Change font size
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:40 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 3   [ 30 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: HOYEO's Silver Bandit v2.0 - 2007 SG9 XT 4EAT
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:20 pm 

Vehicle: MY07 SG9 XT

The OEM airbox looked a bit tired, had a couple of cracks and wasn't sealing all that well anymore. Time to rip that out too...

Installed OEM Fender Plug / Cover (P/N 180109)

Now to sort out an intake....went ahead and ordered a Process West 76mm CAI (in black), and in typical HOYEO fashion have changed my mind already. My goal for this FOZ is for it to one a daily driver friendly as possible -ripping the guard liner off every time I want to check the condition of the air filter didn't really appeal to me too much....so the PW CAI (still BNIB) will be up for sale too :lol:

Going to rock the SG9 STI JDM/OEM Airbox with modified (read: chopped up) snorkel - aka the "Joe" mod :thumbs: Should give me more than enough air flow, and without the induction noise being over the top. Added bonus - Ill never have to worry about water AND if I want to check the filter it'll take two spring clips and 5 mins.

The Silver Bandit v2.0 - Yee Olde **** Box!

The Silver Bandit - REHOMED!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:21 pm 

Relatively quiet day on the modding front today.

Now that the Process West TMIC was in, I decided to swap out the BOV. Went with the a plumb back - no woosh...pfft noises here. Had to replace the boost line while I was there as it was looking a bit dodgy.

Turbosmart Kompact Plumb Back - (P/N: TS-0203-1215)

Swapping out TBE tomorrow...if I can get the turbo studs out....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:06 pm 

Vehicle: MY09 XTP & MY16 BT50

And welcome back! I can definitely agree with the others here, I love a tastefully built SG like so many on here. I will be following to see where this goes! :thumbs:

Previous: '09 ZRE152 ZR (click)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:38 pm 

Vehicle: MY06 XT - Black

HOYEO wrote:

Make sure you leek test it. I had the same combo and it took a good smear of permatex to stop a vacuum leak at the flange. I don't know if it was the I/C or the BPV, but either way.

FC RX7 Track Build

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:27 pm 

S2-13BT wrote:
HOYEO wrote:

Make sure you leek test it. I had the same combo and it took a good smear of permatex to stop a vacuum leak at the flange. I don't know if it was the I/C or the BPV, but either way.

Thanks for the heads up - will keep an eye on it. For now it seems to seal just fine, all new hardware and gaskets. I guess time will tell.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:39 pm 

Well some bad (good.... :lol: ) news -

Went for a good drive today, didn’t get on it too much, but after 15 mins or so smelt something funky. Pulled over to find smoke coming from the bonnet / scoop.
Popped the hood to be greeted with more smoke and a rather nasty smell - can’t quite put my finger on what is though, kind of a plastic meets oil meets rubbery type smell... I’ve never really had the pleasure of smelling synthetic oil burn so could just be this?

Smoke was coming from under the fluid expansion tank, near the up pipe. Couldn’t pin point it completely - but damn it stinks. Real eye stinging head-spinning stuff. Once it had cooled down the smoke ceased and I could get a better look. Found no leaks, spills or anything that looked out of place. Fluids were all good, hoses all where they need to be. I am hopeful that it’s just a pool of oil / degreaser in the heat shields (I did recently fix the common oil cooler O ring leak, and gave it a good clean down afterwards).

Will have a bit more time to look over it tomorrow - but might just rip off the headers and replace them with the PSR UEL (ceramic coated) that I have in the garage...failing that I might just move along to a built engine a little bit quicker than planned :thumbs:

[EDIT] Got impatient and spent the last couple of hours under the car trying to find what is going on. Half a roll of shop towel and a can of LiquidMoly part cleaner spray later I am pretty much certain I have a power steering line leak. Which also explain the unique smell (this was dripping / spraying onto the heat shields, headers etc and burning up). PS level is low...and does not look like Dot III...

So will hold plans for an engine build for now - start looking for an FSTI SG9 Steering Rack, new pump and new lines instead.

Post subject: Re: HOYEO's Silver Bandit v2.0 (SG9) - Steering Rack Q’s
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:50 am 

Sourced new PS reservior, hoses and connectors/fittings. Now looking to replace the rack.

For now - Im thinking the 15:1 ratio (instead of 13:1 quick rack) because this will never be track driven (daily driver spec FTW) and the quick rack might be a bit twitchy for me - again I’m happy for those who disagree to make comment (after all information pros/cons is valued and probably the reason why Ozfoz is better than ‘other’ forums)...

Then have the option for bolt on braces / bushes etc to refine it further if required.

So a quick question for those who know -

Which steering rack (part number) with 15:1 ratio will be a direct ‘bolt in’ for the MY07 SG9? Before I get flamed - I have done a search, I have found some results, but need to confirm in my own mind that I’ve got the right idea.

From my understanding -
FE440 is direct bolt on, but 13:1 ratio.
SG9 STi (JDM) - found on eBay, is direct bolt on, but 13:1 ratio as well?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:41 pm 

Vehicle: MY06 XT - Black

I've got a 34110 FE200 steering rack in mine. That's a GD STI 15:1 rack. Up to MY04 I think, and in MY05 is when they changed the crossmember. Crossmember change happened after SG in Foz's.

Massive improvement over the Forester rack and no ill effects, in terms of stressing the PS pump etc. I had to slightly work the hardlines to fit into the rack though, I think there's a slight angle change on 1 of them.

FC RX7 Track Build

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:59 pm 

S2-13BT wrote:
I've got a 34110 FE200 steering rack in mine. That's a GD STI 15:1 rack. Up to MY04 I think, and in MY05 is when they changed the crossmember. Crossmember change happened after SG in Foz's.

Massive improvement over the Forester rack and no ill effects, in terms of stressing the PS pump etc. I had to slightly work the hardlines to fit into the rack though, I think there's a slight angle change on 1 of them.

Thanks mate - great info.

So if I’m looking at doing a straight swap I’m limited to MY04 or earlier, otherwise there is a cross member swap needed as well....

Anyone got a pic / link to what the ‘updated’ cross member looks like?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:00 pm 

And can someone confirm the SG9 STI rack is 34110SA090 - is it 13:1 15:1, and does it need a crossmember swap?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 3   [ 30 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3