Change font size
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:27 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 29 of 29   [ 290 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
 Post subject: Re: Crenity's XT to STI Conversion Build
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:31 pm 

Vehicle: MY05 XT Luxury (STI SG9 Swap)

Update!

So after finally getting the airbags sorted, I took the tug up to falls creek with some friends for a good 5 day sesh! Everything went well - the RE003's defs aren't ideal on snow but I wasn't expecting much :lol: Didn't have to fit any chains which was good too, and apart from going through about 700 litres of fuel from Geelong to Falls, it was an absolute breeze!

After fitting the whispbars

First time she's been snowed on post-japan i'm sure

Post snow clearing off

And of course, obligatory pic with the DSLR :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:48 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

Good pics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx7qEn9q2Rc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:40 pm 

Vehicle: Evo IX GT wagon

www.instagram.com/uzumaki.garage

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:30 pm 

I Say: Every time you yawn a ghost puts his dick in your mouth.
Vehicle: 2005 MY05 XT Lux

Nice. :)

I like beans. I like sauce. I like sexual intercourse.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:59 pm 

Another long awaited update.

Car has been running well - probably slightly neglected over winter but that's always the way, right? :lol:

I've since installed a Grimspeed 3-port boost solenoid and had it re-tuned by throttlehappy. I have to say, after the tune it was running brilliantly, but similarly to how it seemed the first time I had it re-tuned, after a few days, cold starts started becoming quite jumpy at certain throttle positions, and over-all power was decreasing and not applying smoothly. After contacting him about what could be a cause, he said he went through some logs and decided a dirty/old O2 sensor was most likely to blame. So, because i'm lazy AF, I decided to order one online before ripping the old one out and having a look (not that I could tell what i'm looking at anyway :dontknow:)

I found a bunch of conflicting information online, but throttle happy specifically told me to steer clear of the 'cheap eBay denso ones" as they apparently aren't calibrated correctly for these engines and put out incorrect readings.

Pic of my overpriced sensor which ended up being ~$200 del from amayama

I'm hopefully going to get it tuned in the coming weeks once I install the new sensor, and hoping all will be good for some lovely great ocean road cruises in the warmer days.

Some other fun stuff that's happened -
My brakes were shuddery, not gripping well and because I like wasting all my money, I decided they were in need of replacement.
After a bit of research, I found a lot of people raving about the QFM HPX pads, and because i'm a glorified street racer I totally needed some slotted rotors to match my new found stopping powers.

I went with the DBA T2 Slotted rotors. The part numbers and prices are below for those interested - Fitment wise they should do most 02-07 STI's forester or impreza that I know of considering the rotors are dual PCD (5x100 and 5x114.3)

DB1521HPX QFM HPX Brake Pads AU$79.00
DB1678HPX QFM HPX Brake Pads AU$79.00
DBA654S-10 DBA Street Series T2 Slotted Brake Rotors AU$336.60
DBA655S-10 DBA Street Series T2 Slotted Brake Rotors AU$260.70

Pics of old rotors

The fronts were pretty much on their replacement spec (new should be 30mm and replaced at 28mm)

Funnily enough, the rears were above their new spec, but I didn't want to do any funny stuff only replacing front 2 and not the rear 2 considering they're a safety feature, so off they came too (new should be 20mm, replaced at 18mm)

Now, i'm sure a lot of you can see this coming, but either i'm a spastic (likely) or i've fallen fate to the classis brembo welding itself to the bolt trick. Either way, after pulling the bolt off my front left lower caliper, this is what the inside of the thread looked like.

I did a bit of research (see a trend here?) and of course, found pages and pages of people reporting the same issues, due to 1, the metals being different compounds which apparently causes a chemical reaction between the two, and causes 'galvanic corrosion' where the aluminum 'bonds' to the steel. This can mean that if this happens at the end of the bolt thread, when you remove it from the caliper, it builds up and effectively cross-threads the entire caliper whilst you slowly and painfully pull it out.

My plan is to purchase a Time-sert thread repair kit in the M12x1.5 size, and use some 16mm inserts to repair the existing thread, though I can't seem to find a supplier of them in Australia and Amazon doesn't want to send overseas to here for their specific sets.

I funnily enough did manage to bolt back into the caliper which I can only assume has lightly re-tapped the thread back into the caliper, but I'm wanting to get this sorted asap just to be sure.

New rotors fitted

Then of course, gave her a quick wash/wax and vwallah!

Have also installed some bonnet gas struts which i'll post about next time, and hopefully also add some low/change wheels if my spare time permits.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:04 pm 

Vehicle: XTI05 & XTI06

I had the same problem with my front right brembo & the bolt ended up falling out on the highway.
Let me send you my time-sert kit so you can fix it.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3496

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:59 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

What about simply going oversize bolts? You could possibly tap the next largest size. (Maybe next largest unc/unf size as they are usually half sizes between the metric sizes.)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:43 am 

lukesbizzy wrote:
I had the same problem with my front right brembo & the bolt ended up falling out on the highway.
Let me send you my time-sert kit so you can fix it.
Honestly if I could work something out with you (either buy or rent it off you) that would be awesome. PM'd

Bram wrote:
What about simply going oversize bolts? You could possibly tap the next largest size. (Maybe next largest unc/unf size as they are usually half sizes between the metric sizes.)

I thought about this, and it's discussed a fair bit on the forums, but you still end up with a steel/aluminium bolt to thread which means the exact same thing could happen the next time, and with the thickness of the steel that the hub goes through.. i'm not keen to try that, it looks impressively tough :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:23 pm 

Vehicle: Black My07 XT

i thought the brembo caliper bolt was a different thread pitch to a normal caliper bolt. i put money on that being the issue in both cases

edit
https://www.gotitrex.com.au/buying/brem ... onversion/
Quote:
Front calipers

The front calipers and rotors will fit straight on to your standard hubs on all Subaru liberty, foresters and Imprezas, On some models the backing plate might foul the inside of the larger brembo disc but this can be easily removed with a few bolts. Brembo calipers use a different thread pitch so the correct bolts will also be needed to be used to mount them. The Brake lines will also be needed as they are different to any others available on Subaru’s or many aftermarket performance options are available.

For Sale.
Polisher, Exhaust, STi Alloy Rear Lateral Links, Sub boxes + more

For Sale.
Leather seats, Early and Late Fog Lights

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:43 pm 

Vehicle: MY06 XT - Black

I think there was also some workshop manuals with the incorrect torque number for the caliper bolts, so lots of people were doing them up way to tight and munching the aluminium.

Could always call a thread repair guy? Oversize bolt and some anti-seize (adjust torque to suit) could also work.

FC RX7 Track Build

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 29 of 29   [ 290 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29