Change font size
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:17 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 6   [ 55 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chips '01 SF S/tb -Rear Swaybar pg2
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:42 pm 

I Say: Needs more positive manifold pressure.
Vehicle: MY01 S/tb - MY01 STi II Type M

To say the paint on this car is poor would be a understatement. It has several spots on each panel where previous paint repairs have been performed, badly. Along with this the clear layer has become very oxidized leading to the car presenting with a very patch matte finish. Today I decided to have an attempt at rectifying this as much as I can without getting a full respray. Ideally, that's what it needs though.

So, I went and bought myself a DA buffer and some cutting compound and went to work.

One of the better panels on the car, after a wash, before buffing and waxing.

Same panel after buffing with the DA buffer and applying a coat of wax. Not too bad for my first time ever using a DA buffer. You can see a previous paint repair in the lower section of the panel. The paint doesn't match at all :cry:

After doing a test panel (pass side rear quarter, the part I'd look at the least) I did the whole drivers side. I neglected to get any before pics, but if you go back to the first page of this thread, you can see some. I think it came up alright. It looks MUCH better in pictures than it does in real life. The previous repairs don't show anywhere near as bad on camera. It's still a massive improvement though!

MY01 GT -Unfinished Project

Post subject: Re: Chips '01 SF S/tb -paint correction pg3
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:22 pm 

I'm still slowly polishing/buffing the exterior and seeing how bad the paint really is. At least I won't be worried about parking lot damage...

But to avoid complete boredom I mixed it up a little today after work and put in a little time figuring out where/how I wanted to mount the 52mm RaceTech boost gauge. I'll be using a modified SAAS gauge pod/mount as the one that comes with the RaceTech gauge just wouldn't work where I wanted to mount the gauge.

I want to mount the gauge on the steering column, so it doesn't look out of place ontop of the dash, but so it doesn't block any of the cluster.

About here will do. But to fit it nicely without interfering with anything the gauge pod needs a little modification. It's about twice as deep as it needs to be.

It's a good excuse for me to use my new rotary tool and work on my poor metal/fabrication skills.

That was easy. Lucky the ring that holds the pod together is there to hide my not so straight cut!

The mounting foot needed a little trimming, as well as some new mounting holes drilled to suite the small screws I'll be using to secure it to the steering column trim panel. Yeah, the holes aren't straight. I really need to find some room to set up an actual work bench with a vice instead of just using the edge of my tool box and holding things with my hand.

That's about as far as I got tonight. It was too dark and had started raining by the time I got to the painting stage. Hopefully I can get the modified mounting cup painted tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:55 am 

Vehicle: MY10 XT -

Chips wrote:
You can see a previous paint repair in the lower section of the panel. The paint doesn't match at all :cry:

98% of the time you will never get an exact match. Not when you are looking at a panel side by side. If it was your pride and joy and you have damaged a side panel that needs to be painted, I would always recommend respraying the full side of the car.
Nice work on your polishing job :thumbs:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:37 am 

MTBTRAIL wrote:
Chips wrote:
You can see a previous paint repair in the lower section of the panel. The paint doesn't match at all :cry:

98% of the time you will never get an exact match. Not when you are looking at a panel side by side. If it was your pride and joy and you have damaged a side panel that needs to be painted, I would always recommend respraying the full side of the car.
Nice work on your polishing job :thumbs:

If this was done professionally, then the person that did it needs to find another job. It looks like it's been done poorly with a rattlecan. There is zero attempt at blending or anything.
Ideally the whole car needs a respray, but unfortunately that just isn't in the budget.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Chips '01 SF S/tb -gauge bracket pg3
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:39 pm 

The weather was kind and I had enough time to finish the boost gauge install today.

First up, matte black everything!

I decided to tap into the headunit loom for all relevant power wires. I was pleasantly surprised when I pulled the dash apart and discovered that the stereo had been installed using patch looms. This made the job a whole lot easier as I could pull half the loom out and work on it outside the car. Winning.

My hands are far too shaky to be any good at soldering. A 'third arm' helps a lot though.

All done. So easy on a bench!

Mounted the sensor here for now. I'll probably change it up slightly and use black silicon hose instead of the clear once the 3-port BCS goes in. All the vac lines need replacing anyway. They've all gone hard like plastic.

One good thing about the Auto is that unused clutch holes in the firewall make for an easy way to get wires through.

Awwww yeah! Lights up green when the lights are on and white when they aren't. It also doesn't obscure the fuel gauge.

Post subject: Re: Chips '01 SF S/tb -Boost Gauge pg3
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:25 pm 

More huge mods today. Painted the wiper arms. Still waiting on some Australian stock of Golpher rads to arrive so I can get it all happening in the engine bay.

Before, the whole arm looked like this.

After.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:20 pm 

Vehicle: 98 N/A 5MT Foz - 82 BMW E28

I need to do this!

My Forester Gallery

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:26 pm 

Finished correcting/polishing/waxing the paint this afternoon and brought the DSLR out of retirement for a picture or two.

Post subject: Re: Chips '01 SF S/tb -New Pics pg3
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:22 am 

I Say: Wubba lubba dub dub
Vehicle: MY10 XTP Satin White Pearl 5M

Car is coming along very nicely mate, those lasts pics show how well the paint has scrubbed up. Im in love with the gold on red look!

MY10 XTP Satin White Pearl 5MT - Tein Street Advance Coilovers - SuperPro RCA & ALK - 19' Forester TS ENKEI Rims - 2011 STi Cat Back Quad Tip Exhaust with KartBoy 12 mm exhaust hangers - K&N Panel Filter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:11 pm 

Vehicle: MY01 GT-silver

epearce wrote:
I need to do this!

:| :| Me to

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 6   [ 55 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next