Change font size
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:55 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 440 of 451   [ 4502 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 437, 438, 439, 440, 441, 442, 443 ... 451  Next
 Post subject: Re: Yeti Sled. Engine build.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:16 pm 

I Say: There's no 'i' in Team, but there is in Winner!
Vehicle: MY10 XT

Thats some good ol swiss cheese there. Curious to see the before and after weigh in.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:42 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

Tobyo wrote:
Thats some good ol swiss cheese there. Curious to see the before and after weigh in.

A cage isnt quite as heavy as you would think. The 1.75" tubing wieghs 2.6kg / m. The 1.5" tubing wieghs 2.2kg / m. Main loop is about 3m, front loops are about 2m each, front upper window bar is 1m. Rear diagonal and rear tower bar is about 1m each. Plus 0.5-1kg per mount etc. Its not really that much weight. You only twchnically have to make the main loop out of the 1.75", all the rest can be 1.5". But I am making the main loop and front lateral loops of 1.75".

A basic 6 point cage only adds about 30-40kg. A higher spec cage with extras like double diagonals, double roof bars, double door bars etc can wiegh as much as 80kg. 80kg isnt a massive amount of wieght.

Im planning on building a pretty comprehensive cage. Doing double diagonals in the main hoop, V roof bars, and V inside the rear diagonal stays. Double doorsl bars, and a carlos bar. Plus a couple of braces. So it might add approx 60kg. Which is like half of my own wieght.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:02 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------

The swiss chees your talking about is probably the rear doors? I pulled 5.4KG out of each one. Then I got the hydraulic hole punch out and liberated another 3-400gms just by punching it out. Haha. So nearly 6kg per door, before even doing polycarbonate windows.

ImageGutting the rear doors. by bram biesiekierski, on Flickr

ImageHydraulic punch by bram biesiekierski, on Flickr

ImageHoly doors. by bram biesiekierski, on Flickr

The rear glass wieghs about 4kgs or so. And it will be replaced with polycarbonate. Freeing up another 2kg per door, and 2kg per rear side wagon window, and maybe 3-4kg on the rear wagon window and as much again for the front window. Maybe saving 15-20 kg by going poly carbonate all round???

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:09 pm 

Some more progress.

This is some aditional anchor plates for where the dash bar will intersect the forward lateral legs. I will tie the cage in here for extra rigidity.
ImageAnchor plate for dash bar. by bram biesiekierski, on Flickr

This is the dash bar. I have intentionally made it a bit longer so that as i tappy-tap-tap it into place, it pushs the front lateral legs out a bit. I wasnt super happy with how close i got the lateral loops to the A pillars when i oiginally bent them. Using the dash bar as a wedge, i can splay the legs out and get the bars in another 10-15mm closer to the pillars each side. Which makes a big differsnce to visibility out the front window, and also makes the cage look a bit better built.

Its only tempory for now, as i still need to drop the cage one more time to weld the roof bars. But I wanted the dash bar to push the legs out BEFORE i welded in the front braces at the top of the windscreen. Otherwise it would not like it one bit.
ImageDash bar. by bram biesiekierski, on Flickr

This is the front braces above the windscreen. Ties the top of the lateral loops in nicely with the front bar.
ImageForward braces. by bram biesiekierski, on Flickr

And this is one of the roof bars inplace. I am going for the V design roof bars, with a corresponding V in the rear stays. This basically gives you double roof bars, and double rear stay braces, but uses less material than a X X design.
ImageRight side roof bar. by bram biesiekierski, on Flickr

You will have to excuse my welds. I ran out of gas yesterday and went to Toolmart to get a new cylinder. And they arent doing PURE-GAS anymore, instead they sell WA-GAS, and it seems to be lower quality gas. All my welds are coming out with more discoloration and browning around them. Despite using the exact same settings, cups, lenses, gas flow, amps etc etc. This really **** me off. Because to buy a cylinder out right is like well over $400. You then own the bottle, and buy excahnge re-fills for like $159. I had a PURE-GAS bottle, and that was exchanged for a WA-GAS bottle. Which means now i probably wont be able to get back on the good stuff. Arseholes.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:15 am 

Vehicle: Evo IX GT wagon

What do you use to notch the bars? They look really well done.

www.instagram.com/uzumaki.garage

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:45 am 

XT666 wrote:
What do you use to notch the bars? They look really well done.

I do it by hand. First i use a 5" cut-off wheel to get the basic shape, usually it takes only 2 cuts to get a single notch roughed out. (I highly recommend Lenox MetalMax diomond cut-off wheels. 1 wheel has lasted me the ENTIRE build so far. Best $25 i ever spent.) Then i use a 5" flap wheel to smooth and contour the cope. Its actually really fast and really easy to get it right. After a few test fits and asjustments, you can get it pretty much perfect.

There is a channel on youtube called "The Fabrication Series" (Justin) who does some pretty good how to's for this kind of stuff. He has one on how to do cope tube in this method and he explains the way you do it pretty well. I havent personally used a tube notching holesaw fixture. But I am certain it would be slower. And then you would still need to finish the cope with a flap wheel anyways.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:07 am 

Vehicle: Evo IX GT wagon

Thanks for the youtube recommendation. Subscribed. I've been curious about diamond cut-off wheel, I'll have to try them.

I used to do roll cage pipe shaping on a bench grinder with multitool linishing grinding attachment, then fine tune on the car with flap disc and die grinder. Recently I bought a Radius Master belt grinder that has several different radius size wheels on it. works very well too.

www.instagram.com/uzumaki.garage

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:23 am 

Def get the diamond cut-off wheel. You will not look back. I would have used maybe 30 or 40 standard abrasive cut-offs by now. And im still on the 1st Lenox MetalMax. There is less dust, and they dont get smaller as you use them. Would bang again. (Not a paid advertisement....)

There is also a channel called "Dirty Garage" and he is currently building a cage in a RS 2.5 (basically a US 2 door GC) and he is video the whole process. Pretty interesting build. My cage is basically going to be the exact same design as his. And he even has the same seats as me.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:46 pm 

Passenger side roof bar is notched. Dont even have to weld this one, it literally just clicks into place. Haha
Image2nd roof bar by bram biesiekierski, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:15 pm 

Image2018-12-29_10-27-22 by bram biesiekierski, on Flickr

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 440 of 451   [ 4502 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 437, 438, 439, 440, 441, 442, 443 ... 451  Next