Change font size
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:09 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 5 of 8   [ 78 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Thorpef1's MY11 Forester S-Edition
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:18 am 

I Say: 3 letters in the alphabet that should never be attributed to me...DIY

yep bigger wheels are a must!....carbon fiber scuff pad for the dump too cos it scrapes quite a lot!

190.6 atwkw | MSR | Invidia | STi | Process West | Cobb | Turbosmart | PSR | Pierburg | Whiteline | Perrin | Cusco | Hella | ROH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:01 am 

Vehicle: MY11 S-Edition

Yesterday i got around to installing Tobyo's old (but in extremely good condition) PW TMIC.
This was a real challenge even though it should have been a fairly straight forward task.

It started with Australia post taking 3 weeks to deliver it from Melbourne to Sydney, we used the Cash on Delivery feature and somehow they lost the tracking so had no idea where it was and i never got a notice to pick it up from the post office, so it was 3 weeks before i got the 'reminder' notice.

Once i finally got it home (which i cant believe how well Toby packed it) i started pulling apart the car. All was going well until when i got to the TMIC bracket. I installed it but something didnt quite look right. There was about a 17mm gap between the end of the bracket and the transmission bell where it was to go in. We assumed this was due to the 5EAT transmission as Toby didnt notice it on his 5MT.

After a bit of foruming and Toby contacting Process West they mentioned that they used to supply a spacer but dont have them anymore.

2 weeks went by as i was up in Port Macquarrie for a weekend and finally got back home. I went to bunnings to get a bunch of M10 spacers to 'fill the gap'

So here i am, super duper excited to install the TMIC now and as i put the bolt back into the bracket/transmission i realise its spinning... i have threaded it.

After this happened i knew i was in big trouble...Again speaking with Toby to combine our heads and think of what to do, i tried putting it back in slowly with ALOT of loctite but i wasnt confident as when you wiggled the bracket you could see the bolt head move quite a bit.
I then decided to see if i could find a longer bolt as because the bracket brought the head back about 20mm, there was still a bit of the thread that wasnt making contact.

By this time i was 2.15'ish (on a Saturday afternoon) so i rushed out to AutoOne to see if i could find a slightly longer bolt (M10, 1.25 pitch 100mm (stock bolt is 80mm length). They didnt have one but the guy recommended an industrial supply place (which closed in 10 mins and i was 30 mins away). A quick phone call to them and an order over the phone meant that i picked up my very important bolt out the front of the closed store.

So here i was driving home, praying that this bolt would would fit in nicely and that the thread on the transmission housing wasnt too stuffed, otherwise im assuming its a fairly expensive job to either a) buy a new block as thats where it was threadded or b) get it machined somehow)

I got home and very carefully put it in by hand, it wouldnt go all the way in so i tried to wiggle it a little bit, again no luck.
I thought, lets give it a go. So in it goes with half a bottle of loctite and the washers to keep it in place.

Hahulelu.... its tight and fastened :D :D :D. I was so happy.

On the top mount goes, check all the bolts and lets start the car,

The car starts... which is a good sign but its idling a little odd, almost about to stall, i give it a little bit of gas and as it comes to idle it stalls, i have a look around the engine bay and the throttle body hose has come off. Easy fix.

Start it again and its sounding much better.

I take it around the block to ensure everything feels/sounds alright and i have the Torque app up via a $5 ODB2 sensor and it comes up with this.

920hp :shock: .... i wish

Anyway, TMIC is finally in, getting it TH tuned again on Wednesday and looking forward to it.

Thankyou so much to Toby for assisting, there would have been 100 messages back and forth over the past few weeks between wondering where the hell the package is to asking for ideas in our little bolt dilemma yesterday.
Top bloke!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:13 am 

Vehicle: MY11 S-Edition - SWP

What a drama :) Glad all worked out in the end.

Have you a virtual dyno result prior to installing the PW TMIC? I ask as it would be good to know what difference this makes to your car.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:19 am 

jonp wrote:
What a drama :) Glad all worked out in the end.

Have you a virtual dyno result prior to installing the PW TMIC? I ask as it would be good to know what difference this makes to your car.

Unfortunately not.
I was only playing around with the cheap ODB2 port.
And as you can see in the image above, my car is not 900hp so there must be something that isnt configured correctly.

Im a little upset i missed out on the Rumble Shack dyno day last week, 1 i was away and 2 the tmic wasnt on yet.
But i would love to get a dyno run one day

Post subject: Re: Thorpef1's MY11 Forester S-Edition... TMIC installed page 5
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:11 pm 

Vehicle: MY09 XTP & MY16 BT50

Damn! What a story to tell the grandkids! Good work getting it sorted :thumbs:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Previous: '09 ZRE152 ZR (click)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:20 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

Good work.

Cheers for putting up the problem-attempt1-attempt2-solution details too. :thumbs:

Quote:
...They didnt have one but the guy recommended an industrial supply place (which closed in 10 mins and i was 30 mins away)...

Sounds like a job for Winston Wolf :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEwa1IpeOnk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:47 pm 

I went in to get a tune today after getting the TMIC on.

Matt identified a boost leak straight away so we pulled over and popped the hood.
Pretty quickly we noticed that the bottom valve on the 3 port was missing.
Not too sure how long it has been like this but I’m only running off wastegate pressure.

Pretty disappointed that I couldn’t get the tune complete but VERY happy that I have another 10lb of boost coming once I replace the 3 port :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:06 pm 

I Say: Wubba lubba dub dub
Vehicle: MY10 XTP Satin White Pearl 5M

thorpef1 wrote:
I went in to get a tune today after getting the TMIC on.

Matt identified a boost leak straight away so we pulled over and popped the hood.
Pretty quickly we noticed that the bottom valve on the 3 port was missing.
Not too sure how long it has been like this but I’m only running off wastegate pressure.

Pretty disappointed that I couldn’t get the tune complete but VERY happy that I have another 10lb of boost coming once I replace the 3 port :)
Spewing bro,

Get a new 3 port and all smiles to be had

MY10 XTP Satin White Pearl 5MT - Tein Street Advance Coilovers - SuperPro RCA & ALK - 19' Forester TS ENKEI Rims - 2011 STi Cat Back Quad Tip Exhaust with KartBoy 12 mm exhaust hangers - K&N Panel Filter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:27 pm 

So while I’m waiting for my replacement 3 port I’ll get stuck into the stereo.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:25 pm 

Vehicle: MY11 S-Edition - SWP

thorpef1 wrote:
So while I’m waiting for my replacement 3 port I’ll get stuck into the stereo.

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/eSGr8w4lBWtd2vQUy9LOWMM0UV5iMhPJpKLNhICaKM_ijwZlw1lyM9x2fs1TSq0NaSOb_bAjF-bCHkb6ztV4-qT4okgtyuJK6-nIMca37_0xWJdxDHrbUSMjCCo0sJDaJN5m99LPAX4=w750-h564-no[/img]

“Sounds” like a good idea :)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 5 of 8   [ 78 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next