It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:41 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 25 of 27   [ 261 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Yowie's SH turbo
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:25 pm 

Vehicle: MY09 XT Premium

Yowie wrote:
Cheers.

Hopefully they keep working out as planned. Some locktite in the turbo flange threads might help too, but I'm being a p*ssy until the concept has proven itself more.

I suppose I could lock two normal nuts against each other then remove a loctited stud that way if needed.

(high tensile steel studs btw, I think brass would have its own issues under tension)

High tensile steel, that's what i said :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:01 pm 

I Say: Do or do not, there is no try.
Vehicle: MY17 BRZ, MY11 BT-50

Good work for a back-yarder.

It would be nice if it was a wiggins style clamp from the get-go.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:18 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

It can't be much of a jump between screwing something into a threaded hole and building a Bram-spec racing engine :lol:

---

Something turned up in the mail today:-

There is literally more bulk in the bezel than there is behind the facia plate:-

(final installation won't be on this bracket, it's just for sh*t-hey purposes for now)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:36 am 

Vehicle: MY11 S-Edition - SWP

I am thinking the same about forged pistons and slapping in a daily driver. As my car doesn't get to full operating temperature and high boost all that often, stock pistons may be the go for me if I need to do a rebuild.

Your turbo/intercooler bolt change is a great idea. I have read many posts about bolts snapping and the major headache this causes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:56 am 

jonp wrote:
I am thinking the same about forged pistons and slapping in a daily driver. As my car doesn't get to full operating temperature and high boost all that often, stock pistons may be the go for me if I need to do a rebuild.

To be clear, i'm not holding myself out as an expert on this, i'm just reading and learning as i go. I recommend this book Re performance engine building (including the pistons chapter/s):-

Four-Stroke Performance Tuning: Fourth edition Fourth Edition (by A Graham Bell) https://www.amazon.com/Four-Stroke-Perf ... 0857331256

Apart from anything else, it seems that there are more piston options than just "stock hypereutectic" or "forged". Eg different metal alloys & silicon blends across a range, depending on what you want Re expansion, durability, cost, etc.

The more I've been reading, the more I've gained respect for the "road car" way of doing things for a road car when you look at the compromises that go into making a race engine. Eg narrow intake runners for good lower-range intake swirl (and better fuel atomisation, power, etc in that rev range) rather than just porting everything out to maximum size.

jonp wrote:
Your turbo/intercooler bolt change is a great idea. I have read many posts about bolts snapping and the major headache this causes.

That is interesting. I would have thought the alloy threads in the turbo flange would be the weak point. Perhaps some people are really cranking on the bolts.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:15 am 

I Say: Do or do not, there is no try.
Vehicle: MY17 BRZ, MY11 BT-50

With the STi version of forged pistons in my bug-eye the slap was gone in about a minute and I only really noticed it because I didn't have a HU and speakers to offset the noise.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:20 pm 

This weekend I installed the wideband sensor and temporarily mounted the gauge (final cabin mounting solution on the way).

Here's a pic-heavy walk-through for people who aren't fussed on clean engine bays or quality photography.

The Xforce dump pipe comes with a threaded hole for an O2 sensor blocked by a bung. I marked the location on the insulation blanket with paint:-

...which turned out to be unnecessary because the bung made its own impression in the wire-backed insulation anyway. Here you can also see the abrasion caused by the stainless backing mesh on the parts where the blanket folds back on itself:-

I cut a hole of approximately 30mm in the Perrin downpipe blanket using scissors (now ruined) to cut the stainless steel mesh and two 30mm steel washers to guide a pilot hole then bolt together. I then cut around the washers with a box-cutter, then trimmed back the excess white insulation, then used a bit of black heat-resistant paint for aesthetics and to hopefully seal the fluffy cut edge:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ftOKO0nx-w

This pic gives a sense of how far the O2 sensor pokes into the exhaust flow:-

You get this much tail on the AEM (probably Bosch) Wideband sensor. Unlike the factory O2 sensors, that plug won't fit through the ring of a 22mm spanner:-

Since the ring end of a 22mm spanner won't work with the extra-large plug, it's worthwhile grabbing a proper slotted O2 sensor socket to do the sensor up properly (as opposed to using an open-ender):-

Because my car is an auto, I have this big firewall hole/grommet through which the large wideband plug can pass. Accordingly, I drilled a hole for the bundle of wires then cut a slot downwards in the grommet to be able to slot the wire in and leave the plug on the cabin side of the firewall.

If you have a manual transmission car (where that large hole/grommet is taken up with clutch machinery I think) you probably need to stash the large plug on the engine side and poke the relevant AEM-supplied wiring harness small-plug-first through one of the smaller firewall holes.

(also shown but not relevant are my UHF antenna cable and vacuum line for boost gauge going through the same grommet)

For such a sophisticated bit of gear, the wiring couldn't be simpler - just power and ground. I used a Narva "add a circuit" (with 5A fuse) into one of the many "ignition" circuit fuse slots in the cabin fuse panel. I earthed it on one of the bolts holding the OBD2 socket under the dash (no wiring shown here).

I intercepted and grounded the earth wire about half way along the supplied length so the loose end was free to go into a DB9 computer plug (along with the appropriate 5V signal wire) for datalogging purposes. I'll put the DB9 datalogging plug on another weekend.

There are loads of extra wires for two other types of data-logging. I just sealed those ends with heat-shrink.

With a wideband O2 sensor you can't just put it in the bung but not run it on the controller because (I assume) the lack of electrical heating would cause it to jam up with filth.

As a temporary measure I used an off-the-shelf L-bracket dual gauge mount to locate the AEM gauge next to my boost gauge on the steering column. It blocks the tacho, but at least it's mounted for now:-

The more permanent mounting solution will be an elongated "figure 8" that hangs the gauge out in the space between the edge of the steering wheel and the double-din stereo.

I'll post updates on that as some fabrication work comes together.

Thanks for reading.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:40 am 

Vehicle: MY10 XT -

Nice work mate, good to see you got your gauges hooked up. Will be great to see your more permanent mounting solution. I also had started my gauge bracket and have parts of it cut out in stainless but just haven't finished it yet as I ended up focusing on a couple of other things on the foz but I will get back to it. I was thinking though, on a positive note, that by then Tobyo would of come up with some perfect design that is a few decades ahead of time (hehehe)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:07 am 

I Say: There's no 'i' in Team, but there is in Winner!
Vehicle: MY10 XT

Not this time :lol: . Yowie is the designer and Im just asking “how high” when he says jump :ok:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:20 am 

I'll take all the credit if it works.

If it's a stuff-up I'll blame Tobyo's notoriously lax workmanship...

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 25 of 27   [ 261 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next