No issues so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Previous: '09 ZRE152 ZR (click)

Post subject: dwee's '09 XTP SWP - JDM GVB STI Quick Rack
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:29 pm 

Vehicle: MY09 XTP & MY16 BT50

clayq wrote:
Nice work on sorting out the seat :thumbs:

Thanks Clay, now to sort out the harder items that I've been procrastinating for far too long..

Post subject: Re: dwee's '09 XTP SWP - JDM GVB STI Quick Rack
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:18 pm 

Hi all,

It has been a long time between updates, so here is a quick update! :lol:

I bought Clay's old headlights that he painted the surrounds black; I installed it last Saturday week (pictures below).

Before:
ImageBlack Headlight Surrounds by dwee., on Flickr

After:
ImageBlack Headlight Surround by dwee., on Flickr
ImageBlack Headlight Surround by dwee., on Flickr

That same night, I started going/working through the gauges and the sensors (I had to remove 3 years' worth of cobwebs first though :lol: ). I removed the tacho/dash cover, changed the insert over to the dual pod gauge insert, and test fitted into position.

The kit I have comes with a boost solenoid but I have decided not to run it as I've already got a 3 port BCS and not wanting to over-complicate the setup.

ImageFront Galley Oil Pressure Sender by dwee., on Flickr

The next day (Sunday), I removed the O2 sensor blank plug on the dump pipe and installed the O2 sensor (check out the carbon build up!). I also removed the alternator and played around with the front galley plug. I planned to use a tee and keep the OEM pressure sensor (as useless as it is); however, the gauge oil pressure sender was too big (and close to the belts) - I just need a few more millimetres to get the alternator belt back on... new assembly have to be taken out :shock: I bought some Aeroflow oil cooler line kits to install another day.

ImageO2 Sensor for AFR by dwee., on Flickr

ImageFront Galley Oil Pressure Sender by Peter Tran, on Flickr

I also looked at the back galley plug and boy, it looks tight to get to! This is and between the back-central part of the intake manifold and the turbo. There is where I was planning to install my oil temperature sensor. I bought an oil line for this as well, just in case.

ImageRear Galley Oil Temp Sensor by Peter Tran, on Flickr
ImageRear Galley Oil Temp Sensor by dwee., on Flickr

My spot in the upcoming Winton event late March with the EXE Crew guys have been confirmed!

And lastly for now, the car is booked into Cromwood tomorrow for the installation of the JDM STI quick rack, with a wheel alignment booked for Saturday and directional tires changed from left to right & vice versa! (Camber wear.. :lol: )

Thanks for looking,

Cheers, Pete.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:35 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

A-grade update with details, pictures etc :thumbs: Love it.

A couple of technical questions:-

1. What brand/model dash cluster gauge pod is that? Where do you run the wires from the back of the gauges in that?

2. what size BSP (?) thread is the galley plug and adapters etc? Did that particular setup end up being acceptable behind the accessory belt? I see that you can buy hose-based extenders for that pressure connection to get the whole assembly out of the way.

Also, I see you have an 09 model with the older-style plastic T-piece off the crank case to the PCV valve (etc). Obviously my assumptions about when the rubber F-piece replaced the plastic T-piece need a revisit...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:44 am 

I Say: There's no 'i' in Team, but there is in Winner!
Vehicle: MY10 XT

Great write up Pete :ok: For those thinking about doing the oil sender install, Innovate have now changed the oil sender to a thumbnail sized unit.

Post subject: dwee's '09 XTP SWP - JDM GVB STI Quick Rack
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:56 pm 

Yowie wrote:
A-grade update with details, pictures etc :thumbs: Love it.

A couple of technical questions:-

1. What brand/model dash cluster gauge pod is that? Where do you run the wires from the back of the gauges in that?

2. what size BSP (?) thread is the galley plug and adapters etc? Did that particular setup end up being acceptable behind the accessory belt? I see that you can buy hose-based extenders for that pressure connection to get the whole assembly out of the way.

Also, I see you have an 09 model with the older-style plastic T-piece off the crank case to the PCV valve (etc). Obviously my assumptions about when the rubber F-piece replaced the plastic T-piece need a revisit...

Thanks Yowie! :thumbs:

1. It's Ortiz (I bought it from Robbks). Wiring will be run from the back and under the driver's side trim; there's a grommet above the pedals. I haven't done the wiring yet.

2. I bought the OEM galley adapter from Subaru (which has 1/8" BSP female) but once I removed the OEM pressure sensor, I found that it was 1/8" BSP/BSPT female anyway. The bits I got were 1/8" BSPT not 1/8" NPT. That particular setup did not work due to the size of the sender (I was hoping it would work and innovate have a different sized sender now as per Toby's post above) so I bought hose kits from Speedpro. However, the guy there reckons 1/8" NPT is the same as 1/8" PT/BSP (innovate sensors) and sold me a 1/8" NPT hose kits. I didn't have the information on me at the time so I'll have to go back and tell him it's not the same; even their catalogue has 1/8 BSPT to -4AN fittings as well as NPT to -4AN fittings so it can't be the same! I can explain more if you want me to haha

3. Saw and spoke to Toby before. Mine is an early '09 (MY09) whereas yours and his is a later '09 (MY10). That was our conclusion.

4. (Bonus!) Cromwood installed the quick rack today. Initial driving observations:
- heavier steering
- notice bump steer more (probably the same amount of bump steer but more evident now with the heavier steering and quicker ratio)
- quicker but needs a proper test/spirited drive
- VDC has not activated yet. Even during tight corners and roundabouts, with the traction control turned on and off. Might need a proper test/spirited drive. I suspect it might be a combo of a tight corner and enough open throttle to activate the VDC
- Toby tested the quick rack and he liked it.. :lol:

Thanks for looking!

Cheers, Pete

Last edited by dwee. on Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:18 am 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

1/8 NPT and BSP are technically different. But the differences are so small they practically interchange. 1/8 NPT has 27 threads per inch. 1/8 BSP has 28 threads per inch.

This means barely anything when you consider the length of the threads you typically deal with are way less than 1 inch long. Usually you only have maybe 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch of thread engagement with 1/8 inch fittings. So the 1 TPI difference will mean almost nothing over such small thread engagement length.

There is also a slight angle difference with the thread face. I cant recal exact specifics but i think its like 60° vs 55° or sonething trivial like that. Again. So close that it means very little in the real world.

But the thing with tapered pipe thread forms, is unlike real hydraulic connections that rely on a special mating surface like a flare to do the sealing. Pipe threads only seal on the thread contact area. By physical deformation as the threads engage and force the taper together. So even in NPT to NPT or BSP to BSP, there is thread deformation. Just like there will be when you mate NPT to BSP.

Get the NPT parts, lather in teflon paste and insert...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:01 am 

Good point Bram! Understood RE they are technically different and would not make a big difference with the short contact length but I was more annoyed with that the guy from the store - he didn't believe I had PT threads (even though I said the Innovate installation manual actually states PT) and just dismissed/brushed me off saying "nup, it will be NPT thread".

I already had done the research prior going to buy the hoses and thought they could just make it to what length I wanted (based on what was available on their website). You are correct, BSPT has 55deg versus NPT has 60deg angle across the flanks of threads. This article states that they will fit into each other but will not seal. I know you can just use teflon but being the line is for oil & that we race our cars, I just wanted to get the right fittings since I had the option.

Being little difference, I most likely just use the hoses I got from them anyway. I got two of these kits, not sure if they were cheap or not pricing wise.

Next time, I will know more and might actually make the hoses myself if I need a certain length and probably be cheaper too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:46 am 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

dwee. wrote:
3. Saw and spoke to Toby before. Mine is an early '09 (MY09) whereas yours and his is a later '09 (MY10). That was our conclusion.

4. (Bonus!) Cromwood installed the quick rack today. Initial driving observations:
- heavier steering
- notice bump steer more (probably the same amount of bump steer but more evident now with the heavier steering and quicker ratio)
- quicker but needs a proper test/spirited drive
- VDC has not activated yet. Even during tight corners and roundabouts, with the traction control turned on and off. Might need a proper test/spirited drive. I suspect it might be a combo of a tight corner and enough open throttle to activate the VDC
- Toby tested the quick rack and he liked it.. :lol:

3. Yeah, sounds about right. Mine is actually built in 2008 and has the plastic tee-piece. My wife's is 2009 with the rubber F-piece. That's the only reason i've become so familiar with the differences.

4. Very interesting. Mine already has heavier steering and bump-steer from the extra caster (Superpro alloy lower control arms) so if/when i change steering racks it's likely to be a "two hands on the wheel when cornering" deal with no exceptions.

In my observation on a dirt racetrack - traction control (switchable) has no effect on VDC (non-switchable unless you remove the ABS fuse). My guess - the Bosch VDC unit is probably still comparing detected steering angle (which is now incorrect by whatever percentage with the new rack) with it's inertia-based sense of the car's direction and waiting to make the decision to intervene when car momentum differs from steering angle by more than x factor. Your chosen pre-2015 rack plus the "milder" driving environment of dry roundabouts is probably not triggering VDC intervention.

The big question for me is:- "what is the difference between the intervention point for a stock rack vs the mild WRX rack, and is it acceptable and safe on the road in terms of not triggering unnecessarily and also being effective when it does trigger?"

Once VCD intervention has started, i wonder if it factors in steering angle or just focuses on getting the car straight again (perhaps programmed to assume the driver's steering wheel control is not to be relied on anymore).

From my dirt-track VCD experience, you end up pointing forwards on the road at a reduced speed (for a mild VDC intervention) or stopped (for VDC intervention after a major spin has started). Perhaps being rear-ended is the biggest/only risk if VDC came in too early or too hard?

Bram wrote:
... So even in NPT to NPT or BSP to BSP, there is thread deformation. Just like there will be when you mate NPT to BSP.

Get the NPT parts, lather in teflon paste and insert...

Bram - so you're happy to use a 1/8NTP male fitting into 1/8BSP female (with thread tape) for oil and other pressure components on your car/s?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:13 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

Quote:
Bram - so you're happy to use a 1/8NTP male fitting into 1/8BSP female (with thread tape) for oil and other pressure components on your car/s?

Yes. I have done so in the past numerous times. Although if possible i try to avoid it, or i will actually re-tap the hole to the correct thread. But sometimes things are done in a pinch, and this is just one of those things. I have a very good selection of taps for this exact purpose. Aluminium and brass are very soft metals and easy to hand tap.

Although, depending on the situation, i dont use thread tape. I usually ise a teflon paste. The only time thread tape is preffered is situations where if you want to take it apart later, and want to easily be able to peel the teflon off later so it doesnt go down the hole and potentially block up what evers at the end of the fitting etc.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 53 of 61   [ 603 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 61  Next