Change font size
It is currently Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:13 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 29   [ 281 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Rob's Faux MY00 S/tb STi
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:26 pm 

Vehicle: MY00 SF5 - MY04 SG9 STi

Note: apologies for the lack of images- bear with me as I slowly re-link everything...

Hi Everyone.

I've been lurking around OzFoz for a while now but never really had anything to post. Figured it's about time I shared some of what I am up to given the amount of advice and information I've collected reading the forums here. Until now I think my only posts have been in the buy/sell/trade section.

About 6 months ago I picked up a bog stock MY00 GT Luxury to replace a MY14 WRX I'd just sold (changed jobs, commuting via train and it was basically only driven weekends - wasting away). GT was in pretty average condition, heaps of dints, bit of paint damage from previous owner, few bits and pieces missing etc. Cost me about $4000 and I had no intention of doing anything with it… But you know how it is.

Anyway since purchase it's become a bit of a project. I don't have photos of it in it's original glory however as I've become more involved I've started getting the camera out more often.

Latest pics:

Earliest original form captured on film:

01 JDM GDB STi Swap:
- ver7 JDM STi EJ207 & ECU @ 196kw tuned by Warwick at Got It Rex
- Hybrid SF5/GDB Loom
- GDB Engine Crossmember
- New Group N Engine Mounts
- 05 STi Twin Scroll Headers & Up-Pipe
- 05 STi Twin Scroll Sump, Oil Pickup, Dipstick
- VF37 Twin Scroll Turbo
- 05 Spec C STi TMIC
- Custom TMIC Splitter
- ZeroSports 3" Stainless Steel Dump
- PSR Silicone Inlet & SFB with custom in-guard CAI and 3" MAF tube
- 01 STi Steering Rack, Knuckle, Column
- 01 STi Poweer Steering Cooler, Hyundai Reservoir, VS/VY Power Steering Hose
- 01 STi 6MT non-DCCD GB w/ LSD
- 01 STi Clutch Slave/Master/Reservoir
- 01 STi Drive Shaft
- 01 STi R180 Rear Diff
- 01 STi Front/Rear Hubs & Axels (new rear bearings & backing plates)
- 01 STi Alloy Control Arms
- 05 STi Alloy Rear Lateral Links
- Whiteline Adjustable Rear Lateral Links
- 01 STi Rear Crossmember
- 01 STi Rear Trailing Arms & Mounts
- Whiteline 22mm FSB
- Whiteline 24mm RSB
- 01 STi Front End Links
- Whiteline Spherical Rear End Links
- Whiteline HD Rear End Links
- 01 SF5 STi Cluster
- Front/Rear Brembo Calipers
- DBA Front/Rear T2 Slotted Rotors
- HEL Braided Brake Lines (Rear)
- SF5 Subframe Spacers Removed

Mods to date:
- Lowered on GD STI Struts (stage 1 lowered king springs on the front, stock on the back)
- 3" TBE with "custom bashed-in cannon" to fit tow-bar
- Audio system (Polk DB6501 splits, kicker 8" compact sub, old Jaycar Response 2x150w amp (from before they became rubbish), Pioneer HU)
- Gauge pod with boost, voltage and water temp (soon to be replaced)
- Haltech Interceptor (Tuned at approx 14PSI for 145KW by Chasers in West Melbourne)
- GFB Deceptor BOV
- Tinting
- 18x8.5 Rota Gravels with Falken 235/45 Tyres
- Rear guards rolled
- Rear wing (non Subaru - soon to be replaced :D)
- Power folding mirrors with JDM switch
- APS GC8 Intercooler
- Turbosmart 3-port EBCS
- Legacy GTB Brake Upgrade
- TD04 Turbo
- Slimline rain visors
- GD Leather Interior
- S/tb Type A Leather Trim Door Cards
- S/tb STi C interior (front seats, rear seats, door cards)
- Custom HID Retrofit with Morimoto H1 Mini Projectors
- Custom Cluster Gauge Sweep on Start
- STI C Front Bar
- STI C Rear Bar
- STI C Skirts
- STI C Wing
- Colour coded door handles
- Lamco boost gauge (stock gauge pack)
- Custom APS scoop modified to fit SF5 and colour coded
- Resonectomy
- Custom 3" intake with in-guard filter
- Clear side indicators
- JDM tail lights
- VicRoads Jap plates
- Chromed indicator bulbs front and back
- Osram Fog Breaker yellow fog bulbs
- Remote start alarm
- STi II Slimline Roof Rails
- Red Stitch Momo Steering Wheel (Unknown Origin)
- 04 Forester STi 6MT Shift Knob
- Invidia G200 3" Exhaust customised to fit with body spacers removed
- JDM Climate Control
- Red Stitch STi Handbrake Lever
- MCA XC Coilovers (7/4kg)

Repairs to date:
- Exedy stage 1 organic clutch
- Clock solder repaired
- Fixed wiper clunk & restored plastics
- Fix bonnet dints and respray
- Fix rear passenger quarter panel damage and respray
- Fix rear passenger door damage and respray
- New cargo blind
- PDR on all doors
- New under-bonnet liner

Near future/repairs due:
- Roof Racks for STi Rails
- OEM Lamco gauge pod (with custom AFR)
- Fix ongoing squeaky brake issue
- Front RHS CV Boot
- Correct rear alignment (scrubbing on LHS only)
- Era-specific wheels

Parts for most of the future stuff are already sourced, just a matter of finding the time.

Looking forward to getting more involved here at OzFoz and hopefully I can contribute something back.

Cheers, Rob.

Last edited by robbith on Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:19 pm, edited 63 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Rob's MY00 GT Luxury
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:27 pm 

One of the first mods I installed was a 3-gauge pod in the centre of the dash. Problem is, it's big and bulky plus it bothers me that the background colour and the general gauge style don't match stock gauges. The more work I do on the car, the more I am inclined to keep things looking as stock as possible (especially the interior).

I had a shop around for gauges to match but they were either too expensive (for me) to justify purchasing, or just couldn't find anything that I was 100% happy with. So, decided to develop my own.

I've worked a bit with the Arduino platform (open-source electronics development) previously, so I figured I could build a system that reads sensor values and can display on screen in whatever format I desire. Basically trying to keep within the following constraints:

- Match factory style (green backlight, not obnoxiously large etc.)
- Display data in a manner that was readable and valuable whilst driving
- Interface with the Interceptor to get ECU data
- Interface with wide-band O2 sensor (and controller: 14Point7 open-source)
- Retain use of the dash storage compartment

I considered building stepper controlled gauges however it meant being restricted to particular data (e.g. only fit 3 gauges across and they are limited to whatever scale they're created in (eg. PSI/Volts/Temperature etc or whatever it may be). Also, the thought of creating a backlit scale frightened me - so scrapped that idea.

Then I started looking at LCD displays. Initially wanted to use one large display but couldn't find anything with a big enough resolution/size with a corresponding Arduino library.

Ended up deciding on a two-display setup, similar in format to the 3-gauge pod but with two LCD displays that could be changed dynamically, or display information from multiple sensor on a single display. Apologies for the crude sketch:

Before getting too involved, I ordered a couple of LCD screens (12864ZW) with a resolution of 128 x 64. They're 3" image-capable screens (not just text). I'd like slightly larger, with higher res, but there's a limit to what the Atmega can support, plus I intend to run both off a single CPU. We'll see how that goes, I can separate if required. They were about $12 each, plus are backlit green (very very close to the stock gauges):

After finding the library they were pretty easy to program. The photos below show a basic data layout (which will likely change), with the ability to display a number in it's raw value (e.g. a temperature, or a voltage). Plus, for values such as Boost or AFR where a bit of a history is important, it's laid out in a horizontal gauge format, with peak hold:

At the same time I had also been researching options for wide-band O2 sensors. Everything I came across was a professional product and even senders alone I was looking at well over $200. In the end I stumbled across 14Point7, where they manufacture professional senders and gauges, but also have an open source version that requires assembly, but costs about $30. I bought one along with a Bosch LSU 4.9 wide-band sensor. Cost me about $111 USD (so probably close to $170 but included the sensor). Works perfectly for my requirements as it outputs a linear voltage between 0 and 5v which I can ready with one of the Arduino's analogue inputs. It has a screen (so I can debug) but when running I will disconnect it:

So, confident that I can display the info in the correct manner, and interface with a wide-band O2 controller, I mocked up a really really crude template to check for clearance and general size etc. Notice the LCDs are slightly tilted toward the driver position:

This is where it stops for the time being.

To-do:
- Create housing (my original thoughts are using a polystyrene block cut to size/shape with the dremel, the fibreglass over the top - however I'm open to suggestions!)
- Interface with Interceptor. After reading up on it, the Haltech is compatible with CAN data bus. I have not yet got to a point where I know what channels are available, however I know it's version 1. I ordered a CAN data bus module which has arrived but haven't progressed past that.
- Install wide-band O2. There's a bung in the exhaust so it's ready to go, I just haven't had a chance. Also - not good to install the sensor without running controller as it heats the sensor to avoid condensation damage and carbon build up. Probably the last thing I do.
- Finalise the data display, might include buttons to cycle through gauges etc. Not really sure at this point. When I get a prototype into the car I'll have more of an idea of how it reads.

More to come soon.

Last edited by robbith on Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:48 pm 

Vehicle: MY99 GT bare shell on stands

Yesssssss!
Love what you're doing with the gauges. I'm doing something similar (also with 14point7 hardware and a bosch 4.9 ;)) but I'm using colour TFTs and aiming for 1 DIN high. Will probably start with this gauge display code. I'm mainly interested in EGT (off cylinder 4) and wideband AFR, as I have a 3 gauge pod with other stuff.

a big +1 for the arduino nanos. Tiny little things are so useful, especially at ~$5 shipped via aliexpress :o

Love the GUI design so far, is your code up on github or similar?

[edit] You might be able to use this as your display housing, if your screens are small enough -- https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/prod ... cts_id=722

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:56 pm 

Vehicle: MY05 XT

I LOVE where this is going!

I wonder whether your displays would fit in the 'navigation pack' holder that was available for SF? I believe the same console was used as the gauge pod on the equivalent year Impreza.

ie.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:19 pm 

andrew_k - Yeah I did think about using colour screens, mainly because there were a few types available with much bigger resolution at about the 3" size. My concern was that the higher resolution would introduce latency and cause the info to be unusable e.g. hitting the boost limit but you're not warned until 2s after the event. I'd be really interested to see how that instructables code performs given that only one gauge is displayed rather than multiple. Is the O2 module you're using the open source or did you get one of the pre-made models?

The nanos are brilliant. I bought a 10 pack or something and I'll never go back to the standard Uno (or whatever it's called). No code anywhere as of yet (it's still in "hideous prototype" format ) but I can send you a copy if you're interested.

I'd like to get the measurements for that gauge pod housing, anything beats having to fabricate my own enclosure. Are they available in Aus?

tryangus - I have seen those before, trawling through Gumtree or something I came across a forester that had one and I had the same thought - haven't had any luck sourcing one (not that I've tried very hard).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:40 pm 

Looks like the 'navigation pack' is the same housing as https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/prod ... cts_id=722

Anyone know of anyone who actually has one installed? I'm wondering if it's a full DIN - if so, might be in luck. Looks like the screens would fit but the PCB might hang out a bit much.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:12 pm 

Vehicle: MY99 GT bare shell on stands

The gauge housing I linked to is the one in the photograph above. Ignore the photo on the site, as it says in the description **SIMILAR to photo shown**. It's the same one as in tryangus' post. The usable space is 1 DIN - 50mm x 180mm. It's not available in AU as far as I'm aware, but even if it were it's an OEM item so you'd still be better off shipping it in than getting it from the Subaru Aus. Waali has one in his 02 GT, if you ask him really nicely he might be able to take some further measurements for you.

For measuring things I need instant display of - eg boost - I'm still using analog gauges. For the TFTs I'll be using 1 small one per nano, with them displaying EGT and AFR. I think a min/max/current style display will be sufficient for those measures.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:40 pm 

Ahhh fair enough - so you retain the analogue gauges where timing is a factor.

Thanks - If that pod is 1 DIN then I might be in luck. Screens are just over 50mm high and the PCB of each is 90mm wide. PCB height is 70mm so I need 10mm top/bottom to fit them in, but just looking at a photo now of an empty unit including the vent assembly and I'd say there's enough room. I'll ask Waali nicely ;)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:44 pm 

Just attaching this for reference. It's the Haltech CAN BUS v1 protocol - which I understand is used by the Interceptor (and Platinum Interceptor). Took me ages to find as they only seem to publish v2 for their newer (post 2012) stuff. Unless the firmware on the Interceptor can be upgraded...

Attachments:
Haltech CAN Protocol Document v1.1.pdf [51.25 KiB]
Downloaded 367 times

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:14 pm 

I Say: Yeah nah
Vehicle: SF5 GT 6MT

Holy crap, subscribed! This is awesome mate; I really need to get my hands dirty with arduino!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 29   [ 281 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29  Next