Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 17   [ 164 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: SJ Suspension Mods!!!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:20 am 

Vehicle: My14 XT Black

Found an install video for front and rear sway bars on an 08 STI, the video also has torque settings for the sway bar, and the video is sponsored by whiteline so I reckon it has some credit.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nt3lui1TN84

The RSB install starts at 6:30.

Torque specs advised for RSB in the video:
Endlink bolt: 35 ft/lb
Bushing bracket: 18 ft/lb
Lateral link: 89 ft/lb

Sorry for the multiple edits of this post everyone

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:57 am 

Tein street flex coilovers for the SJ...

http://www.carmodsaustralia.com.au/tein ... ssa2-51ss3

Now to just convince the wife that we need this lol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:02 pm 

I Say: The ting goes skrrrahh, pap, pap, ka-ka-ka Skidiki-pap-pap, and a pu-pu-pudrrrr-boom
Vehicle: Crystal Grey '05 XT

This thread needs more pics.

|IHI VF34|GS EBCS|X-FORCE TBE|PW TMIC|APS CAI|BC COILOVERS|+ MORE|

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:16 pm 

When I do my RSB I'll put up a full write up with pics.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:30 pm 

Vehicle: MY13 SJ XT Premium

Bryn88 wrote:
Found what you were talking about subxt.
That looks like the one. :)

As I mentioned previously, the reason I decided to go with the MY11 WRX STi rear 19mm bar on our MY09 XT instead of the 20mm Whiteline was mainly because of the bushes.
Prior to purchase some years ago I spoke to someone at Whiteline who seemed very familiar with their equipment on Subarus. In answer to my questions he said that some Subaru owners (not sure which models) found they had to regrease the Whiteline swaybar bushes about every twelve months to prevent squeaking. I wasn’t prepared to do this so I went with the 19mm Subaru rear bar with rubber bushes.

If I remember correctly, he also said that with a 20mm or thinner rear bar, the Whiteline KBR15 swaybar mount supports shouldn’t be needed, but with rear bars in excess of 20mm they should be fitted. I think the same applied to the standard 8.0mm OD end links. I didn’t fit the KBR15 swaybar mount supports & used the stock end links on that vehicle & didn’t experience any problems.
That was a few years ago & in respect to the MY09 XT, so I don’t know if that still applies today & if any of that applies to the SJ XT.

As far as removing the original bar & fitting the new; it’s a piece of cake – takes less than 1/2 an hour on a level surface without jacking up the vehicle.

asp1135 wrote:
... What I am not sure on though is the replacement shocks. I would think we will have to replace them as ours are self levelling? ...
I didn’t think the SJ XTs had self levelling rear struts – but I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:15 pm 

Vehicle: MY13 SJ XTP

subXT wrote:

If I remember correctly, he also said that with a 20mm or thinner rear bar, the Whiteline KBR15 swaybar mount supports shouldn’t be needed, but with rear bars in excess of 20mm they should be fitted. I think the same applied to the standard 8.0mm OD end links. I didn’t fit the KBR15 swaybar mount supports & used the stock end links on that vehicle & didn’t experience any problems.
That was a few years ago & in respect to the MY09 XT, so I don’t know if that still applies today & if any of that applies to the SJ XT.

I retained the original end links on my SH with the 22mm bar, but I did have the support mounts. Looking at the SJ I am not certain that the support mounts from the SH will fit, so that might be the limiting factor at this stage. As I agree on the 22mm bar I would want the mount points strengthened as they look pretty flimsy. I also never had to re-grease the whiteline bar in 3yrs (50,000km).

asp1135 wrote:
... What I am not sure on though is the replacement shocks. I would think we will have to replace them as ours are self levelling? ...
subXT wrote:
I didn’t think the SJ XTs had self levelling rear struts – but I could be wrong.

Yeah I am not sure, I though given that we have HID headlights there needs to be an adjustment mechanism and figured that Subaru would have just stuck with the self levelling shocks. Might have to investigate further!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:03 pm 

asp1135 wrote:
... Looking at the SJ I am not certain that the support mounts from the SH will fit, so that might be the limiting factor at this stage. ...
If I can find where I stored the support mounts (I did buy them but didn’t fit them) I’ll put them up against the bolts on our XT & see how they look. I won’t fit them though. I spent some time this morning trying to find them but so far no luck.

I don’t know what model Subarus had the Whiteline bushes that started to squeak, & the chap from Whiteline didn’t say. I think I would have first read about the squeak from the bushes on subaruforester.org & from what I read it was only experienced by some owners – that’s why I asked him the question. It may have even been due to the wrong length shorter end links being used – but I’m just guessing.
Didn’t one setting on the adjustable Whiteline rear bar appear to put extra strain on something due to a different angle, or am I thinking about the wrong brand of bar?

I thought the self levelling system for the HID low beam was in or at the rear of the headlight assembly. I was under the impression that the SH model Fozzes (except for the S Edition) was the last that had self levelling struts on the Fozzes to date.
What you said about the SL rear struts being used for the HIDs does make sense though, even though some non HID fitted models also had SL rear struts. Interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:06 pm 

subXT wrote:
asp1135 wrote:
... Looking at the SJ I am not certain that the support mounts from the SH will fit, so that might be the limiting factor at this stage. ...
If I can find where I stored the support mounts (I did buy them but didn’t fit them) I’ll put them up against the bolts on our XT & see how they look. I won’t fit them though. ...
These are photos I took some time ago of our previous MY09 SH XT Premium’s standard 16mm rear sway bar mounting (left & right sides viewed from the rear of the vehicle).
MY09 SH XT RHS rear standard swaybar mounting
MY09 SH XT LHS rear standard swaybar mounting

These photos are of our MY13 SJ XT Premiums’s standard 16mm rear swaybar mounting (left & right sides viewed from the rear of the vehicle).
MY13 SJ XT RHS rear standard swaybar mounting
MY13 SJ XT LHS rear standard swaybar mounting
Note the sensor arm behind the swaybar bush bracket connecting to the sensor on the other side of the bracket behind the swaybar. I always thought this was for the self levelling rear suspension on the MY09 SH XT but maybe it is for the VDC or to monitor the rear height for the HID low beams. Does anyone know for certain? Edit: From what I can gather it appears to be a rear height sensor for the self levelling HID low beams.

This photo is of our MY13 SJ XT Premium’s standard 16mm rear swaybar mounting (right side viewed from the rear of the vehicle), with the Whiteline KBR15 swaybar mount support cable tied over the top of the bolts for the purpose of a photo.
MY13 SJ XT RHS rear standard swaybar with Whiteline KBR15 mount support temporarily attached
It looks to me like it will fit. However the OD of the mount support (the rear of the larger tube that is cut at an angle just to the left of the left cable tie in the photo) measures too large at 38mm OD to fit in the dished shape part of the bottom arm bracket where it would be bolted to. But when I look at that dished part in the photo of the MY09 XT it appears to be the same. I didn’t fit these to our MY09 XT so I don’t how that fits. The nut will fit inside that tube ok. Edit: ‘Raid’ from this post onwards has supplied some information on this.

The differences between the standard swaybars & end links on the MY09 SH XT compared to the MY13 SJ XT:
MY09 SH XT rear swaybar: 16mm OD with 8.0mm OD end links.
MY09 SH XT front swaybar: 21mm OD with 8.0mm OD end links.
MY13 SJ XT rear swaybar: 16mm OD with 8.0mm OD end links.
MY13 SH XT front swaybar: 24mm OD with 10.5mm OD end links.

Edited to include information via additional link.

Last edited by subXT on Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:38 pm 

I always thought that the self levelling rear struts were for towing, when the weight of the trailer or what ever is being towed drops the rear height of the car and the struts raise it back to original height to keep the 'normal' handling dynamics when towing.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:25 pm 

Bryn88 wrote:
I always thought that the self levelling rear struts were for towing, when the weight of the trailer or what ever is being towed drops the rear height of the car and the struts raise it back to original height to keep the 'normal' handling dynamics when towing.
Yes that was my understanding, with any change of load at or in the rear of the vehicle. And they worked brilliantly in my opinion.
But if I’m correct, ‘asp1135’ may have been thinking that in addition to that, the self levelling rear suspension would also keep the HID low beam headlights at the correct height with any change in rear load.

I also edited my previous post with a link to information that ‘Raid’ provided in another topic about the Whiteline swaybar mount supports.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 17   [ 164 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next