Change font size
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:14 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Phrewfufs JDM SF5 STi
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:15 am 

Vehicle: JDM SF STi Pure White

Since i've been around for a while here now, i thought it's time to post some pics of my ride.

I used to drive around on german roads in a nice Regal Blue Pearl MY06 Impreza 2.0R Comfort, so an N/A Hawkeye.
Loved it, even though the 160HP were not quite enough. Was the first car i bought right after getting my job.

Then this happened, apparently phones are more important than traffic:

Got a rental for two weeks via insurance, so two weeks to get a new car. Didn't want to pay more for the rental and had on-call duty in the third week, hence the haste.
Car had to be AWD and had to have >160HP. And the budget was a tad limited.
Looked at everything, but you guys know how it is with Subarus, they will never let you go.
Found a guy who imported JDM cars, out of the 20 cars he had, 17 were sold, two were out of my price range (very beautiful Blobeyes) and one was a white JDM SF5 STi Foz with 70k on the clock. I was a bit sceptical, mainly because of the 4EAT and my previous experiences with torque converters. But it was surprisingly awesome to drive. And, also very surprising, i had no issues with it being RHD, despite only having driven a buddys RHD Rover MG-F for half an hour before.

So, this then ended up being mine a few days later:

First, i planned to drive around on the gold BBS wheels in the summer, and being mid of october, i bought new winter tyres and put them on the original wheels of the Hawk. They were old, poorly painted in black by the previous owner and a bit beat up, perfect for salty winter roads. But i had the tyres remounted on the BBS ones a few months ago after deciding to get new wheels for the summer.

Also done up until that:
- removed windguards (glue was old, so they were wonky)
- small incident with a guardrail on passenger side
- removed the "Forester" lettering on drivers and passengers door
- replaced rear wheel bearings, twice
- welded a hole in the midpipe
- installed new brakes all around (Discs: Brembo Xtra drilled in the front, Brembo OEM-type in the rear. EBC greenstuff pads)
- suprise broken rocker cover bolt on drivers side
- installed old self-built CarPC setup out of the hawkeye
- screen of CarPC suddenly had a fried HDMI controller, got a Pumpkin Android 6 unit

Here's a pic before/after the wheel swap:

And this is the most recent pic with the brand new Team Dynamics Monza R 7,5x18 +37 with Hankook Ventus Evo12 225/45R18:

Things that have to be done:
- roll rear guards, wheels seem to rub very slightly
- replace outer rubber boot on rear right driveshaft
- install a new rear foglight after the one installed by the dealer broke and dangled by the wires like an old ballsack
- get new suspension (most likely Tein Street Advance Z)
- replace a few control arms and their bushings to be able to get an alignment (bolts are proper seized, also too much rust)
- get it to a detailing shop, 16year old paint looks filthy

Things that would be a nice to have:
- get a proper tune (i have to fill in the good and expensive Aral Ultimate 102 ROZ fuel with the JDM map)
- get Oil temp/pressure and coolant temp gauge
- get a trailer coupling (if possible with the STi rear skirt)
- get harder swaybars
- install this, with I/C water spray (don't have the fitting scoop yet, but the TMIC and splitter):

Long term goals/dreams:
- replace/upgrade brake calipers
- get a better drivers seat
- VTD swap or 6mt DCCD swap
- built engine
- keep the thing for about 10 years and get an oldtimer/historic registration

Post subject: Re: Phrewfufs JDM SF5 STi
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:13 am 

Vehicle: MY01 GT-silver

Nice write up mate,
Good looking ride

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:32 am 

So...remember when i wrote i replaced the brakes?
And remember me posting in the 4pot rebuild thread not too long after?

Yeah, that stuck piston absolutely wrecked the front right disc, whole car is shaking like mad when applying any brake pressure.

Got a set of 4pots off a guy from the german scooby forum, had to apply loads of brute force with the addition of hot air and cold spray to remove the pistons. Gave the naked calipers to a powdercoater nearby plus ordered a set of stainless steel brake pistons off godspeedbrakes.

Picked the calipers up today and already assembled it. The ring clips on the old 4pots are a PITA to install, they kept slipping off.

Now they are ready to be installed as soon as the new discs and pads arrive. Pic of work in progress:

Also ordered a Defi DIN gauge and found a good detailer.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:11 am 

Vehicle: Evo IX GT wagon

Nice work! I thought you would have to convert it to Left hand drive???

www.instagram.com/uzumaki.garage

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:58 pm 

Thanks.

Nope, conversion isn't required, the only things that have to be done are replacing the RHD headlights with LHD ones and installing a rear foglight. Also get an inspection and then you're basically good to go.

Paid parking garages are a nemesis of every RHD driver here, people look funny when they see what they think should be the passenger get out and walk to the other side of the car to push the button.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:06 am 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

Phrewfuf wrote:
Thanks.

Nope, conversion isn't required, the only things that have to be done are replacing the RHD headlights with LHD ones and installing a rear foglight. Also get an inspection and then you're basically good to go.

Paid parking garages are a nemesis of every RHD driver here, people look funny when they see what they think should be the passenger get out and walk to the other side of the car to push the button.

The logical RHD driver would just reverse up to the boom gates :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:07 am 

That would work as long as you're rolling into a one story parking lot. Doesn't work too good with multi-level parking buildings where you have to drive up a narrow spiral to get to the actual parking space. I don't really want to drive backwards through one of those.

Though i'd love to see the face of the driver coming into the lot after me. :D

Plus the thing is that i'm married, so my wife has the duty of pushing the button and pulling the ticket when she's with me. :P

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]