Change font size
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:35 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 13 of 16   [ 158 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Yowie's SH turbo
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:01 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

Yowie wrote:
Hypothetically I'll get my car back next week, although Murphys Law says it won't be that easy.

In the meantime I'm borrowing a BA or BF Ford Falcon with faulty traction control from the auto transmission shop. While I'm grateful for the borrow-car, we are certainly spoiled with foresters. Getting home in the wet on Friday night was a bit of a white-knuckle experience. With the traction control not working there is no throttle application subtle enough to stop the rear wheels from spinning in the wet! It's mainly an issue on take-off from stationary.

---

I fail to see how that is an issue :dontknow: loan cars are made for skids. They just gave you an easy one.
Quote:

No the installed cooler isn't the Davies Craig unit I bought. I don't know the dimensions of the new one. The installed one is a bit bigger (not that much) and they might have positioned it slightly in front of that steel centre section behind the grille rather than in the gap next to it. I didn't get long for a proper look.

The Davies Craig cooler can be purchased here for an excellent price:-

http://ozfoz.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=56902

With the upcoming cost of the gearbox rebuild, buying my Davies Craig would be a bargain AND an act of charity.*

[*seek your own tax advice]

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:55 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

"nothing handles like a hire-car" :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:02 am 

I Say: Fozzy fozzy fozzy, oi oi oi!
Vehicle: 2011 Forester S-Edition WRB

Yowie wrote:
"nothing handles like a hire-car" :lol:

http://www.aces.edu/~parmega/articles/neon/
:lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:06 pm 

Vehicle: SH MY08 XT manual - Black

Hi Yowie,

Thats a serious amount of mods :thumbs:

Am going to have to keep a look out for you once its back and tearing up the road.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:44 pm 

clayq wrote:

That's awesome.

Luc wrote:
Thats a serious amount of mods :thumbs:

Am going to have to keep a look out for you once its back and tearing up the road.

Cheers Luc

Funny, in my own mind the car has barely scratched the surface compared to some of the big mods we read about on here (built engines, big turbos, coilover suspension, etc). I've tried to keep mine an economical drivable sleeper. Two out of three aint bad :lol:

Current prediction is having the car back with a rebuilt gearbox (and much lighter wallet) on Tuesday 30 May.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:01 pm 

I've just picked up the car from the auto gearbox rebuild.

Apparently it's best not to go "full noise" for about 30 days to allow the clutch packs time to wear-in.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:37 am 

Vehicle: MY10 XT -

"30 DAYS" To go hard was just not meant to be. How tempted are you :lol: Then again the outlay$,the outlay$$,the outlay$$$ :roll: :cry:
I hope that has helped with any temptation (hehehe)

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 2:52 pm 

Vehicle: MY12 XT Premium Auto White

I am a bit confused by the limit of 30 days?

What if you only drive the car once week or everyday for 30 days?

I would have thought that kilometers driven and under what conditions would influence the 4EAT break in more than days. Logic behind this anyone?

Cheers Al

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:03 pm 

I don't think it's an exact science, at least not until someone has the budget to disassemble and lab-test a rebuilt gearbox weekly to write a report on ideal wear-in conditions & timeframe. That won't be me :lol:

As it turns out i drive the car in varying conditions 5-6 days a week so i'm pretty happy with the "30 days" approximate recommendation.

----

Other points of interest (or rules of thumb, or old wive's tales) from the gearbox guys are:-

1. popping the gearbox into Neutral while waiting at lights (etc) is not ideal because it reduces cooling circulation and adds wear by popping in and out of gear more often;

2. changing down to assist deceleration is ok, but not if the revs/load are too high. The proprietor says he only down-changes on steep decents (and not in urban driving).

[I'll probably continue to do mild down shifts for urban deceleration and cornering]

3. They use Penrite "ATF FS" full synthetic gearbox fluid.

4. Recommended gearbox service interval 12 months or 20,000kms. Their version of a service involves removing the oilpan to check the contents etc (cf a mere "power flush" or mere "fluid change").

[interestingly, the impression I get from Subaru mechanics and the service manual is that changing fluid is all that is ever required. I'm inclined to not believe that.]

5. Dynos can be really hard on auto gearboxes. My tuner made the same comment.

[I'm now minded to be a bit more selective about how often it needs a re-tune on the dyno. There is more potential in the engine now that the gearbox is fixed (eg raising boost) but the car is already a "torque monster" so any increase would just be to see a higher number on a piece of paper.]

---

On some related notes:-

(a) I'll try to find out if any re-setting of torque request tables (etc - as referenced by the gearbox) is desirable for gearbox longevity.

(b) With the rebuilt gearbox the car might feel slower at "full noise" because it's engaging gears rather than building up slingshot energy by slipping. Depending on how that goes it will either be "fine by me" or i'll continue to contemplate whether a re-tune to slightly soften the "torque hit" may be in order to preserve the drivetrain and make the car a bit more predictable for spirited driving.

(c) Speaking of milder manners, the "2 settings" boost controllers are intriguing however the ideal would be to somehow attach an "SI Drive" set of hardware to the car with 3 tune settings ("valet", "GT sport" and "apesh!t"). Obviously different tunes can be "flashed" from a laptop but it's hardly something you can do in 1 second while driving.

A lot of this "multi setting" stuff is just geeky speculation. Budget and reality suggests I'll just learn to control my right foot and gear selection more precisely and that will be the end of it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:56 pm 

Vehicle: MY12 XT Premium Auto White

Yowie, thanks for posting this up. I tend to grit my teeth when drivers hold their vehicle still on a incline with the automatic.
I have the habit of going to neutral when stopped. I will relearn to keep engaged!

I also use Penrite "ATF FS" full synthetic gearbox fluid.
#4 seems like a bit of selling their services?
: 4. Recommended gearbox service interval 12 months or 20,000kms. Their version of a service involves removing the oilpan to check the contents etc
I think your right with this:
[interestingly, the impression I get from Subaru mechanics and the service manual is that changing fluid is all that is ever required. I'm inclined to not believe that.]
Yep this is a killer on autos:
5. Dynos can be really hard on auto gearboxes. My tuner made the same comment.

You have all this month of June to run your 4EAT in.
To use an old ComCar Driver saying:

Hurry up and wait!
Cheers Al

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 13 of 16   [ 158 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next