Change font size
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:40 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 22 of 35   [ 346 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jon's MY11 S-Edition SWP
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:53 pm 

Vehicle: MY11 S-Edition - SWP

Great feedback on the ALK - thanks!

Mmmm - I like a more complaint ride (hence springs over coils, only a 20mm RSB) so I am now thinking twice about an ALK. Maybe I will start with the STI rack and see how that goes. This stepped approach will cost more (more labour, extra wheel alignment) but I may find the STI rack improves the steering enough - maybe?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:27 pm 

Vehicle: MY12 SWP E-EDITION

jonp wrote:

Mmmm - I like a more complaint ride (hence springs over coils, only a 20mm RSB) so I am now thinking twice about an ALK. Maybe I will start with the STI rack and see how that goes. This stepped approach will cost more (more labour, extra wheel alignment) but I may find the STI rack improves the steering enough - maybe?

Thoughts on GR/GV STI alloy control arms?

Previous Ride: MY04 XT Luxury - JDM STI SG9 Heart/VF41

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:40 pm 

Vehicle: MY09 XT Premium

jonp wrote:

I added HD steering rack bushes as well - this has firmed up the steering rack a little bit but obviously hasn't changed the ratio. It's definitely a weak area and IMO, you can only benefit from an STi swap.

Yowie wrote:
On my understanding the Anti-Lift-Kit adds caster.
The NVH difference is noticeable. [Interestingly, i drove James' car for a bit and found it had less NVH than mine despite being on lower struts].

We might have to compare again because I found the opposite when driving your car haha. At road speeds the ALK is borderline annoying, but it might be accentuated by the firmer strut/spring which ends up transferring NVH into the cabin rather than absorbing it. We did speak about the extra caster possibly being the culprit here as well. I'll be ordering those adjustable strut tops on the weekend and aim to pull some caster out of the front (maybe around 5deg L+R instead of 5.7/6.3deg atm) and I'll be happy to report back if this has made any change to NVH, though I don't expect it to. Depending on how much static negative camber I can get with the strut tops, I might even have them pull even more caster out (aim for ~4deg) as the dynamic camber won't be as necessary, so in theory I won't need as much caster. Maybe? It's all pretty foreign to me :dontknow:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:38 am 

I haven’t thought about GR/GB STI alloy control arms. Maybe next time as my car is booked in for this week to have rack installed.

I was thinking about new steering rack bushes but was advised that although they do improve steering response they also add lots of NVH. As such was not doing with those - it is all a compromise between performance and comfort.

I did a bit more reading and the general internet feedback is ALK are well worth it. That said, it is not very often someone does a mod to a car and says it was not a good thing - positive bias - so it is great to get peoples honest views on here :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:23 pm 

jonp wrote:
I haven’t thought about GR/GB STI alloy control arms. Maybe next time as my car is booked in for this week to have rack installed.

I was thinking about new steering rack bushes but was advised that although they do improve steering response they also add lots of NVH. As such was not doing with those - it is all a compromise between performance and comfort.

I did a bit more reading and the general internet feedback is ALK are well worth it. That said, it is not very often someone does a mod to a car and says it was not a good thing - positive bias - so it is great to get peoples honest views on here :)

If you can find a "comfort" ALK, buy that one. I took a drive over a bridge yesterday and the NVH was shockingly bad going over those grid lines. I regret buying the ALK for the NVH alone but it definitely helps where it's supposed to. The only thing I can't pinpoint is the relationship between NVH and the combination of ALK/RCA.

Very interested to hear your thoughts when you get the ALK installed.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:37 pm 

I contacted Whiteline. The KCA334 is softer than the KCA334M and is the most compliant whilst incorporating anti lift feature. I could look at other brands that adjust caster only but not the bushes. Still reviewing :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:02 pm 

jonp wrote:
I contacted Whiteline. The KCA334 is softer than the KCA334M and is the most compliant whilst incorporating anti lift feature. I could look at other brands that adjust caster only but not the bushes. Still reviewing :)

I should have my Com C strut tops here this week and will book it in for fitting and alignment ASAP. I'll get them to pull some caster out and I'll see if that makes any change to NVH. Whiteline's RCA kit has no marked increase in NVH - so it's either down to the amount of caster I have, the ALK itself or a combination of ALK/RCA/STi struts/caster that's giving me grief. If I had oodles of money I would have fitted each part separately with an alignment in between so I could understand the differences in behaviour and NVH. I at least know the STi struts made no difference in NVH at all, just a firmer ride.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:18 pm 

JamesMR_ the below info is from a Whiteline document (http://www.whiteline.com.au/articles/Ef ... 0ALK_b.pdf) seems to indicate NVH should not increase with ALK???

Additional Discussion – Anti-Dive and NVH

Many sources describe that too much Anti-dive in the front end of suspension systems can have adverse effects. Anti-dive percentages of more than 50% are rarely seen in vehicles without very careful design to the suspension systems (for example non- compliant bearing type joints on the suspension), and some recommend (“Tune to Win” Carroll Smith) no more than 30% be used as even this much will have an undesirable effect.

The effect of Anti-dive is to increase the loading of the suspension components and suspension bushes. This increases deflection in the system that can affect the geometry (for example reducing castor under braking), and also increases friction in the bushes, which could lead to suspension lockup and less than adequate wheel tracking over the ground.

Such “stiction” and load transfer through the control arms into the chassis all work to raise the levels of NVH (noise vibration harshness). By decreasing the anti-dive from 23% to 0% with the ALK, any NVH associated with the anti-dive in the Subaru WRX has been removed, therefore assuming all things being the same (apart from the installation of a Whiteline ALK) there should be less NVH present.
This gives scope to increase the bush stiffness in search of enhanced suspension geometry control. Therefore it is can be possible to stiffen the bushes of the front suspension without raising the NVH level when the car is fitted with an ALK.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:17 pm 

Thanks for that link. I'll give it a read tonight. Have trawled some posts on iwsti and the like, comparing strut tops, ALK's etc. Some have noticed NVH with the ALK, some haven't. Some notice NVH with strut tops, some haven't. I'm thinking it might just be my setup with everything combined that's giving me that additional harsheness when going over lines and cracks in the road.

What suspension are you on? The S-Edition had struts/springs in the back instead of the SLS correct?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:52 pm 

I am running stock S-Edition shocks front and back. These are firmer than standard XT shocks. They are also non SLS as standard. I have Tein high tech springs, Perrin subframe lockdown kit and 20mm RSB.

Result is about 30-40mm drop in height with a ride close to standard comfort but far less body roll.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 22 of 35   [ 346 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 35  Next