Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 5   [ 47 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Tire Options SJ XT
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:14 pm 

Vehicle: MY14 XT - Dark Grey Metallic

Has anyone for wider tyres on stock rim?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:07 am 

Vehicle: MY13 SJ XT - White

Jurrasic wrote:
Has anyone for wider tyres on stock rim?

Yes, I'm on Bridgestone RE003. See the thread:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=49920&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=20

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:05 am 

Vehicle: MY13

Thanks for all the geedback guys. Think ATs are not the choice for me as a daily..think im heading the other way in fact and maybe will get some other smalle wheels for an offroad trip one day.

Jay any cons from going to the smaller profile tires? I gather these are your everyday tire?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:53 am 

Vehicle: MY13 SJ XT - White

I got the re003 as a multi purpose tyre for every day driving and the occasional track day. There is approximately 80% tread left after 10k km and participating in one track day.

Going to a lower profile tyre usually increases the ride harshness but I haven't really noticed. Bare in mind, the road that I drive on are in good condition.

The only draw back is that the wheels look visually smaller due to the ground clearance.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:28 pm 

Vehicle: MY13 XT Premium - Grey

So I upgraded to a wider profile rim recently, Work CR kiwami's 18's 8.5 wide +38, running pirelli p-zero's 235/50, done a couple of goulburn to melbourne runs recently, really grippy when it's dry, but more importantly, MUCH better than the oem duelers when it's wet, and relatively quiet on the hwy for every day use which is a plus.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:28 pm 

Have you got some pics of the wheels on your ride? Or maybe i should wait for your build thread :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:30 pm 

Vehicle: MY13 XT Premium - Grey

Still waiting to get a free chance to install some goodies I've got sitting around the house, so it's still at a flying dutchman height haha

waiting for centers caps, 120 bucks for forged work caps is a joke!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:11 am 

So after sitting on this for a while i ended up getting the Continentals following SteveD's comments.

I can tell they have more grip (atleast more than the oem's in their worn state). I am still yet to decide how i feel about handling as i haven't had that much time on them and the first week after the install the wheel alignment was whack so had to go back to the tire shop to get that sorted (I am surprised they managed to make it worse than when i brought it in considering it was one of those fanciy laser alignment sytems and it looked lik all you need to do is do what the screen tells you - teaches me to try to get it done before they close on a Saturday).

Anyhow before i pulled the plug i was running my new spare with the other older tires about 40k on them. After doing a bit off reading and worrying myself i found alot of comments on the Subaru AWD system and the sensitivity of the centre diff with mismatched tires and all that (particularly front an back). I have also seen that previously you could add/remove a fuse to put the awd into some limp 2wd mode for subarus with space saver tires / towing?...not sure if this makes sense though?

Just wanted to know what peoples thoughts were on this and how this applies to the CVT in the SJ.

I was a bit worried about the change in tire tread but my main concern now is that my spare is the oem bridgestone. Do people think in the event of a flat that driving with an oem spare and 3 other Conti's would be bad for the drivetrain?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:16 am 

Vehicle: MY13 SJ XT

Trust you'll be happy with the Continentals. Can't offer any comment on the using the spare re different tread patterns You should be ok, maybe check with your Service Centre. The tread pattern is not too different

I've done 16k on the Continentals and very happy thus far with their performance over the OEM's. I can't see them going to 55K like the originals though. Like all Subarus I've owned I change tyres front to back every approx 7k and check pressures regularly. All helps in getting longevity out of the tyres.

Happy motoring :P

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:20 am 

I Say: I am a Subarist!
Vehicle: 06 JDM STi Foz

loode88 wrote:
So after sitting on this for a while i ended up getting the Continentals following SteveD's comments.
I was a bit worried about the change in tire tread but my main concern now is that my spare is the oem bridgestone. Do people think in the event of a flat that driving with an oem spare and 3 other Conti's would be bad for the drivetrain?

If the spare has the same rolling diameter as the new Conti's on the car it wont be a problem.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 5   [ 47 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next