Change font size
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:11 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 6 of 6   [ 56 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Chips '01 SF S/tb -Front Brakes pg5
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:58 pm 

I Say: Needs more positive manifold pressure.
Vehicle: MY01 S/tb - MY01 STi II Type M

I've done a little bit of work to this over the past few weeks in between waiting for some parts to arrive.

After having a slight fuel smell enter then cabin whilst driving with the windows down I decided it was time to take the intake manifold off and replace all the fuel lines underneath as I thought these were probably leaking, and the AVO silicone inlet is MUCH easier to fit IMO with the intake manifold removed. Partially due to the required cutting and removal of a fuel hard line bracket under the intake manifold.

Upon removal of the intake manifold I discovered that the leak was actually coming from a failed injector O-ring. This was, annoying as I couldn't put the car back together the same day like I had planned. Apparently finding a full set of these side feed O-rings (3 O-rings and 1 rubber spacer per injector) is a bit of a mission and they needed to come to me via the slow boat from Japan. Whilst this was happening I had the injectors cleaned and flow tested by my mechanic as they were absolutely filthy when I pulled them out. Cleaned up alright though and they flowed 440cc on his tester.

When pulling the intake manifold off I also broke the little plastic T piece ontop of the crank breather. As I really wasn't interested in trying to find one of these locally in good condition I decided this was an opportune time to fit the 4 port catch can I had laying around. That turned into somewhat of a failure due to some poor design elements of the can. Mainly, no barbed fittings so the hoses kept slipping off, even when using hose clamps. As well as this I also preformed the throttle body coolant bypass mod. Mainly due to this making it slightly easier to get the manifold back on, with two less hoses to worry about. :lol:

Had I been more prepared I would have also bought and installed some phenolic manifold spacers whilst it was all apart. :dontknow:

Now, with the new inlet and clean, not leaking injectors the car seems to be much happier. The turbo wants to spool up quicker. Along with this the boost is now creeping to 15psi, then coming back down to 11.5psi as the revs climb. You can really feel the boost creep/spike as well. Due to this the car has much more go in the mid range and really tapers off comparatively up top. Where as before, even after the exhaust was fitted it would hold 11.5psi solidly all the way to redline. I've yet to hook the laptop up and make a few logs to see what the knock/timing situation is with the new boost spike. I might get a chance to do that later on tonight.

Anyway, that's enough rambling. Here's some pics.

Manifold off.

Throttle body coolant lines bypassed.

Everything back together before I cracked it with the catch can and removed it.

For those interested, these are the markings on the drivers side head on the JDM facelift S/tb head. I haven't been able to come up with much solid information as to the differences between the GT forester heads. Besides the camshafts being the larger WRX profile.

MY01 GT -Unfinished Project

Post subject: Re: Chips '01 SF S/tb -AVO intake pg6
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:30 pm 

I Say: Corners > Straights
Vehicle: 2010 XT Premium 5MT C6Z

Coolant lines through the throttle body? Are they trying to have a small water to air cooler after the air to air cooler?

PS - nice pliers ;]

2010 SH XT Premium 5MT C6Z

Instagram - Hardy.Photographika

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:34 pm 

JeremyHardy wrote:
Coolant lines through the throttle body? Are they trying to have a small water to air cooler after the air to air cooler?

PS - nice pliers ;]

Nah, it's for the colder areas incase your throttle plate freezes. The coolant flow un-freezes it. But, Straya!

They're still kicking after all these years, thanks ;)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:42 pm 

I Say: Corners > Straights
Vehicle: 2010 XT Premium 5MT C6Z

Chips wrote:
JeremyHardy wrote:

PS - nice pliers ;]

Nah, it's for the colder areas incase your throttle plate freezes. The coolant flow un-freezes it. But, Straya!

They're still kicking after all these years, thanks ;)

Yeah that makes sense I suppose. Definitely not required here ;]

2010 SH XT Premium 5MT C6Z

Instagram - Hardy.Photographika

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:35 pm 

Haven't really done much to this over the last few months. But just recently it has developed a recurring CEL problem on startup with the ECU pulling all the timing until it randomly decides to turn off then the car drives normally. After reading the stored fault codes, it was showing me a dud O2 sensor and IAT sensor. I replaced both of these and it seemed to fix the problem a little bit. Although it was still showing a dud IAT sensor. After taking the car to my mechanic to get a second opinion from his (much MUCH more expensive) scan tool I have a knock sensor ordered. Hopefully this fixes the issue.

I have also replaced the 235/45/17 Bridgestone RE002's with new 225/55/17 Bridgestone RE003's. The car looks much better IMO with correct (if not a touch large) tyres.

Along with a new knock sensor I also have some seals and what not coming for the fuel pump area as I can smell fuel from this area. So when I replace these I'll be putting in a new walbro pump at the same time.

Anyway, pic.

Post subject: Re: Chips '01 SF S/tb -new tyres pg6
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:32 pm 

Old knock sensor was totally buggered. Very corroded and several cracks right through the plastic outer layer. Replaced and I haven't had an issue since.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 6 of 6   [ 56 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6