Change font size
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:23 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 17 of 18   [ 171 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jon's MY11 S-Edition SWP
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:46 am 

Vehicle: MY11 S-Edition - SWP

ozmaen wrote:
Save yourself the angst with those corner trim pieces. Just about all of mine broke taking them off. I ended up buying a few from partsouq as they were cheap and just putting new ones on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Ozmaen. Partsoug has the right hand side but not the left. I will check again in a few weeks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:17 am 

Gecksta wrote:
I had the same issue with one of the corner trim pieces on the rear doors.
A repair I made by gluing a broken tab came off the next time I had to get the piece off, this time for the PDR guy, or as I like to refer to him "The Magician".

Not to be defeated...
I got some "Knead-It" and moulded a block onto a protrusion on the back of the trim piece - to make sure it didn't drop off at a later point.
While the block was still pliable I pushed the whole thing firmly into the mounting point to get the shape, pulled it off and let that set, then used double-sided tape to attach the trim piece.

That being said, I might go with ozmaen's suggestion and order a couple of new trim pieces from partsouq, for next time.

I had the left rear quarter panel loose/partly off when I was running the wiring for my tow bar.
It was pretty fiddly with a few interconnecting bits of boot trim but it all went back together OK.
I'll try find the resource I used.

Yeah I think getting some new ones is the way to go.

I found a few instructions about removing rear quarter panel trim but nothing that gave me confidence so anything you can provide would be good - thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:01 am 

Vehicle: MY10 XT -

Hey Jon's just catching up ...Nice job on the sound deadening on the rear doors :thumbs: Front doors next? How did you find doing the spare wheel area, did that make a noticeable difference when driving?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:39 pm 

I have done one of the front doors and part way through the other - I plan to finish the other front door this weekend. I will take some photos. Doing the spare wheel area was very simple - about 10 min. I did not cover the entire area as from what I have read 100% coverage provides little benefit over 30%-50% coverage. I will add a photo.

I definitely think it is worth doing as it is a simple job that costs about $200 and takes a few hours. Result is more solid sounding doors, less rattles, less road noise and better sounding speakers! All good :)

This link has some interesting information on the change in sound levels when using sound deadener and other products.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/#/topics/28591

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:11 pm 

Here is a before and after when sound deadening one of the front doors. The outer skin was also done. Simple process - a tip would be to have the window wound down to make attaching the door lock cable and the door handle cable easier.

Here is a before and after when sound deadening the spare wheel area. I also did the area under the left and right foam padding.

While the front door trims were off I also put in new front component speakers - Hertz 165. The difference in the size of the magnet is huge. The improvement in the quality of sound is also huge :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:24 pm 

Vehicle: MY09 XTP

Looks great. Thanks for the before and after photos.

You could eat off that wheel well!
So clean haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:39 pm 

I Say: Fozzy fozzy fozzy, oi oi oi!
Vehicle: 2011 Forester S-Edition WRB

Looks like you got the same hertz as me - just waiting for my dynamat and then they are going in

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:03 pm 

clayq wrote:
Looks like you got the same hertz as me - just waiting for my dynamat and then they are going in

Great speakers. A big improvement over stock. You will get more out of them than me as I still have the stock head unit. The tweeters are not an easy fit as they are larger than stock. I had to cut the backing of the corner trim and then glue the tweeters in. The sound will not be impacted. All good in the end just not the best fit.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:22 pm 

Clayq inspired me to get my flip key out of the drawer after 4 months and get it cut. I bought it using AliExpress from seller ‘Apollo key world’. This is what I received:

So today I went to a local locksmith (did the typical shoe repairs as well) and got the key cut - $30. I tried a couple of shoe repair/key cut places and they didn’t cut this type of key. I had to find one that classified itself as a locksmith.

Below is a YouTube video on how to put it all together.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aXO4oIyAQe8

The original key in the video is different to ours. For ours you need to undo one screw (circled in red) and then pry off the cover.

The transponder location is also different. The location is circled in red:

As noted by Clayq the key has play in it if you use use the provide pin (circled in red in first photo). Clayq suggests using a very small screw instead of the pin to make it a tight fit. I am yet to do that.

Overall - a simple change that costs about $40. All good :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:44 am 

Vehicle: MY10 XT -

Nice work on the front doors :thumbs: How did you go once you installed the front door speakers on clearance with the door glass?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 17 of 18   [ 171 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next