Change font size
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:24 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 28 of 29   [ 290 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: Crenity's XT to STI Conversion Build
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:21 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

Pull the entire SRS system out. Then trick the instrument cluster to turn the light off. The ligjt works backwards to what you would expect. That is the light goes off when the circuit is on. And if the circuit is off, then the ligjt goes on. Easy to swap around with an ign switched relay at the instrument cluster.

Then you can fit fixed backs and 6 point harness for racer street cred.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:49 pm 

Vehicle: MY05 XT Luxury (STI SG9 Swap)

Bye Evo wrote:
get the SRS ECU scanned and it will show what codes are causing the light.

Also check all SRS Fuses are in and working

Thanks for the reply! I checked all fuses, all were good. I also had a lend of a tactrix from a friend in the hopes that I would be able to see a fault code using BTSSM, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to throw airbag fault codes up only CEL codes.

Bram wrote:
Pull the entire SRS system out. Then trick the instrument cluster to turn the light off. The ligjt works backwards to what you would expect. That is the light goes off when the circuit is on. And if the circuit is off, then the ligjt goes on. Easy to swap around with an ign switched relay at the instrument cluster.

Then you can fit fixed backs and 6 point harness for racer street cred.

Haha.. I don't need encouragement for this. Might also quickly slap in that hydro handbrake you did a DIY on eh :lol:

Current plan is to persuade the mechanics that work next to my work to zip over with their scanner later today and see what it says. Apparently they're under the impression if the seatbelt pre-tensioner has been disconnected and it knows this, it will throw a "history fault code" saying that it has been disconnected in the past, and may still display the light on the instrument cluster. I'm not too sure about this, but will report back :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:21 pm 

Quick update:

Mechanic's code reader couldn't read any fault codes with the SRS setup.. He recommended that I just start putting all my interior back in, and that it will be a simple code that needs clearing when he gets a new machine next week thanks to the big tax rebate thing everyone went wild over at the end of the financial year.

Looks like i'll slap it all back together and just pray I don't have to take it apart again :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:03 pm 

So, the mechanics have received their new reader and still are unable to connect to the airbag side of things. They can communicate with the ECU fine, see all the typical diagnostics info etc, just can't connect to the SRS system to be able to read any kind of codes. They're wondering what i've done specifically around the airbag controller, as they are saying it doesn't seem to be compatible with the current ECU, but that wouldn't make sense to me considering the entire car is now running the JDM setup. If anything, I would have expected issues running the AUDM srs system with the JDM ECU, but not now that everything is JDM....

I'm kind of lost for what to do from here - If i swap to the AUDM SRS controller, it will be expecting seat airbags where there are none, right? Can that be re-programmed to only expect the SRS setup that come stock with the JDM forester or is that just part of the physical circuitry the AUDM SRS controller will expect? Any help would be highly appreciated.. my current plan is to go to the snow in her this Friday, and it looks like i'm running out of time to pull my interior out again and play the "find the fault" game :S

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:43 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------

You can put a resistor in place of the airbag you want to remove / no longer have. The resistor simulates the electrical circuit the module is expecting, and tricks it into thinking the airbag is in place and connected.

Ill have to double check the resistance specs of the resistors. I have some at home and cant remember the rating off the top of my head. But they were real cheap from Jaycar etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:49 pm 

But given that the shop cannot communicate with the module, then that could be another issue other than there being a code logged. As i said before. The SRS module must complete the circuit at the instrument cluster to turn tge light off. So if the module isnt getting powered or otherwise faulty the light will come on just the same as if there is a fault logged inside the module.

Another thing that springs to mind is what cluster do you have? Is it a match for the rest of the system. I only ask as i have sen similar issues with the ABS warning light. Somewhere around 2004 subaru changed the way the ABS light activates inside the instrument cluster/ABS system. And if you mis match the cluster, the light works backwards. Ie is off when it should be on and vice versa. The reason is the switching of the light circuit was reveresed.

Now i havent heard of that being a thing with the SRS light/system. Bit it could be something similar. Maybe try unugging an airbag and see if that turns the light OFF.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:15 pm 

Bram wrote:
You can put a resistor in place of the airbag you want to remove / no longer have. The resistor simulates the electrical circuit the module is expecting, and tricks it into thinking the airbag is in place and connected.

Ill have to double check the resistance specs of the resistors. I have some at home and cant remember the rating off the top of my head. But they were real cheap from Jaycar etc.

I had actually heard about this originally, but wanted to avoid it as I thought it would be a whole lot neater to have everything switched over to the JDM spec and not have to do a slightly debateable workaround.. but it's looking like it might be the current best option... i'm so dreading having to take out my interior and carpet again though.. I'd need to get the AUDM airbag loom back in place so that the connectors are there in the first place to shove some resistors into. I also remember breaking one of the plastic tabs on one of the airbag plugs on the that.. so i might have to work out how to replace that with one I have lying around, or potentially cut and re-solder that with a newy :cry:

Bram wrote:
But given that the shop cannot communicate with the module, then that could be another issue other than there being a code logged. As i said before. The SRS module must complete the circuit at the instrument cluster to turn tge light off. So if the module isnt getting powered or otherwise faulty the light will come on just the same as if there is a fault logged inside the module.

Another thing that springs to mind is what cluster do you have? Is it a match for the rest of the system. I only ask as i have sen similar issues with the ABS warning light. Somewhere around 2004 subaru changed the way the ABS light activates inside the instrument cluster/ABS system. And if you mis match the cluster, the light works backwards. Ie is off when it should be on and vice versa. The reason is the switching of the light circuit was reveresed.

Now i havent heard of that being a thing with the SRS light/system. Bit it could be something similar. Maybe try unugging an airbag and see if that turns the light OFF.

That's interesting you say that - I am running a WRX STI cluster I bought off Dixon, which I'm pretty sure is a 2005 iirc. When you say that though, supposedly if it was simply running the light in reverse, when I first turned the ignition on, the light would be off until it did its check that takes like 3-4 seconds, then it would turn on, right? Currently, the light is just permanently on regardless of that. I might rip out one of the plugs to the seatbelt tensioners and see what happens to the light then - if it goes off, that might explain a lot. But at the same time, I've used the JDM cluster that it came with, and that operated "normally" for the airbag light (i.e wasn't reversed to the audm) then i swapped to the WRX STI cluster, so that should mean that the JDM light wiring should be the same too if that makes logical sense to anyone but me?

It seems like it might be something weird like the module not actually receiving power, but i swapped the entire JDM dash in, so even the loom that it's getting powered from is the stock JDM connector etc, and pinouts should all be sweet from that aspect. The thing that seems weird to me, is if there was going to be a communication problem between the SRS controller and the ECU, surely that would have happened when I ran the AUDM SRS controller and the JDM ECU...?

Literally the only wiring currently that isn't JDM now is the rear half of main loom which is unrelated to airbags (that import monster decided to chop in half and not include with the front of the car). literally everything else I can think of bar a few oddities like fuel pump is from the original FSTI now.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:53 am 

Ok, so even though it's quite late, I just wanted to do a quick update for those that have been awesome and giving their thoughts on this all etc.

Long story short - I stripped the car down again tonight with a mate (getting very quick at this :lol:) and for **** and gigs, decided to plug the "AUDM" srs controller into the existing JDM airbag loom to see what would happen. To my complete surprise, the airbag light did it's normal process of, on for 3-4 seconds, then off! The only explanation I have that could make sense, is somehow I mis-labled the SRS controllers ass about, so that I was running the JDM controller from the start when I thought I was running the AUDM one. That would then have of course meant that all that extra work I put in to getting the seat airbags hooked up would have been for nothing in the event of an actual deploy situation :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :oops: :oops:.

I had a close look at the SRS controllers, and the one I've labelled as the AUDM one is definitely the one that has less corrosion and crap on it, which checks out considering the condition of everything that came from japan, but it just doesn't make sense that it would then be working without seat airbags installed.

Anyway, very happy with the simple fix (in the end) and now it's time to prepare for this snow by fitting some roof rails and the roof basket, plus I am very keen to do that light mod with the diodes (already bought the diodes) as I'm getting sick of rummaging around in the dark every time I park my car!

Thanks for all your help again guys, the community here really is awesome :drinks:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:35 pm 

Vehicle: Black My07 XT

The jdm loom will only have the plugs for the jdm airbags layout. There wont be plugs for the front seats so there will be no need for resistors and if the airbag light is off then i think it should all work fine

For Sale.
Polisher, Exhaust, STi Alloy Rear Lateral Links, Sub boxes + more

For Sale.
Leather seats, Early and Late Fog Lights

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:18 pm 

dixon001 wrote:
The jdm loom will only have the plugs for the jdm airbags layout. There wont be plugs for the front seats so there will be no need for resistors and if the airbag light is off then i think it should all work fine

That was the plan! All is working well now as per previous posts :thumbs:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 28 of 29   [ 290 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next