• Koyorad Full Aluminium Radiator
  • Snorkle Delete

Driveline/Suspension/Steering
  • JDM FSTI 6 Speed (w/o DCCD)
  • JDM FSTI R180 Rear Diff
  • JDM FSTI Brembo's Front/Rear
  • Tein Superflex Wagon Coilovers
  • JDM FSTI 18" Alloys Powdercoated Black

• Complete STI Conversion (Literally Everything)

Other Bits and Pieces:
    • Tein Superflex Wagon Coilovers
    • $tu 12" Subwoofer Box
    • Sound System
    • Galaxy Tab 7.7 Dash Cubby Mod
    • STI Front Bumper Lip
    • Hella Sharptones (Need colour change)

Future Plans:
    • Whiteline 22mm Rear Sway Bar + End-links etc
    • Rally Armour Mud Guards (Black w/ Blue Text)
    • Oil Catch Can
    • 3 Port Solonoid
    • Process West CAI
    • PSR Silicone Turbo Inlet
    • Hella Sharptones

Last edited by Crenity on Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Crenity's XT to STI Conversion Build
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:06 am 

Vehicle: MY05 XT Luxury (STI SG9 Swap)

Hi Guys.

Last year I got the urge to own my very own STI Forester here in Australia. Thanks to Australia's fantastic import laws (and my lack of $40k to buy a real one :lol: ); I ended with the daunting decision to purchase my very own (working) STI Forester in Japan only to have it literally cut in half and sent here just so I could make Obama happy.

The time has finally arrived that all my bits and pieces have arrived, and now I have an absolute Sh!tload of work on my hands. I will be peforming as much of the work as I can as thankfully I am lucky enough to be able to have the use of a semi back-yard style workshop which includes a hoist! I'll leave the painting to a professional though :thumbs:

I will be documenting the process as I slowly rip apart what was originally an AUDM 2005 XT Luxury Forester, and replacing each and every bit with parts from my carcass of what was originally an STI Forester (and completely re-paint the chassis) as well as give you guys some background on what made me do this. I really hope this will be useful for anyone that is looking for information on the STI Forester, and more specifically I guess, to anyone that wants to attempt something this stupid in the near future. Hopefully you guys will enjoy me making mistakes and maybe I can pick some of your brains while i'm at it :drinks:

Of course if you guys have any questions i'll try my best to answer them!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:04 am 

Vehicle: MY05 XT Luxury (STI SG9 Swap)

How this all began:

I've always loved my Subaru's. We've always had one in the family (Originally a Subaru L-Series, and currently a 2004 Forester XS).

My first car was an 05 Impreza GX which I did some light mods to
  • Injen CAI (absolutely loved the intake growl this gave)
  • Black Powdercoated ROH Adrenalin Rims
  • Colour Matched front eBay spec STI Style fog light covers
  • New Headunit/Amped the in cabin Speakers
But having 2 N/A litres for 4 wheels meant it was nearly dangerously slow in the power department. So after being stuck with my Impreza (loved corners just not straight lines) it was only natural to end up convinced that my next car was going to be a World Rally Blue 2005 WRX STI. The only concern I had was in ending up as one of those guys that has a wicked car, but can't use it for much more than ripping maineys. I ended up realising I wanted something that seemed to not really exist: The performance (and looks) of a WRX STI but being able to load up the boot to the limit cram 4 other mates in and head up to the snow for a weekend away. That was until I stumbled upon the Forester STI.

I researched for a long time on how to bring one of these bad-boys into Australia only to come to the sad conclusion that it isn't possible, unless I move overseas to Japan for a year.... which isn't my style. BUT after some extra reading I found a few threads from users (one posted on these forums but I can never find the link when I need it) who showed that it was feasible to snip one in half and effectively get the car shipped as "parts". This was the route I obviously ended up taking.

I know cars and money do not go together, but one of my big goals was making this conversion an "affordable" process I.E not end up costing double what I would have paid if I was to buy an equivalent condition/year WRX STI locally. I'm no expert my any means, but I am more than happy to make a lot of mistakes (just hopefully not major ones like the old mis-aligned timing belt trick) and so I am hopeful that I can keep the cost of this from blowing out of proportion, by simply investing hundreds and hundreds of my (clearly worthless) time.

Step 1:
Locate and purchase
  • Donor JDM STI Forester
  • AUDM Forester

I had been looking for an appropriate base to work with since the start of the year (Sunroof was a big thing for me). My original goal was to get a MY06 facelifted SG9 so that I could be sure my JDM STI Forester (when I got them) parts would fit straight on, but finding a cheap XT Luxury that hasn't been written off is a very difficult thing. Luckily through sheer F5 willpower I managed to find an 05 (Pre facelifted) XT Luxury that had been side swiped just enough to ruin all those doors I didn't need, but not actually damage any structural metal (It also had a blown VF32 turbo in it to top it off). The bonus with this was that there were already some juicy mods that would be upgrades even over the STI parts including:
  • a Process West Intercooler
  • A full TurboXS Turbo-Back Exhaust
  • An ECU with Throttle Happy's tune (including launch control... this thing has had a hard life)
  • WRX Suspension (which I won't be using)
  • An aftermarket BOV (which I won't be using)

Here are some photo's to show what kind of condition it was in

Then after I did some dodgy crowbar fender persuasion to stop the door from rubbing so badly and super nasty cut/polish.

Meanwhile the JDM STI side of things was moving along smoothly. I had paid my deposit for Import Monster to start searching for the ideal donor car for me. It seems the pre-facelift SG9's (types A,B and C) are relatively common with the post facelift (D,E and F's) being a little bit harder to source. After a few right car wrong colour type scenarios, a WRB STI Forester with just over 100k km's on the clock popped up. I gave the go ahead for import monster and after a very sleepless night, I woke to find out I was the new owner of a car which I couldn't see or drive... lol. Next was the long eager wait for it to be butchered in half and stripped to be sent in two separate shipments.

Before "Butchering"

A couple of months later the first shipment was in the warehouse and ready to be picked up

And another couple of months later, the rest had arrived. That brings everyone pretty much up to date with the project. I have just started pulling some of the XT panels off and fitting the STI ones to double check fitment as well as inspect the condition of each panel as there are quite a few battle scars from being on the roads for 10 years. I will update during the week when I next have a chance.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:36 am 

Vehicle: MY99 GT bare shell on stands

Awesome!

Get ready for the seagulls... "How much for that STi tmic?" :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:00 am 

Vehicle: MY05 XT - Regal Blue

Good luck mate!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:58 am 

I Say: This one is staying stock...
Vehicle: GC8Track/NFIIFairlane/MY12STi

Nice. :thumbs:

If you dont mind me asking, what sort of ball park figure do you think this will end up costing?

GC8 Track build - http://ozfoz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=43199
NFII Fairlane
PX Ranger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:26 am 

I Say: Every time you yawn a ghost puts his dick in your mouth.
Vehicle: 2005 MY05 XT Lux

How will the late SG front end fit up to the early SG front end? Different headlights, bumper, quarter panels, hood, etc.

I think it's been done in the USA, on subaruforester.org but I don't think it was a simple bolt on.

I like beans. I like sauce. I like sexual intercourse.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:47 am 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

wrc-323 wrote:
How will the late SG front end fit up to the early SG front end? Different headlights, bumper, quarter panels, hood, etc.

I think it's been done in the USA, on subaruforester.org but I don't think it was a simple bolt on.

it should work given that he has a complete cut to rob parts from. but yeah. all the front end will need to go in order to swap it in.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:03 pm 

I Say: Stop BSL. Breed Specific Legislation. Bull Sh!t Law
Vehicle: MY10 XT/STi partial swap

Awesome build thread already :)

My Tonka Truck

My 2-door STi racecar

Breed Specific Legislation (BSL) kills innocent dogs, stop this Bull Sh!t Law. Punish the deed, not the breed!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:56 pm 

I Say: Do you come with the car?
Vehicle: MY08 X Columbia (XSL)

Very excited to see this one progress! Love the ambition, good on ya!

MY BUILD THREAD: http://ozfoz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=50483

PARTS FOR SALE (Wheels, Knobs, Steering Wheels + Other Bits): http://ozfoz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=51264

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 29   [ 290 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29  Next