Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 5   [ 42 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Subaru Upper Engine Cleaner SA459 for SJ
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:57 pm 

Vehicle: MY13 SJ XT - White

easy_peasy899 wrote:
Is 98 RON really not suitable for our XTs?

I've totally ignored the advice on here to use 95 ron. My car has been filled with 98 ron exclusively and I've never had any problems.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:11 pm 

Vehicle: MY13

Hmm I have noticed this just today I am also getting a slight shake even when warmed up and just at the lights. I have always used 98 fuel and had my first service about a month ago.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:17 pm 

I Say: Bright DRLs are like Kath and Kim's "Look at moy......"
Vehicle: MY13 XTP

So.....

I cleaned up MAF and MAP. Reset ECU via Torque Pro clear fault code (not battery disconnect way). Did Legacy idle re-learn. It helps to certain degree. Still I get the light shakes at idle. But I further notice shakes will occur at idle if I come to stop after mild spirited drive.

Is this light shake the infamous Subaru boxer shimmy? And my backside is overly sensitive?

Here is wondering.......

http://www.uklegacy.com/forums/index.ph ... isconnect/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:00 am 

Vehicle: MY13 SJ XT Premium

easy_peasy899 wrote:
... Is this light shake the infamous Subaru boxer shimmy? And my backside is overly sensitive?
http://www.uklegacy.com/forums/index.ph ... isconnect/

That link makes interesting reading. I find the Subaru H4 (turbo or NA engines) don’t idle as smooth as the Subaru H6 engines, but I find this model XT is pretty good.

Just a guess, but I wonder if your throttle body needs cleaning? (see my comments in an earlier post).
I noticed this http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... &p=22#r422 post on whirlpool.net .au about Subaru Upper Engine Cleaner by ‘Liability’, & Liability’s posts further down.

Actually mine has been running & idling pretty good, but that could be because of two weeks of open road running (in excess of 3000km) a few weeks ago - down the NSW South Coast, across to Victoria then back home via the NSW Central West. During this period I did a fair bit of climbing & descending steep hills & mountains (for example Mount Hotham both ways) which cleaned the cobwebs out.

subXT wrote:
easy_peasy899 wrote:
Maybe I should switch back to 95RON before I do any MAF and MAP cleaning?
Seeing you recently changed to V Power, that would be my plan of attack to see what happens after a tankfull. If that doesn’t work, I would try the SA459 next.

As an experiment, on the trip I tried 3 consecutive tanks of 98 RON (Shell & Caltex) & the rest of the time I used 95 RON (Caltex) as I normally do – I couldn’t detect any difference in acceleration, torque, fuel economy, throttle response or smoothness (idle) between the two, which makes me think that these XTs are tuned for 95 RON.
Fuel economy wasn’t as good as what I expected (with either RON fuel), but most of the time I wasn’t driving for economy. Engine oil use over that period was zero, even though I didn’t spare the revs.

At Bright in Victoria I came across another SJ XT which surprisingly had grey coloured stock exhaust tips (no sign of any black carbon at all), yet back home I followed another SJ XT & the stock exhaust tips were very black with carbon. I wondered if the XT at Bright hadn’t had the ECM update or maybe it did a lot of open road driving. The colour of the exhaust tips on our XT didn’t change from when I last washed the car just before leaving on the trip, so maybe it is short runs around town that carbons up the tips on this model (this was never a problem with the previous SH XT).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:42 pm 

subXT wrote:
Just a guess, but I wonder if your throttle body needs cleaning? (see my comments in an earlier post).

Yup, Upper engine and throttle body clean is next on my hit list.
subXT wrote:
I noticed this http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... &p=22#r422 post on whirlpool.net .au about Subaru Upper Engine Cleaner by ‘Liability’, & Liability’s posts further down.

It could be true. Dealer service area down at the back, waiting area way at the front. No one sees anything, easy to chuck the whole full can in the bin and pretend it's been done. Car is still under warranty anyway, Subaru Australia will cover if anything goes.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:50 pm 

Vehicle: MY13 XT

This may seem a bit dumb like my "use 95 octane because it makes our engines accelerate smoother" comment when we were all having troubles pre-update. But, I was having the same issues, with a small bump feeling on idle every now and then sometimes it felt like a cylinder was misfiring almost every cycle of the engine. Anyhoo, I checked the oil and it was a little bit over. By that I mean it was about 1/8th the distance between the two low and full marks on the dipstick. So I drained the oil (easy when you have a fumoto valve) and it was 300-400ml overfull. There was always a strong engine oil smell from the car when it was hot, idling or stopped. Voila, smooth idle. Never had the trouble since.

My theory, too much oil getting splashed around in the crankcase causing oil mist in PCV system, causing slight misfire.

Give it a try Mr.Easy. Check your oil when hot on a flat level surface, make sure its not above the Full dot. Drain as necessary.

Merry Christmas Everyone!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:24 pm 

Happy New Year guys!!!

Dan. It's the opposite of dumb. Perhaps the dumb is on me. I assumed the oil level is ok from last check. So before the xmas road trip I re-checked all the essentials and found oil is over the Full dot by what could be 15 mm or so. Extracted the oil to level with Full dot and she seems to be smoother. Not 100% sure yet because almost every drive since has been with A/C on. Will monitor and update again.

Looks like Fumoto is a way to go if she is that sensitive to oil level. Dan, is it F108N for our XTs? Some say the valves extend into the pan and will not fully drain all the oil??

Thanks as always.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:18 pm 

subXT wrote:
At Bright in Victoria I came across another SJ XT which surprisingly had grey coloured stock exhaust tips (no sign of any black carbon at all), yet back home I followed another SJ XT & the stock exhaust tips were very black with carbon. I wondered if the XT at Bright hadn’t had the ECM update or maybe it did a lot of open road driving. The colour of the exhaust tips on our XT didn’t change from when I last washed the car just before leaving on the trip, so maybe it is short runs around town that carbons up the tips on this model (this was never a problem with the previous SH XT).

subXT,

Out of curiosity, is black carbon on the exhaust tips normal? What does this indicate?

Checked mine last night out of curiosity having remembered this thread and mine have black on them.

I don't do a lot of open road driving, mainly around town. MY14 XT Standard and I've had the ECU Update.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:58 am 

Not worrying much about black carbon on the exhaust tips. Features of Direct Injection engine I supposed.

What worries me is possible carbon build up in the engine...... and how bad/not too bad is it......

Anyone installing or installed oil catch can, or two cans? Please share.....

Cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:22 pm 

Vehicle: MY13 SJ XT Premium

schmick23 wrote:
subXT,
Out of curiosity, is black carbon on the exhaust tips normal? What does this indicate?
Checked mine last night out of curiosity having remembered this thread and mine have black on them.
I don't do a lot of open road driving, mainly around town. MY14 XT Standard and I've had the ECU Update.

Black carbon on the inside of the exhaust is normal on a petrol engine that runs on unleaded fuel (on leaded petrol fuelled cars it was a grey colour).

However compared to my previous MY09 2.5lt SH XT (which had the same SS exhaust tips) this car gets a larger carbon build-up & it also gets in the area between the outside of the main exhaust pipe end & the end of the SS exhaust tip. The previous model XT never used to get this when driving under the same conditions & using the same 95RON fuel from the same service station (I don’t know if the fuel still comes from the same refinery though), so I assume it is running richer at certain revs/conditions. I know it isn’t oil because none of my XTs have ever burnt a skerrick of oil.

It is possible that this could also be due to the slightly different shaped back & under floor pan area. I remember a long while ago talking to an MY04 2.0lt Liberty GT owner & he complained about black carbon on the rear bumper bar from the exhausts. His theory was the exhaust ends were too far under the car & any fumes (petrol, oil?) were getting sucked back onto the rear bumper. He intended to lengthen the exhaust ends to try & solve this. I don’t know the results of this or if it was ever done.

Last edited by subXT on Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 5   [ 42 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next