Change font size
It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:42 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 45 of 48   [ 480 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next
 Post subject: Re: dwee's '09 XTP SWP
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:42 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

Awesome work.

Also, I'm a big fan of these sorts of detailed picture-heavy updates that show & tell what a person did, with what bits, why, challenges faced, etc.

:thumbs:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:48 pm 

Vehicle: 2009 Forester XT

Looks great! I need to do the same soon. (:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:55 pm 

I Say: There's no 'i' in Team, but there is in Winner!
Vehicle: MY10 XT

Welcome to Club VF52 :lol:
Like what Yowie said, great to see such detailed photo's and a run through of the experience. I'm curious to know what Subaru Workshops use to loosen the spring clamp on the oil return hose.. I think it reduced my life span by a year trying to get it back on.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:20 pm 

Vehicle: MY09 XTP SWP

jonp wrote:
Well done Pete! A great job that will be worth the effort :) When is the tune planned?

egitr wrote:
Great work
Its going to be a beast once completed and tuned :)

Thanks guys, the tune is booked for this weekend! It's going to be an interesting drive to Thomastown without boosting.. :lol:

clayq wrote:
Nice one mate, finally got it on there! Interested to hear your review versus td04 once you get it tuned :thumbs:

Thanks Clay! I have driven Toby's SH with the VF52 for about 5mins; from memory, it was heaps more kick, more top end and to be honest, there wasn't that much of a difference when boost came on.

H-are wrote:
Good work mate.

Will be much better for PI, lots more top end.

Thanks Kyle. Unfortunately, looks like I won't be doing PI this year, I'm going to have a year break from racing. It would have been nice to test it out with the VF52, but I guess I would just hit speed cut earlier down the main straight haha. Next time! :thumbs:

vumnoo wrote:
Looks great! I need to do the same soon. (:

Cheers! I've got a VF52 for sale if you're interested.. :lol:

Yowie wrote:
Awesome work.

Also, I'm a big fan of these sorts of detailed picture-heavy updates that show & tell what a person did, with what bits, why, challenges faced, etc.

:thumbs:

Tobyo wrote:
Welcome to Club VF52 :lol:
Like what Yowie said, great to see such detailed photo's and a run through of the experience. I'm curious to know what Subaru Workshops use to loosen the spring clamp on the oil return hose.. I think it reduced my life span by a year trying to get it back on.

Thanks guys! :drinks: yup, it's not all colourful rainbows and blue skies! :lol: I don't know what they do either but I used a small piece of wire and tied the spring clip open. Then using a coat hanger, I hooked it on this small piece of wire. Once the turbo was installed, the oil return line was in its hose and I was happy, I pulled the coat hanger, which pulled the piece of wire out and the spring clip closed.

Previous: '09 ZRE152 ZR (click)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:45 pm 

The dump pipe and turbo beanie are on! I had heaps of fun getting one of the nuts on due to the wrapping making the dump a bigger diameter and the threads of the aftermarket hot side housing longer (unconfirmed).

I started her up and everything seems alright. I mentioned to Toby that the exhaust at startup was a fair bit louder with the TD04..

I'll update properly and with pictures when I'm on the laptop next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:33 pm 

I Say: 3 letters in the alphabet that should never be attributed to me...DIY

could you put the turbo beanie on and wrap the dump without taking everything off?

190.6 atwkw | MSR | Invidia | STi | Process West | Cobb | Turbosmart | PSR | Pierburg | Whiteline | Perrin | Cusco | Hella | ROH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:52 pm 

Slobbythegreat wrote:
could you put the turbo beanie on and wrap the dump without taking everything off?

You probably can... but you'd definitely should take the TMIC off at least to make things easier. It will be tight, back sore and a bit of swearing but it's possible I reckon.

If you look at the DEI wrap installation video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT6JnrncUSI); you'd be doing the same except on the car. That is, estimating, cut, 'priming' on the car.

I found the turbo beanie install a bit awkward - it was straight forward but if you see that photos that I will post below, there is no real cut outs for the top oil feed as I think these beanies are a 'one-size fits all' approach..

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:22 pm 

Last night after work, I re-installed the dump pipe and I installed the turbo beanie.

I let the photos do the talking first and then give my comments afterwards.

ImageVF52 Install by dwee., on Flickr

As stated in the above post, I found installing turbo beanie a bit awkward. As you can see, the top oil feed line is almost right in the middle of the turbo beanie and I found it easier to install the beanie with out the dump pipe attached. Then you have to pull back the beanie to install the bolts.

VF52 Install by dwee., on Flickr

I bleed the cooling system this morning and took it for a drive around the block to see if everything was normal. There was a bit of smoke coming from the turbo area. Initially, I thought it was the usual excess WD40 burning but the burning continued after an extended amount of time. Reading through a few threads, some suggested it was the oil return hose leaking. Concerned, I jacked up the car and had a look at the oil return hose and its clamp. I played around with it using a screw driver and made sure the clamp was on properly and tight. I ran the engine until 94/95 degrees with no smoke signs. (I later came to the conclusion it was the DEI exhaust wrap smoking in its break-in period)

I went for the tune today but I forgot to tell the tuner I had installed a 1bar/14psi actuator, so the tune isn't complete and I will have to go again once he has finished adjusting the tune to accommodate the new actuator. In other words, no real boosting yet.. :lol: Nearly there!!! Can't wait!

Cheers,

Pete.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:24 am 

Vehicle: MY10 XT -

Awesome work mate,certainly has come along way since 2014. You are going to love that new turbo :thumbs:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:00 am 

MTBTRAIL wrote:
Awesome work mate,certainly has come along way since 2014. You are going to love that new turbo :thumbs:

Thanks mate, it has definitely come a long way looking/thinking back! I can't wait! :thumbs:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 45 of 48   [ 480 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next