Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 5   [ 47 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: New Tire Options SJ XT
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:24 pm 

Vehicle: MY13

Hey all

So i have been unlucky with with screws and nails since having the SJ and now i think i am left with one tire that hasn't had a puncture repair. Managed to score another one tonight and only realised as the car was driving funny (tire which was flat enough to wear out the top of the OEM Bridgestone on the sidewalls).

Anyhow i have looked (not that handy with searching) but couldn't really find a thread on peoples options for new tires. So what do you guys have? A second round of OEM's or other? and for those with all terrains, how do they fair on the road. I would like to go off road and i did have Yokohama Geolanders on my old xtrail ... but given the power of handling of the XT vs the xtrail not sure i want to loose to much performance on the road if i only plan to play off road once or twice a year.

Cheers

Anthony

Post subject: Re: New Tire Options SJ XT
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:45 am 

I Say: Embrace the Grind
Vehicle: Regal Blue 05 XT Lux manual

keep 2 sets of wheels then you don't have to compromise
stock 16s come up often enough in the used market quite cheap.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:01 am 

I Say: Who Needs Boost Anyway??
Vehicle: MY10 2.0D Premium

for once or twice a year off-road, I wouldn't bother with all-terrains.
There are some very good HT, touring and SUV specific tyres available now with aggressive treads that are also great on the road.

Michelin's Latitude Cross is a good looking tyre, almost a rally-style tread pattern.

For something more Rugged, the BFG Rugged Terrain is a new lighter-tread AT compared with the AT KO/ KO2

I have the original BFG AT KO's on my SH9 in 16" and the out-handle the factory fitted 17's on every surface, wet or dry, sealed or unsealed.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:24 pm 

Vehicle: MY13 SJ XT

I replaced the OEM tyres at 55000km, that was back in May. Tyres still legal but very slippery in the wet.
Went for Continental 225/55R18 (stock size) Crosscontact UHP. Very happy with them, quieter and better wet weather performance than the OEM's when new.

I do several trips a year into rough terrain and forestry trails undertaking radio comm's surveys, the Conti's have performed well getting up steep slippery/gravel tracks. For really serious off road you'd need more aggressive tyres and I wouldn't use the XT for this.

Have done 10k with them & all is well, although not sure if I'll get the same distance out of them as the Bridgestones.

Hope this helps.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:53 pm 

Vehicle: WRX MY00; MY06 XT; MY13 XT

I fitted Yoko AT/S 225/55/18.

OEM's were Hankook Ventus ME01 (no longer available) which were pretty good road tyres, but no good in sand & mud. I decided I need something more chunky for dirt surfaces.

The Yoko's are noticeably noisier, but still not bad. The tar handling seems to be about the same. There is a noticeable improvement in dirt road handling.

So far I've done about 6,000 k's and am very happy. Will probably do the same next tyre change.

regards- Peter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:20 pm 

Vehicle: MY13 SJ XT Premium

steveD wrote:
… Went for Continental 225/55R18 (stock size) Crosscontact UHP. Very happy with them, quieter and better wet weather performance than the OEM's when new. …
Steve, compared to the OEM Bridgestones on the SJ XT, how do you find the turn-in, dry weather grip, & ride comfort?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:50 pm 

Vehicle: MY13 SJ XT

Sorry for delay in replying Subxt. Been out of town.
The Continentals are are quieter than the OEM's and in my opinion give improved dry weather handling & turn-in. Comfort is as good or better. My only concern is the mileage I'm likely to get out of them. I'll reach 40k plus, but doubt I'll get to 55k like the OEM's.

Continental had a deal on, pay for 3 get four.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:06 pm 

Vehicle: MY04 XT

I have Continentals on another car and very impressed with them, especially in the wet. I just bought a set of 4 Michelin Pilot Sport PS3s for my XT 225/55R17 which will go on this week. Will try to remember to post back after I've driven on em for a few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:04 pm 

steveD wrote:
Sorry for delay in replying Subxt. Been out of town. …
No need for the apologies Steve, I’m a fair way off from needing new tyres. :)

Doing a bit of on-line research there doesn’t seem to be a lot of stock size 225/55 R18 (98H or higher) tyres available for the SJ XTs. I was keen on Michelins but they aren’t available in stock size, so was convinced I would have to fit the Toyos I had on previous Subarus, until I read your earlier post.

The only negative comments I have read on-line about the Continental Crosscontact UHP was to do with high wear rate on some vehicle brands, but your estimated 40k plus wouldn’t be too bad if they were better than the stock Bridgestones in other areas, provided they didn’t get noisier with wear (I can’t stand noisy tyres).

Thanks for your valuable feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:09 pm 

comport3 wrote:
I have Continentals on another car and very impressed with them, especially in the wet. …
Thanks, good to know.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 5   [ 47 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next