Change font size
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:45 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 56 of 61   [ 603 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 61  Next
 Post subject: Re: dwee's '09 XTP SWP - JDM GVB STI Quick Rack
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:53 pm 

Vehicle: MY12 XT Premium Auto White

Hi Pete,
I am relocating the original Subaru Oil Pressure Sensor to the rear gallery plug and extending the wire to suit.

The original front Subaru Oil Sensor gallery plug is now free to use for the new gauge Oil Pressure Sensor.

The other gallery plug I refer to is facing to the front, just below the original Subaru Oil Sensor gallery plug.

I will use it for the new gauge Oil Temperature Sensor. It requires a void drilled out of the the power steering bracket in line with the gallery plug facing to the front.

Refer to my photos.

Cheers Al

Attachments:
20180310_115603.jpg
20180310_115603.jpg [ 469.92 KiB | Viewed 100 times ]
20180310_173925.jpg
20180310_173925.jpg [ 460.11 KiB | Viewed 98 times ]
20180310_123711.jpg
20180310_123711.jpg [ 105.78 KiB | Viewed 102 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:20 am 

Vehicle: MY09 XTP & MY16 BT50

Nice Al. I'm just going to put the oil temp sensor at the rear galley, easier for me with the engine in haha ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Previous: '09 ZRE152 ZR (click)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:27 am 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

Brilliant idea using the front gallery plug behind the power steering bracket. I have known about that one, but didnt realise it was accessible by boring out a hole in the bracket without totoally ruining the bracket. Nice one.

Pretty sure there are more of them on the engine, i seam to remember there being one in the rear if the block hidden by the bell housing of the transmission???

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:30 pm 

Vehicle: MY12 XT Premium Auto White

Thanks Bram,

My engine builder Kris at Rising Sun Subaru just told me how to do the front one.

Kris warned me against using the front and rear gallery plugs that feed the heads! They are specific spring weighted oil galleries and not to be tampered with.

I also just got my Racetech gauges this morning and will check out the sensors for size and fitment.

Cheers Al

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:19 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

Yes. The heads have special pressure valves inside them. They are in the gallery plugs with 14mm hex head bolts.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:50 pm 

Bram wrote:
Yes. The heads have special pressure valves inside them. They are in the gallery plugs with 14mm hex head bolts.

Ah, good to know!

dwee. wrote:
Nice Al. I'm just going to put the oil temp sensor at the rear galley, easier for me with the engine in haha ;)

Jinxed myself... rear galley plug is a pain the the ar$e right now! The vertical line that connects to the tee piece that Yowie speaks of is so stubborn (on my car at least). I've undone the hose clamp but it does not want to come out! That means it was quite tight getting to the plug.

With the plug out, I couldn't use a 17mm socket to put the OEM galley adapter in. There was a metal something underneath the intake manifold stopping me getting the socket on.. so it was the tedious effort of using an open spanner on the angle and slowly turning (crows foot won't fit). I haven't done it up all the way yet, had enough for tonight!

It will be fun putting on the temp sensor too, but I've got a crows foot 14mm that might work.

Not sure why it's so hard. Looking at the Lib GT and other WRX threads, they have so much more room!

Any thoughts?! :lol:

ImageRear Galley Oil Temp Sensor by dwee., on Flickr

Post subject: Re: dwee's '09 XTP SWP - Winton
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:16 pm 

Hi guys,

A bit of an update!

As stated in the post above, I had trouble with the rear galley and installing the oil temperature sensor. Using the open end of the spanner and without removing that hose, I slowly installed both the OEM galley plug adapter and the temp sensor as tight as a could with some thread sealant.

The U-bracket came in so I mounted the oil pressure sender to the metal above the pitch stop mount using a M6 bolt.

ImageFront Galley Oil Pressure &amp; Temp by dwee., on Flickr

The next item/sensor on the list for the gauges was the MAP sensor. I saw there were also M6 threaded holes on the left side of the engine bay so decided to mount the sensor here with the plate the sensor came with. I just installed a tee on the vacuum like of the BOV and connected it to the sensor.

ImageMAP sensor by dwee., on Flickr

With all those sensors in, what was left was the wiring through the firewall and connecting it all up. This was also challenging (especially the firewall); special thanks to Toby for coming over to help me go through the firewall! :thumbs:

ImageGauges Wiring by dwee., on Flickr

With all the wires through the firewall, I hooked up all the wiring inside and installed the gauge pod. I used 3No add a circuit fuse taps (1No each for power to each gauge and 1No for the white/illumination cable to the illumination fuse). I put all the ground wires together, soldered them and ran some 3mm cable to a suitable ground location.

ImageGauges by dwee., on Flickr

I read the instructions and I forgot to calibrate the O2 sensor. I followed the calibration method, which made the AFR value look better at 14.7 :lol:

ImageGauges by dwee., on Flickr

So after 3 years, the gauges are finally in! :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:21 pm 

On Sunday, I went back to Winton for the first time since the VF52 was installed. It was a wet and rainy day! It was quite hairy and I felt so nervous, not knowing what to expect (I haven't tracked in the wet before!)

The rain stopped after lunch and at around 3pm, the track was drying up and dry lines started to appear. I only managed one good lap chasing down two new minis. In short, I overtook one as he stuffed up a corner (that one lap I did a PB of 1:44.796). The next lap, I was doing great in the first half (1 sec faster comparing the video of the previous lap) but then I went too wide at the last corner of the M section, mounted the ripple strip, bottomed out which threw me towards the grass. Unsure if I damaged anything, I made the call to go back into the pits and check it out, hoping there was still time to go back out. Unfortunately not, so that was the day for me otherwise it would be too late by the time I packed up if I did anymore sessions.

I was content; I did a PB when I was just warming up/readjusting from a single lap and from a wet day too, and no damage to the car. I was happy with the car, it felt good and the quick rack was great! It definitely helped me with lines, smoother and quicker turn ins/outs. Definitely still potential quicker times in this.

ImageNugget Nationals Winton by dwee., on Flickr

Here are photos from my mates Peter & Alister. It's looking like a real race car! :lol:

I won't be tracking for a while, so it will be this PB for a while. Definitely believe there's a 1:42 in it, and definitely better driving from the driver! :lol:

Thanks for looking, videos to come shortly (and see my stuff up haha).

Pete.

Last edited by dwee. on Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:06 pm 

Vehicle: S-Edition

Nice work!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:41 pm 

I Say: There's no 'i' in Team, but there is in Winner!
Vehicle: MY10 XT

Good to hear no damage :D
Were you able to take a glance at your new gauges out there.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 56 of 61   [ 603 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 61  Next