Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 5   [ 47 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Tire Options SJ XT
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:29 pm 

Vehicle: MY13 XT & MY02 STi

With the wet weather performance of my OEM tyres pretty awful (in spite of having 3mm of tread left) I decided to get something new. Thought about going for a different size but decided to stick with 225/55/18.

Ordered some Bridgestone RE050As from tyresales.com.au @$260 each inc local fitting but they incorrectly delivered Bridgestone Dueler HP Sports instead. Was going to return them but thought I may as well give them a try with some wet weather forecast.

Definitely not as good as the 050A but much better than I expected in both wet and dry. Quieter than the OEMs and will last longer than the 050As so I've decided to keep them. Probably on par with the Continental UHPs.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:47 pm 

Vehicle: MY13 SJ XT

Interesting Mick_MY02. I have the Conti CrossContact 225/55 R18 having had the OEM tyres for approx 55000km. Without me checking the spare I'm almost certain my XT came with Dueller HP Sport tyres.

The OEM's were not the best in the wet, however I got good mileage out of them. They were still legal and 60000km would have been achievable.

The Conti's are excellent in the wet and good in mild off road conditions, however I have to say that after 24000km's the wear is not good. I'll be lucky to get 30k out of them. Despite the wear they hold on well, even in the wet.

I do a bit of off road, nothing serious, often on forestry roads etc for what I do. Not sure what I'll get for the next set. Thinking Geolander ATSG012, maybe a bit noisy.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:23 pm 

Vehicle: MY13 XT & MY02 STi

steveD wrote:
Without me checking the spare I'm almost certain my XT came with Dueller HP Sport tyres.

OEMs are the Dueler H400. Smaller and less aggressive tread pattern compared to the HP Sport.

My OEMs were at 69000km but I rotated them with the spare and had to replace one at 50000km due to a puncture so they lasted a bit longer than normal.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:43 pm 

Thanks for that, might look at the same for my XT when the Conti's are done with.

Not a big selection for our sized tyres!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:26 pm 

Vehicle: MY13 - Dark Grey

Hello, time to replace my tyres, went to the local bridgestone shop (VIC/Hoppers Crossing) and the sales guy told me that the RE003 would not "legally" fit the SJ, I have been looking at it seems the 235x50x18 would just be a hair smaller and wider, any ideas?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:25 pm 

I Say: Bright DRLs are like Kath and Kim's "Look at moy......"
Vehicle: MY13 XTP

Thanks steveD for the Conti CrossContact UHP recommendation. Got them on for a week now, so much better than OEM tyres. Let see how long they last for!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:34 pm 

Vehicle: MY13 SJ XT - White

dariko wrote:
Hello, time to replace my tyres, went to the local bridgestone shop (VIC/Hoppers Crossing) and the sales guy told me that the RE003 would not "legally" fit the SJ, I have been looking at it seems the 235x50x18 would just be a hair smaller and wider, any ideas?

I had the RE003 on for over 55k km and it still has tread left!! Noise on the highway is quiet. Going to a lower profile tyre, 55 to 50 does make the wheels look smaller though. It seriously is a good dry tyre.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=49920&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=20

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:17 pm 

Good tyres easy but I'd have to say they didn't last as long as I'd hoped. There's not much out there for the 18's.

I had to replace mine a few months ago, having gone just over 30,000k on them. Still good wet weather grip however I had a few locations I had to go to that were well off the beaten track and couldn't risk it with the tyres.

I've taken a 'leap of faith' and gone for a set of GT Grabbers (made by Continental in USA and sold by Bob Jane). I needed slightly more aggressive tread to negotiate rough roads into radio communications sites etc, these seemed to get reasonable reviews.

After 8000k's I'm more than happy with them. In the wet not as good as the Conti's but equal to or better than the OEM's. Road noise - can't pick any difference to OEM's, Conti's a tad quieter. Price way cheaper at $205 each. As I said a leap of faith with these. Time will tell.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:02 am 

steveD wrote:
I've taken a 'leap of faith' and gone for a set of GT Grabbers (made by Continental in USA and sold by Bob Jane). I needed slightly more aggressive tread to negotiate rough roads into radio communications sites etc, these seemed to get reasonable reviews.

After 8000k's I'm more than happy with them. In the wet not as good as the Conti's but equal to or better than the OEM's. Road noise - can't pick any difference to OEM's, Conti's a tad quieter. Price way cheaper at $205 each. As I said a leap of faith with these. Time will tell.

steveD - just wondering how the Grabber GT tyres have performed +1 year later?

I've just had a left rear failure whilst doing just over 100km/h on my SJ XT running a set of Continental Crosscontact UHPs. This occurred just after a short stint on a dirt road which I suspect was the reason. No damage to car and an easy swap to spare, but this has now left me with three reasonably worn Conti UHPs and the brand new OEM Bridgestone spare on at the moment.

The Contis, whilst good tyres, have worn quickly and are quite expensive. I'm not 100% sure how far they've travelled, but think it would be around 25-30,000km, so they are nearing the end of their (short) life.

I'm tossing up whether to buy 3 x new OEMs and continue running the spare or potentially switch to these Grabber GTs. 4 x Grabber GTs are cheaper than 3 x OEMs which seems a good value proposition.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:18 pm 

I've travelled 19500km on them. Just got the car serviced last week & Subaru reported 5mm tread depth on front tyre & 6mm on rears. I'm with you on the Conti's excellent roadholding but they don't last long. Didn't know that at the time when I had the XT shod with them. Looking at Grabbers I'd say not yet half worn, so hopefully I'll get 50k out of them.

The grabbers are on par with the OEM's in regard to wet weather handling. So far a fairly quiet tyre. Off road they perform well and no issue last winter driving in snow down at Perisher. If I was driving more off road I'd look at the Yoko AT range. Unfortunately not a big range for the XT tyres. In summary the Grabbers are value for money with a slight trade off on wet weather handling.

I'm hopeful of not having to replace the tyres again. New XT about to be revealed, might have to consider a replacement!. The XT has been a great car and no issues. The software upgrade and Danoz fix being the only work outside of normal servicing.

Cheers Steve

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 5   [ 47 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next