Change font size
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:05 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 14 of 17   [ 166 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Yowie's SH turbo
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:56 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

UHF install

I bought a "value pack" Oricom UHF car radio that included an antenna, coaxial cable and bonnet-edge bracket. The radio head-unit has a built-in speaker plus provision for an external speaker if you like.

https://www.oricom.com.au/oricom-uhf-cb ... -pack.html

The standard bonnet-edge bracket is no good because it doesn't take into account the non-horizontal angle of the bonnet gutter. An off-the-shelf angled antenna bracket from Supercheap was easily modified to fit an the angle was close enough deliberately slightly forward-leaning so that it becomes vertical at highway speeds....

You can take out one of the factory M6 bolts in the bonnet gutter to position the bracket.

The rubberised loop has been added to control where the cable goes.

I ran the coaxial cable across the firewall using an unused rung of a factory "line holder" (?).

The large rubber blanking plate is the perfect place to send the cable through the firewall. I drilled a hole in the rubber to do this.

You can simplify the internal power wiring by using an "Add a circuit" accessory to the fuse panel. This one is Narva brand. I've plugged it into the Accessory circuit (clearly labelled on the fuse panel lid - thanks Subaru!) so that the radio can be used with the key set to "accessory" but is otherwise automatically off.

If I had the need for the radio to be useful even without the keys in the car (eg camping?) I could move the "add a circuit" to a circuit that is always powered.

The negative wire is earthed to some of the metal frame for the centre console.

The Radio head unit comes with a steel bracket that allows the radio to be swivelled up or down. The steel bracket can be screwed in place, but I used some 3M "plastic Velcro hooks style" 2-piece tape to stick this in place. I didn't fancy attempting to drill upwards into the plastic trim from a spot that wouldn't permit my cordless drill to access. The tape/Velcro also allows easy re-positioning or removal.

The only other hole I needed to drill for this installation was a small hole in the plastic trim at the back of that cubby-hole to allow the coax cable and power cable to reach the back of the head unit.

The parts of the coax cable that connect to the head unit are quite inflexible once all the connectors are taken into account, so I had to abandon "plan A" of running the wires down through existing holes in the back/roof of that cubby hole.

For the moment I'm stashing the handset (not shown) in the cubby hole rather than drilling the mounting clip onto some other part of the interior trim. I don't plan on talking on the radio very much (eg just for Subaru cruises or asking about freeway delays) so the mic doesn't need to be in a "quick-draw" location.

For a couple of trips today I listened to some UHF chatter on "scan mode" and some of it was fairly amusing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:08 pm 

Exterior shot with the new antenna.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:20 am 

Here's a tip if you switch to E85.

Just because your head breather catch can collected stuff-all on petrol, doesn't mean the same will apply on E85:-

This is one of two containers' worth of condensed blow-by vapour I drained out of the head breather catch can tonight.

If the fluid level wasn't starting to interfere with the breathing at the top of the can, it must have been close!

It's probably been accumulating since the switch to E85. I need to take the plastic under-guard off to access the drain valve for the head breather catch can, so it's been easy to put off checking it. :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:25 am 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

Lots of cold starts right there. That will be mostly condensation thats collected. With a small amount of oil, fuel and shmoo.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:05 am 

I Say: There's no 'i' in Team, but there is in Winner!
Vehicle: MY10 XT

I initially was going to replicate your setup Yowie (great DIY by the way), but the tuner warned about the smaller catch cans. I honestly found it hard to fathem that one could fill them until i just saw your post :shock:
I changed intakes so i could actually have some room and put in the larger ones with easy access to the petcock valves. (Currently making up the brackets for them)

Attachments:
IMG_9006.JPG
IMG_9006.JPG [ 280.49 KiB | Viewed 73 times ]

Last edited by Tobyo on Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:49 am 

Vehicle: MY10 XT -

I was thinking but now convinced. I will have to look into the purchase of a pair and which ones do the job they are intended to do. Obviously yours does.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:58 am 

Tobyo wrote:
I initially was going to replicate your setup Yowie (great DIY by the way), but the tuner warned about the smaller catch cans. I honestly found it hard to fathem that one could fill them until i just saw your post :shock:
I changed intakes so i could actually have some room and put in the larger ones with easy access to the petcock valves. (Currently making up the brackets for them)

My Mishi "compact" running on the crank case gets emptied weekly because the drain valve hangs down next to the gearbox and is easy to access. I drain about a centimetre of fluid (in that Coles container) out of it every week. If i ignored it too long that one would become an issue pretty quickly.

Last night's picture comes from my Kapp (full size) head breather catch can mounted next to the radiator. In terms of draining it more regularly i probably have the choice of:-

(a) taking the under-tray off every 2 or 3 weeks to drain it;

(b) cutting a neat hole in the under-tray to reach the drain valve; or

(c) extending the drain hose with some 10mm elbows so the ball valve is at a more accessible point.

I'll probably just do (a) for a while and get a sense of how quickly it fills.

---

The lack of filling in the Kapp can on petrol had me applying some faulty logic to assume that the head breather system only draws in air from the pre-turbo pipe (to circulate through the crank then come out the crank breather) rather than sending anything back the other way. Clearly not. :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:12 pm 

In not-quite two weeks my head breathers catch can (the Kapp item pictured)...

...collected another plastic container load (metric) of that smelly water. At least it wasn't two of those plastic container loads like last time.

By my estimation the Kapp catch-can would hold about 2.5 of those plastic containers, so it would be about a monthly draining cycle if I wanted to do the bare minimum. It would run the risk of hydro-locking the head breathing function if I misjudged of course!

Also, the Mishimoto "compact" sized catch can is clearly inadequate for head breathers in E85 but fine for crank case venting (in my car at least). It's a bit of luck that the big Kapp can ended up on the head breathers.

The original positioning decisions were made based on "what can fits best where, with the simplest/shortest hose runs?".

Last edited by Yowie on Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:14 pm 

Vehicle: MY10 XT -

Hey mate how is the auto trans going? Have you been able to clock up the k's and get it all run in? So are you able to test the power now.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:40 pm 

The auto gearbox seems to have settled in nicely.

I've probably moved on a bit from "stomping on it from stationary" in order to save on gearbox wear.

Instead I'm manually selecting gears and giving the car medium throttle & revs in first, then giving it more in 2nd then 3rd, etc. It still lights up the traction control pretty readily on a dry road accelerating that way.

I probably haven't tested the full power of it yet. There isn't a long enough stretch of suitable tarmac handy. Overtaking on single-lane-each-way 100kph country roads is probably the closest I've come to giving it 100% (although probably not to the redline) and it really moves.

Apart from discussion of "giving it 100%", the car drives nicely with a gentle right foot but:-

(a) with a bit more throttle becomes a "big block" naturally aspirated car in terms of effortless/easy acceleration (modest throttle & revs); and

(b) turns into a demon as soon as you deliberately give it a bit more.

The torque is just extraordinary on E85. I could take it back to the tuner to add more boost (over the unchanged 16psi from petrol) but there may not be any point unless I get into some form of motorsports with it.

With all the debate flying around for "this turbo or that one?" switching to E85 seems to be an under-utilised significant performance increase option.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 14 of 17   [ 166 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next