Change font size
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:54 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 5   [ 45 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Batch's 04 XT, Forged, Cammed, 6 speed, GTX3076r
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:06 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

Probs not well suited to your application, but i have absolutely loved the last 2 exedy racing clutches ive had. CarbonD and CompeD are both very sexy bits of gear.

CarbonD was by far the smoothest clutch ive ever driven on in a Subaru as far as controlability. It was a bit noisly like most every other twin plate. Not a deal braker. But it just sucked having to "heat it up" every cold start. If it wasnt for the cold start dramas, then it would just about be a perfect clutch IMO.

And the CompeD has so far been pretty sweet aswell. Not as smooth/easy to modulate as the Carbon. But not uncontrollable either by any stretch. A bit quieter, and way lighter than the carbon, and holds the torque from cold right up to race temps perfectly. The metallic clutchs probs wont get the life of a non-race clutch. But race clutchs are meant to be light and sleek. Not last a million miles.

Id maybe suggest something like a hyper twin maybe. You will have no worries with holding the power and it will be 'manageable' in street traffic (i said manageable, not ideal). And not too twitchy with a super light flywheel like the CompeD. Its basically the same as the compeD, but minus the super light flywheel.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:15 am 

Vehicle: 04 XT

Bram wrote:
Probs not well suited to your application, but i have absolutely loved the last 2 exedy racing clutches ive had. CarbonD and CompeD are both very sexy bits of gear.

CarbonD was by far the smoothest clutch ive ever driven on in a Subaru as far as controlability. It was a bit noisly like most every other twin plate. Not a deal braker. But it just sucked having to "heat it up" every cold start. If it wasnt for the cold start dramas, then it would just about be a perfect clutch IMO.

And the CompeD has so far been pretty sweet aswell. Not as smooth/easy to modulate as the Carbon. But not uncontrollable either by any stretch. A bit quieter, and way lighter than the carbon, and holds the torque from cold right up to race temps perfectly. The metallic clutchs probs wont get the life of a non-race clutch. But race clutchs are meant to be light and sleek. Not last a million miles.

Id maybe suggest something like a hyper twin maybe. You will have no worries with holding the power and it will be 'manageable' in street traffic (i said manageable, not ideal). And not too twitchy with a super light flywheel like the CompeD. Its basically the same as the compeD, but minus the super light flywheel.

Thanks for the info!

I've just ordered the ACT XTSS from the UK, after a heap of research it's a really good streetable clutch that has the clamping force needed for over 400hp at the wheels, see how it goes i guess!

Currently typing up the next update and should be updated tonight sometime :thumbs:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:58 pm 

UPDATE:

I'll start off with the driveline. It's quite the hybrid setup.
- 2004 JDM STi DCCD 6 speed
- 2004 JDM Spec c R180 rear diff with r160 pinion flange swapped over
- 2004 XT auto tailshaft
- 09 Spec B Liberty rear driveshafts with 04 XT Forester outer CV's swapped on
- ACT XTSS clutch coupled with the stock 6 speed flywheel
- 02 WRX Bugeye starter motor

Swapping Pinion flange from R180 to R160 so I can use the 04XT auto tail shaft:

Making the R180/R160 hybrid shafts, found out from the guys in the US that you can still retain the R160 outer hubs but still use the beefier R180 diff. I wanted to document this as there is no form of diy into making these shafts on any forum, hopefully it helps people in the future. First you grab an 07-09 Spec B liberty rear driveshafts

Then take the outer CV boot off the CV and slide it down the driveshaft. Next take a block of wood/metal and rest it up against the race (gear that slides on the driveshaft spline) and give it a few taps to seperate it from the driveshaft. You will have to give it a few knocks as its held on with a c-clip.

Then you have this (left is Spec B and right is 04XT):

Swap the Forester outer CV onto the Spec B shaft and tap it back on. As you can see in the photo below the the Spec B driveshaft is about 10mm long and wont bolt in due to the difference in hub design.

Left is Forester and right is Spec B

Now I could use the R160 Forester Hubs and have the benefits of the plated R180

All thrown into the car

Next issue was the turbo...... As Bram said in a earlier post there will be issues trying to get the turbo to fit correctly and he was 100% correct. The front cover had 10mm of clamping space for the inlet which wasn't enough. Got in contact with MAMBA and they were more that helpful, long story short they sent me out a 14mm cover which was perfect. Swapped the covers over and happy days.

Other things that ive completed but dont have photos:
- 02 STI TGV swap and topfeed rail conversion
- Fitted ID1000's
- Cleaned and fitted intake manifold using 8mm phenolic spacers
- Custom made CNC airpump deletes

The next stage of the car is to get the engine back in:
- Ordered and waiting on Clutch, Flywheel, Injector adapters, 3 port Solenoid, intake

***If anyone has any 03-08 SG Forester tailshaft bushings let me know, dont want to buy another tailshaft just for the bushings!!***

Last edited by batch on Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:30 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------

Awesome work with the hybrid shafts. I knew the libs had the r180 to r160 shaft, and i knew there was a length difference that was an issue. What I did not know was that its possible swap the outer CV/stubs over and get around the issue. Good work.

Post subject: Re: Batch's 04 XT, Forged, Cammed, 6 speed, GTX3076r - UPDATE
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:23 pm 

Update:

Delivery man rocked up with:
- Injector adapters
- ACT XTSS clutch
- OEM flywheel
- Timing belt idler bolts
- Auto tailshaft

Will hopefully get it all in except the clutch/flywheel :thumbs:

Post subject: Re: Batch's 04 XT, Forged, Cammed, 6 speed, GTX3076r - UPDATE
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:07 pm 

Current engine pic:

3 port all installed (cut the stock stock 2 port off and used the mounting bracket):

ACT XTSS clutch:

Picked up this mint condition Genome!

Last edited by batch on Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Batch's 04 XT - Forged, Cammed, 6 speed, GTX3076r
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:53 pm 

I Say: Fozzy fozzy fozzy, oi oi oi!
Vehicle: 2011 Forester S-Edition WRB

Nice genome

Post subject: Re: Batch's 04 XT - Runs..Guess the dyno numbers before Monday
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:39 pm 

UPDATE:

Finally got the whole engine assembled and loaded into the car. Pulled the crank angle sensor and primed/cranked the engine with no fuel or spark to get the oil flowing around. Then connect it back up and it started on first turnover! No leaks just yet, fingers crossed. Matt (ThrottleHappy) is coming down to Sydney on Monday and is tuning it on a local dyno. Exciting times

Will be changing the intake around next year, this one was a cheeky diy to just get me through

Had the exhaust all fitted up on Tuesday, it doesn't look so ricey in person trust me! It sits perfectly straight. Just need the sti rear bar to accommodate hint hint... Decided to keep the towbar for extra sleeper haha

What does everyone think the dyno numbers will be?? have guess below :thumbs:

Post subject: Re: Batch's 04 XT - Runs..Guess the dyno numbers before Mond
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:48 pm 

Car will be running 20-22psi might help with guessing numbers

Post subject: Re: Batch's 04 XT - Runs..Guess the dyno numbers before Mond
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:20 pm 

350hp

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 5   [ 45 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next