Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chips SF STi II Type M - Big Brake Kit pg24
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:44 pm 

Vehicle: MY01 GT-silver

yes your right that's a lotta toes right there!!! :ok:

btw new set up fills out rims real nice :thumbs:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:06 pm 

I Say: Needs more positive manifold pressure.
Vehicle: MY01 S/tb - MY01 STi II Type M

Car is booked in for a wheel alignment on Wednesday. in the mean time I had a look at the thermo-graphic paint markings on the old T3 rotors. If they're accurate Iv'e had them up around the 630deg C mark. So, they were copping a beating.

MY01 GT -Unfinished Project

Post subject: Re: Chips SF STi II Type M - Front control arm's in pg24
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:18 pm 

Vehicle: MY10 XT SWP

Chips wrote:
The Big Brake Kit arrived today. Good timing too as I had the day off so I proceeded to bolt it on.

Hey mate,

Is this the Godspeed kit?

https://www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk/imprez ... rsion.html

Cheers
craig.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:24 pm 

I'm not sure what brand it is to be honest. But the rotor and brackets look slightly different than that kit. So I'd say that it's not the Godspeed kit.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:00 pm 

Took the car for a few runs up the Oxley highway past Mt. Seaview over the weekend to put the brakes thought their paces and get a feel for the new alignment.

The brakes held up spectacularly with the new larger rotors. The pads still get smelly, but there was no signs of brake fade, where I'd normally have to baby the brakes to keep the pads from overheating and fading. This means I'll be able to push the car a little faster between turns now as I shouldn't have to limit myself as much to keep the brakes working. I'm very happy with that!

The front end has a lot more grip now with the wider track thanks to the GDB arms and the more aggressive alignment. The rear also felt more planted during higher speed turns. Although I did bottom out the coilovers on a few of the bumpier sections of road and I do think they would benefit from a slightly higher spring rate, or harder dampener. Unfortunately with this model coilover the dampener is non adjustable.

Over all I'm very happy with the latest round of tweaks. Next track day is Sunday at Raleigh Raceway 15mins south of Coffs Harbour.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 2:33 am 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

Chips wrote:
Took the car for a few runs up the Oxley highway past Mt. Seaview over the weekend to put the brakes thought their paces and get a feel for the new alignment.

The brakes held up spectacularly with the new larger rotors. The pads still get smelly, but there was no signs of brake fade, where I'd normally have to baby the brakes to keep the pads from overheating and fading. This means I'll be able to push the car a little faster between turns now as I shouldn't have to limit myself as much to keep the brakes working. I'm very happy with that!

The front end has a lot more grip now with the wider track thanks to the GDB arms and the more aggressive alignment. The rear also felt more planted during higher speed turns. Although I did bottom out the coilovers on a few of the bumpier sections of road and I do think they would benefit from a slightly higher spring rate, or harder dampener. Unfortunately with this model coilover the dampener is non adjustable.

Over all I'm very happy with the latest round of tweaks. Next track day is Sunday at Raleigh Raceway 15mins south of Coffs Harbour.

I found when i went from 332 to 355mm rotors, the larger rotors made a massive difference to thermal handling of the brake system.

People often think big brakes means the car must stop well. When infact big brakes is alot more about handling the heat from repeated stops, and continuing to stop well, than it is about stopping well in the first place. Good to see that you can notice the improvement with the big brake setup.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:33 pm 

Bram wrote:
Chips wrote:

I found when i went from 332 to 355mm rotors, the larger rotors made a massive difference to thermal handling of the brake system.

People often think big brakes means the car must stop well. When infact big brakes is alot more about handling the heat from repeated stops, and continuing to stop well, than it is about stopping well in the first place. Good to see that you can notice the improvement with the big brake setup.

Stock SF GT brakes are large enough to stop from speed once...

All my brake upgrades have always been about thermal performance. Day to day driving with this setup you wouldn't notice a difference. But they certainly last longer in the hills with repeated high speed hard braking.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:04 pm 

Took the type M racing on Sunday. Competed in a Lap Dash event at Raleigh Raceway about 15mins south of Coffs Harbour. The car performed really well, except for a failed front left wheel bearing. Due to this I had to pull out in the later half of the day. I did manage to get 3 timed runs in and 2 non timed runs due to some issues with the timing gear.

On the day, the track was extremely slippery so I was having traction issues and fighting under steer and diminished braking capacity and traction out of corners when applying power all day. But, I wasn't the only one. A lot of people I talked to said the same thing. Every timed lap was quicker than my last, so I shouldn't really complain. I also played with the tyre pressures for the first time, instead of just leaving them at the 38psi cold I have them set to for road use.

The track also has some very tight corners. I think I would benefit greatly from a quick rack if I decide I want to make this event a regular thing.

Modifications and improvement wise I'll be seriously looking into some stiffer coilovers and maybe a clutched rear LSD in the future.

Anyway, pics and videos!

Post subject: Re: Chips SF STi II Type M - Track Day pg25
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:37 pm 

I Say: Corners > Straights
Vehicle: 2010 XT Premium 5MT C6Z

Huzzah for pics and videos!

Bonus points for drone footage ;] Now to work out how we can get sound out of the drone...

2010 SH XT Premium 5MT C6Z

Instagram - Hardy.Photographika

Post subject: Re: Chips SF STi II Type M - Track Day pg25
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:13 am 

Vehicle: Evo IX GT wagon

Great stuff!

www.instagram.com/uzumaki.garage

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 25 of 26   [ 254 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next