Change font size
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:15 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 27 of 29   [ 290 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: Crenity's XT to STI Conversion Build
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:38 am 

Vehicle: MY05 XT

Before your roof lining gets too comfortable, link your map lights to your main interior light so they come on when you open your door. It looks like you've yet to install the edging piece around the perimeter of the sunroof so the wire shouldn't be too difficult to tuck in there.

It's particularly useful in sunroof-equiped Foresters as the presence of the sunroof pushes the main interior light back over the rear seats leaving you in the dark up the front.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:37 pm 

Vehicle: MY05 XT Luxury (STI SG9 Swap)

dixon001 wrote:
all the info i can find says a7 from the original xt cluster. you could check it by applying power to the xt cluster

Hmmm When it's out next, I'll slap my original FSTI cluster back in and see if removing the a7 pin does anything, and if it does I'll make sure I've re-pinned it correctly on my harness for the WRX STI cluster

Bram wrote:
Check your brake fluid resivoir for a switch. Make sure you have fluid and maybe try unplugging or linking out the switch. I think that may also bring on the vrake light?
that's a thought - but that would have made the handbrake light stay on with the original FSTI cluster too I would have thought? (that one was working perfectly with the handbrake light)

tryangus wrote:
Before your roof lining gets too comfortable, link your map lights to your main interior light so they come on when you open your door. It looks like you've yet to install the edging piece around the perimeter of the sunroof so the wire shouldn't be too difficult to tuck in there.

It's particularly useful in sunroof-equiped Foresters as the presence of the sunroof pushes the main interior light back over the rear seats leaving you in the dark up the front.

That's an awesome idea - hadn't thought of that. I actually need to take my roof lining out again anyway because I haven't put those big square white female clips in the roof itself in that the roof lining coloured clips click into (also need to source those if anyone has a part number for them!). So I'd need to tap the map lights into the wire that sends the door open/closed signal to the light? I haven't actually even paid attention to what kind of wires go to the light (had just assumed there would be positive/negative, but it would make sense if there was a third for that)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:47 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

It is possible to mod the lights. I did do it many years ago. But from memory its not a simple tap in. What you have to do is reverse the switching of some of the switchs. Change from switching on the positive side to switching on the negative side, (or vice versa). I cant recal specifics from so long ago. But i know many people have done it incorrectly and burnt out a lighting module that also control the key light aswell.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:10 pm 

Bram wrote:
It is possible to mod the lights. I did do it many years ago. But from memory its not a simple tap in. What you have to do is reverse the switching of some of the switchs. Change from switching on the positive side to switching on the negative side, (or vice versa). I cant recal specifics from so long ago. But i know many people have done it incorrectly and burnt out a lighting module that also control the key light aswell.

Sounds like I better follow a proper guide on this one...! Thanks for the heads up! So many things to do! I was planning on wiring in a dashcam permanently too - I bought a cheapo $50 one I saw on ozbargain but I probably should get a decent quality one. Might look into that too!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:45 pm 

Vehicle: 2007 XT

Crenity wrote:
Bram wrote:

Sounds like I better follow a proper guide on this one...! Thanks for the heads up! So many things to do! I was planning on wiring in a dashcam permanently too - I bought a cheapo $50 one I saw on ozbargain but I probably should get a decent quality one. Might look into that too!

Chris wrote up a handy DIY for linking the interior lights some time ago.
Works great & well worth doing. :thumbs:

DIY Link

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:19 pm 

99STi wrote:
Chris wrote up a handy DIY for linking the interior lights some time ago.
Works great & well worth doing. :thumbs:

DIY Link

Wicked! Cheers man :thumbs: will defs go off that

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:28 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

I did mine a bit different but the end result should be the same

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:52 am 

Vehicle: MY99 GT + SG9 STI (soon)

tryangus wrote:

Hey Crenity,

I did this too and wasn't particulary difficult. If you can manage to rewire your instrument cluster this will be a walk in the park!

Is a nice cool mod.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:09 pm 

Hi Guys!

It's been ages, and i've been lazy af.

I'm still yet to mod those reading lights, but they're definitely on the to-do list.

First up, i've made the executive call to put the STI seats in. I am so over getting in each day to a pair of flogged out WRX seats when my mate who has an 04 RS has better feeling seats. It's just not worth it, and I want dat STI stitching too :thumbs:

The past few nights i've spent ripping out a **** of trims to get out the carpet/centre console, and have got to a point where it's looking like i'm back at square one of assembly (great :lol:). But, I have a slight dilemma which i'm hoping one of you guru's might be able to pass on some wisdom in regards to.

Keep in mind, the first two pics i've re-used from the original build - No, i did not pull my doors completely off :lol:

Before I started any of this work, I was using the 05XT Airbag controller

And 05XT Seat/seatbelt/side SRS Airbag loom.

My genius plan, was to strip the car back to where I can remove the loom that goes to the seats/seatbelts/side SRS (which i'll refer to as the interior airbag loom)

Replace it with the sti interior airbag loom (so there are no seat connectors that I have to resistor mod/have dangling around) and replace the XT Airbag controller with the STI one, so that the car isn't expecting the seat airbags/side SRS sensors in the first place.

This of course has not gone to plan :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-) Who would have thought :dontknow:
My first stage of worry was when I found an extra 4 unknown wires bundled together with the existing XT airbag loom. I spent about an hour googling as I was sure they were spliced into the airbag loom itself, and didn't want to go any further without knowing what the hell I was doing.

After completely unwinding the tape that was wrapped on them from the factory, to my relief I found that they were not spliced into the airbag loom as it looked like. But, in the interest of increasing my general knowledge of subaru stuff, does anyone know what they are for by any chance?

After that hiccup, I disconnected my battery, removed the old XT airbag controller and XT interior airbag loom and installed the STI ones. The connectors were identical, and so I re-connected the seatbelt tensioners and re-connected the battery to test my theory. Unfortunately, after doing that, I had an airbag light up on my dash (I definitely waited enough time for it to time out after it does it's checks initially, and even turned the car on to run in just in case that would settle it for whatever reason). I gave up that night, and had a chat to Bizman regarding his process when he did his swap the next day, and found out he hadn't had any issues at all with his airbag lights even though he's running the STI airbag controller.

So tonight I had another thought that I hadn't actually replaced the seatbelt tensioners with the STI ones, and was hoping at the possibility that the modules were slightly different which the airbag controller didn't like, yet, after spending a good 30 minutes tracking those down and installing them, I re-connected the battery, and of course, still have the airbag light up.

I would normally slap in the OBD2 reader and fire up torque to read the error code, but because it's still the STI ECU, and uses SSM2 rather than OBD.. fml.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing the airbag light? I don't even know how they really work - Would it be likely the ECU will throw a light since i've just swapped from the XT Airbag controller to the STI controller, or are the codes kept in the airbag controllers and then sent to the ECU to display the warning light? Maybe all I need to do is a simple code clear, and all will be good? Any thoughts and or advice would be greatly appreciated.... my daily driver has turned into my works overheating 2002 kia pregio, and I would reaaaaly rather not having to drive that around too much longer (though the torque/skid ripping abilities are surprisingly fun :oops:)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:55 pm 

I Say: Go Hard Keyboard Warriors !!
Vehicle: Subaru フォレスターSTI 04 SG9

get the SRS ECU scanned and it will show what codes are causing the light.

Also check all SRS Fuses are in and working

2006 Subaru STI Forester - PHA745

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 27 of 29   [ 290 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next