Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 14 of 17   [ 164 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: SJ Suspension Mods!!!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:08 pm 

Vehicle: MY13 XT

I have just ordered a 19mm OEM rear swaybar thanks to the contributions by everyone in this thread.

It will take 3 weeks from Japan... Im very excited!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:57 am 

Vehicle: MY13 SJ XT - White

Dan, once the RSB is installed you're gonna realise what you've been missing out on :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:19 am 

subXT wrote:
To do a proper test with the go-pro you would need to cut your nice new bar in half, unless you knock up a temporary bar.
I'm going to keep my bar nice and shiny!! :D
subXT wrote:
that particular car it does show the twist when jacking up one side (the two bar halves moving forward/backwards in relation to each other).
The s15 is at least 15 years old now, it doesn't surprise me that it has that much flex. Good thing about our SJ's is that the strut is located near the firewall. I'm sure the design keeps the front strut quite rigid even without a strut bar.

Anyway, I took off the STB today so I can independently trial the springs once its installed.
I notice the bolt's washer (which joins the strut bar and its mount) had a bit of abrasion. The nut was torqued firmly on the bolt and caused the washer to shed some metal due to the movement or the flex of the chassis/strut bar. I'm going to loosen the nut when the STB is going back on.....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:39 pm 

Vehicle: MY13 SJ XT Premium

jayc0au wrote:
... I notice the bolt's washer (which joins the strut bar and its mount) had a bit of abrasion. The nut was torqued firmly on the bolt and caused the washer to shed some metal due to the movement or the flex of the chassis/strut bar. I'm going to loosen the nut when the STB is going back on.....
At first I thought that could have been caused by the spring washer biting into the flat washer when it was tightened, but it looks to be in the wrong direction. It’s unusual to have a flat washer under a spring washer if that’s how it’s meant to be assembled.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:45 pm 

Vehicle: MY10 Pov Pack

Subaru chassis are weak as ****, that's why the stiffer MY15 WRX corners so well vs the MY12-MY14 even though they use the same springs, shocks, sway bars etc, also why Spec Cs get reinforced strut towers along with the strut brace.
The same deal with Forester, floppy as piss metals <:
If you're getting that much angle of wear on the washer, just imagine how much rotation is happening at the bolt and how that translates into flex.
TL:DR, I'll probably get the Beatrush FSB for my SH :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:47 am 

subXT wrote:
At first I thought that could have been caused by the spring washer biting into the flat washer when it was tightened, but it looks to be in the wrong direction. It’s unusual to have a flat washer under a spring washer if that’s how it’s meant to be assembled.

That's what I initially though too. I do recall when the bolt was tightened that the spring washer didn't really move, it was just compressing. I guess the spring washer is assembled that way to keep the nut from spinning off by given the nut some tension. Anyway, I should have paid attention to the direction of the spring washer. I'll put it back on the correct way with a new accompanying washer and see what happens.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:15 pm 

terrastrife wrote:
Subaru chassis are weak as ****, that's why the stiffer MY15 WRX corners so well vs the MY12-MY14 even though they use the same springs, shocks, sway bars etc, also why Spec Cs get reinforced strut towers along with the strut brace. ...

The SJ XT got some extra work as well over the SH XT. Just a few items I picked up in regards to stiffening from MyDrive at: http://mydrivemedia.com.au/all-the-info ... -forester/

“The rear sub-frame is stiffened, ...
The front strut outer cylinder is thicker and the housing bracket enlarged, increasing strut and tread rigidity, producing more responsive and natural steering.
To improve rigidity of the link mounting and rear suspension tread rigidity, lateral-link front brackets and rear cross-members from the rear sub-frame are thickened. This produces a more solid rear suspension feel and more responsive steering.
To improve driving on poor road surfaces and reduce noise and vibration, Forester’s body is stiffened around the front bulkhead, front suspension mounting area and pillar.
At the rear there is extra stiffening around the cargo door opening and suspension mounting area.
Underneath, new structural members improve joint stiffness.”

There is big difference when you drive the SH XT & the SJ XT, but some of that difference is probably due to the improved suspension in addition to the above stiffening.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:33 am 

jayc0au wrote:
... I do recall when the bolt was tightened that the spring washer didn't really move, it was just compressing. I guess the spring washer is assembled that way to keep the nut from spinning off by given the nut some tension. Anyway, I should have paid attention to the direction of the spring washer. I'll put it back on the correct way with a new accompanying washer and see what happens.
My post was a bit vague. What I meant was have a spring washer without a flat washer - the normal way to fit a spring washer/nut combination. That’s assuming the bolt hole is a neat size. The only problem is the spring washer will then bight into the nice blue paint on your bar. :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:40 pm 

subXT wrote:
My post was a bit vague. What I meant was have a spring washer without a flat washer - the normal way to fit a spring washer/nut combination. That’s assuming the bolt hole is a neat size. The only problem is the spring washer will then bight into the nice blue paint on your bar. :cry:

Now that you have mentioned the blue paint....... I noticed the blue strut/bar mount has abrasions by rubbing into bar! I'm going to put a few more washers in. Altogether, 4 washers through one bolt, that should give the bar less resistance in movement.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:46 pm 

Vehicle: MY13 XT

Ok guys. Rear swaybar has arrived. Install on Saturday. But, what is the consensus on greasing the bushes. Yay or nay?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 14 of 17   [ 164 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next