Change font size
It is currently Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:16 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 442 of 443   [ 4430 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 439, 440, 441, 442, 443  Next
 Post subject: Re: Yeti Sled. Engine build.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:46 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

That looks nice. Yes, when doing the front windscreen with polycarbon, you have 2 options. Use thick sheeting, and make a window as close to normal as possible. Or use thin sheeting, then put extra bracing on it to hold up so it doesnt buckle.

Hole punch will easily punch a 4" hole in 3mm steel. Car sheet metal is like butter for it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:27 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------

ImageDash bar tied into base of A pillar. by bram biesiekierski, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:23 pm 

Been a productive day. Got the remainder of the dash bar tie ins to the base of the A-pillar welded out. It might not look like much. But these out of posistion welds are extremely time consuming and difficult.

This mounting point will also tie in the upper door bar when I make it, creating a strong node.

ImageForward side of A-pillar tie ins. by bram biesiekierski, on Flickr

Then I got the 2 bars that make the V inside the rear stays cut and welded in. These tie into the center of the main loop, where the base of the roof bars V ties in. Also creating a strong node with many bars intersecting.

ImageRear stays V welded in. by bram biesiekierski, on Flickr

ImageV bars in rear stay. by bram biesiekierski, on Flickr

Then I got to putting the diagonals into the main loop. I have already cut and notched these way before i did any of the other parts if the cage. So I just had to clean these up, and add in the extra notch for the rear stay and forward lateral loop.

The lower bar of the 2nd diagonal is now a little bit short. So i will re-make it, rather than have a less than ideal fitment. The posistion of the X is important, as I want the harness bars to tie into the middle of the X intersection. And they need to be at a specific hieght for the harness to have the correct rearward angle from the seats.

Image1st diagonal in main hoop. by bram biesiekierski, on Flickr

Image1st diagonal in mail loop by bram biesiekierski, on Flickr

Image2nd diagonal in main hoop by bram biesiekierski, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:33 pm 

Image2019-01-06_01-13-34 by bram biesiekierski, on Flickr

Image2019-01-06_01-13-24 by bram biesiekierski, on Flickr

Image2019-01-06_01-31-40 by bram biesiekierski, on Flickr

Image2019-01-06_01-13-13 by bram biesiekierski, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:08 pm 

Got the seat in and put the harness bar in. I have to make sure 100% that its all in the correct posistion before welding it in hard. Given that it is so close to the rear of the seat, the verticle hieght of the bar has a very large impact on the angle of the harness strapping. CAMS call for anywhere between 0° horizontal, and 45° down. With the ideal recommended hieght being between 0° and 10°.

With my seat in place, I get a range between 0° and 42° depending on where abouts the straps come through the opening. With me sitting in the seat, the angle will be approx 15°, as my shoulders bring the strapping up to about that hieght. Which I am pretty happy with.

The other thing to note, this is measured from the top edge of the bar. When the harness is wrapped around the bar, the loop of the harness will meet and draw a line from the middle of the bar, not the top of the bar. So the angle/direction of the harness straps should be drawn from the center of the harness bar. Im not 100% sure if CAMS do it this way, or do it from the top of the bar, like in my photos show. But depending on the interpretation, this could change things.

The only other thing that may affect it is if I where a HANS, which will sit ontop of my shoulders, and therefore increase the angle a slight amount. But at the same time, the straps will compress me into the seat, which will reduce the angle.

I need to be 100% sure before I weld them in.

ImageSeat mock up by bram biesiekierski, on Flickr

Image2019-01-06_05-44-00 by bram biesiekierski, on Flickr

ImageHarness bar mock up. by bram biesiekierski, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:43 am 

I Say: This one is staying stock...
Vehicle: GC8Track/NFIIFairlane/MY12STi

I love all of what I just read.

Great stuff mate :thumbs:

GC8 Track build - http://ozfoz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=43199
NFII Fairlane
PX Ranger

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:01 am 

Vehicle: MY06 XT - Black

I'm sure I read somewhere that HANS will become mandatory at all levels in CAMS at some point in the next year or two.

FC RX7 Track Build

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:02 am 

S2-13BT wrote:
I'm sure I read somewhere that HANS will become mandatory at all levels in CAMS at some point in the next year or two.

I plan to get a HANS when I finally get the car going. So that will need to be accounted for.

I was speaking with a guy over here about it, and he said you want the bar as high as you possibly can. He thinks that my bar is too low. And has suggested making it higher.

Because what happens when you crash is that the forwards inertia of your body pulls the harness tight. If it has possibility to lower down on your shoulders, because it is secured lower than your shoulders, and the opening in the seat has space for it to nove lower, then it will do so, and put massive downward force on your shoulders as you try to move forwards against it. Your chest and torso will be wanting to move forwards at the same time. This is effectively trying to bend your back backwards. This can (and has) caused spinal injuries on people before, and he mentioned a couple of incidents where they believe it was because of this.

So now im in 2 minds about the bar. I planned the entire thing out to be at that hieght so the harness bar intersects the X, and gives good hieght for the harness straps. And if you go by the letter of the book, then the hieght is within the range set out by CAMS.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:54 pm 

I Say: Do or do not, there is no try.
Vehicle: MY17 BRZ, MY11 BT-50

You need some angle on the strap behind the seat, but having the harness bar so close to the rear of the seat makes it difficult to not have extreme angles. The harness bar could always be further back (how is the angle to that strut bracing?), with the bar you're putting in being extra bracing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:38 pm 

be_oh_be wrote:
You need some angle on the strap behind the seat, but having the harness bar so close to the rear of the seat makes it difficult to not have extreme angles. The harness bar could always be further back (how is the angle to that strut bracing?), with the bar you're putting in being extra bracing.

CAMS specifically say : "shoulder strap to be as short as possible." Hence why I want to use the lateral bar between the X as the harness bar. The rear lateral bar between the towers is not ideal as it is quite a long ways back. Even further than my previous harness bar.

CAMS also specifically mention that between 0° and 10° downwards from the horizontal is recommended. But will accept upto 45° down wards from the horizontal.

My bar meets the CAMS requirements. Although, I currently have a downwards angle of approx 15° to the horizontal from my shoulders, and thats to the top of the bar, not the center of the bar. Which is where the strap will be pulling from. If you take it to the center axis of the bar, the angle increases further from horizontal. If i where a HANS atop my shoulders, the angle will also increase.

The thing I am concerned with is I have specifically been warned that the downward angle can be unsafe, where there is posiblilty for it to pull you down. So not the angle directly, but the ability for it to push your shoulders down and then squash your back in a forwards collision. And this has been linked to spinal injuries in car crashs. This is probably why CAMS recommended less that 10° as a preffered angle.

The other thing, is the further back the straps are from you, the greater the possiblity for a rear side impact to cause deformation that will pull the harness straping into you. Like a cheese cutter. This is most likely why shorter is better for the straps aswell.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 442 of 443   [ 4430 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 439, 440, 441, 442, 443  Next