Change font size
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:46 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 30 of 35   [ 348 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jon's MY11 S-Edition SWP
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:03 pm 

Vehicle: MY11 S-Edition - SWP

My son is 4 hours into the required 120 hours - so a long way to go!! I am always concerned about him scraping the wheels or clipping a side mirror. So far so good. He has, and will be, doing most of his learning on his mum's car :) My car is a backup.

Before he gets his Ps I will be adding a switch (hidden under dash) in the wiring to the 3 port boost solenoid to turn it off so the car will only run wastegate pressure (7psi). It will still be good to drive but without the added power that could get him into trouble.

L/P plate holders are bloody ugly, hence why I painted them. I do wish NSW would follow VICs lead and allow them to be placed inside.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:05 pm 

I Say: 3 letters in the alphabet that should never be attributed to me...DIY

Gee that's look nice and neat mate!!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

190.6 atwkw | MSR | Invidia | STi | Process West | Cobb | Turbosmart | PSR | Pierburg | Whiteline | Perrin | Cusco | Hella | ROH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:32 am 

Vehicle: MY10 XT -

Nice work on the number plate cover :thumbs: . QLD the same ,can display L/P's on the inside of the car.
Mmmm, so what car has your son got in mind?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:48 am 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

MTBTRAIL wrote:
... so what car has your son got in mind?

Surely the answer has to be the cheapest sh*tbox that can be kept running with a bit of "learn as we go" elbow grease.

Everyone scratches/dings/spins/whatevers their first car so it may as well be low-powered and not an expensive write-off.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:55 am 

He is showing no interest in cars :( He is probably thinking the best car is mum or dads car!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:12 pm 

Everyone is different, but I only started showing an interest in cars when I got my first (a Datsun 120Y coupe) and my dad showed me how to work on it, hot it up etc.

For a kid getting his licence around now, perhaps the equivalent car to develop that passion/skills is a DOHC naturally aspirated Pulsar or Corolla that might respond well to a bit of attention?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:34 pm 

Vehicle: MY10 XT -

jonp wrote:
He is showing no interest in cars :( He is probably thinking the best car is mum or dads car!

Hmmmm mums car is looking good :lol: or what Yowie said.
Actually my son wasn't showing alot of interest in cars either but after buying his first car, which is a 98 GT forester....Ok I might of had a bit of a say in that :D he can't stop talking about what he wants to do next on it. I think I have created another me :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:22 pm 

I have always liked having good vision when driving at night and as such usually change my headlight bulbs for something brighter.

My SH already has Xenon HID low beam so all good there. I replaced the standard HB3 (9005) high beam bulbs with HIR1 (9011) bulbs as these are about 50% brighter - 1700 lumen vs 2530 lumen. These aren't just adding higher watt bulbs as this may damage wiring and/or the headlight lense. HIR1 bulbs use halogen infrared and a different bulb design to get a brighter light while still fitting into the stock head light and using the stock connection - basically a direct swap with only needing to remove about 3mm off the tab of the bulbs - https://store.candlepower.com/mohirbuba.html. I highly recommend this mod.

Although a great upgrade I wanted more :) I started looking into if I could swap the stock fog lights for spot lights as I never use the fog lights. I wanted the spot lights to fit into the same location and automatically come on when I used high beam. I did some research and could not find anyone that had done it. I posted about this change here on OzFoz about a year ago and no one here had swapped out the fog lights for spot lights BUT someone else also had the idea - Tobyo! Tobyo being Tobyo started to design a custom bracket so the all powerful Baja Squadron spot lights could be used as a direct swap. Happy days! I am sure many prototypes later Tobyo perfected the bracket. I installed them on the weekend. WOW, seriously impressive - both the quality bracket from Tobyo and the brightness and spread of the spot lights. I got the Baja Squadron Pro lights in a driving combo pattern which means the lights provide both distance and spread. They are 4900 lumen each!!! So I now have a total high beam of 14,860 lumen compared to the stock 3,400 - over 4 times the brightness with much much better coverage :)

Thanks Tobyo for the brackets!

Last edited by jonp on Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:28 pm 

Looks pretty menacing. :twisted:

For the Tobyo-spec foglight replacements, what is the light spread like compared to the factory foglights (which deliberately cut-off at a very low horizon)?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:48 pm 

I never used the factory foglights Yowie so can't compare. These have a huge spread - wide and high. Perfect for me but I imagine would be blinding if used in fog.

Edit: From the Baja website.....
Driving Combo: Maximum trail coverage in a single light.  The Driving/Combo pattern is equipped with both Wide Driving (42°) and the spot (6°) optics to provide you with a smooth blend of light for both near field applications and distance.

If you look at the light, the bottom two LEDs are for wide angle and the top two LEDs for spot/distance.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 30 of 35   [ 348 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 35  Next