get a nicer looking rear end on the car - the quad tips do it justice. There's also the sound aspect, keeping it OEM-like but with an increased noise profile as the stock SH mufflers don't provide any noise at all.

The install was simple enough. The only time consuming part was figuring out how much of the bumper needed to be cut to ensure the tips didn't rub. I used a dremel, hacksaw, file and sandpaper. It's a pretty dodgy job but considering the car is so low, it's not noticeable unless you're underneath the car or looking specifically at the exhaust cutouts in the bumper.

Overall:
I love the look of the tips
The sound is great outside the car
It gives a nice rumble inside the car
There's a bassy/boomy drone between 1200-1400rpm in 4th gear, unfortunately this is typical RPM when bumbling around town at 60-70km/h.
Whilst there's no CEL or hesitation etc, it feels like the ECU is stumbling around trying to manage the new exhaust, possibly due to the higher flow of this cat-back section. There's a noticeable surge & restriction under WOT until it eventually settles into a linear powerband.
There's a subtle roar under WOT. Sounds great - for an auto.
When idling or coasting to a stop, the exhaust is virtually silent.

The exhaust looks to be in near-new condition. There's zero carbon buildup inside the mufflers, they're also extremely clean and unmarked. The sound may change once it's been used a bit more but I may end up putting in some dynamat in the boot and trunk to remove some of that bassy resonance inside.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:21 pm 

Vehicle: MY09 XTP & MY16 BT50

Good pick up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Previous: '09 ZRE152 ZR (click)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:11 pm 

I Say: www.facebook.com/perfectiondetailing
Vehicle: MY06 X Lux --> MY10 XTP!

I had this setup in my SH, long may she rest in piece(s). Was a nice improvement over stock. I've seen other people on here dremel out a small amount of plastic to get the mufflers flush in the cutout which I thought looked schmick, but I went xforce shortly after.

Speaking of, you mentioned that people don't want to sell from down south, so if your up north is as far as Qld my car is to be auctioned off in Brisbane this Thursday. It's a repairable write off, but has tein super streets, an xforce tbe, process west cai, 2 way adjustable short shifter, I bought these for 3100 in total. If you're after bits, you could get the car for a grand and sell off what you don't need.

If none of this is making sense, I've been drinking xD

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:09 am 

fluf wrote:
I had this setup in my SH, long may she rest in piece(s). Was a nice improvement over stock. I've seen other people on here dremel out a small amount of plastic to get the mufflers flush in the cutout which I thought looked schmick, but I went xforce shortly after.

Speaking of, you mentioned that people don't want to sell from down south, so if your up north is as far as Qld my car is to be auctioned off in Brisbane this Thursday. It's a repairable write off, but has tein super streets, an xforce tbe, process west cai, 2 way adjustable short shifter, I bought these for 3100 in total. If you're after bits, you could get the car for a grand and sell off what you don't need.

If none of this is making sense, I've been drinking xD

Do you know who's doing the auction? Might be worth a look.

The WRX exhaust is a definite improvement over stock, aesthetically and sound-wise. Gives a very nice, subtle rumble. Enough to know it's a Subaru which is what I wanted.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:10 pm 

Vehicle: MY11 S-Edition - SWP

I looked at this set up as it has a lot of positives but I have zero tolerance for drone so opted for after market mufflers.

Looks good but :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:08 pm 

I Say: www.facebook.com/perfectiondetailing
Vehicle: MY06 X Lux --> MY10 XTP!

Auctioned at Pickles. You can tell it's my car as it has my work logo all over it. Perfection Mobile Car Detailing. If you needed things like spare seats the interior on mine was immaculate.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 9 of 9   [ 88 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9