Change font size

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 12 of 12   [ 116 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Post subject: Re: How to fix SJ XT rattle, hesitation, smoke and surging.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:35 pm 

Vehicle: MY14XT

Danoz wrote:
You never installed them Allan? I remember dropping them off in your letter box a few years ago.

Hey Danoz,
Hope you're well mate. No I didn't install yours but my mechanic had my car for a few days and surprise surprise the damn OEM clamps failed when he was mucking around on the freeway .... he had to limp the car back to his workshop and he installed a new set of clamps - so all is good now, hence your set is still around at home, untouched since. This is a good 18 months now I reckon. How's your car going? I'm thinking of trading in, my car's coming close to 4 years now ... time flies!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:18 pm 

Vehicle: MY16 XT - White

Does anyone know if MY16 Forester XT are affected by this issue?
I had black smoke coming from my car every time I accelerate up the
Hill or really long incline. And the car hesitates to accelerate around 3000rpm.
Really annoyed, and I'm running 98 octane fuel.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:55 pm 

Vehicle: MY10 XTP - Newport Blue

Izedin wrote:
Hill or really long incline. And the car hesitates to accelerate around 3000rpm.

My MY16XT gave the occasional puff of smoke under acceleration. Mentioned it at the last service I just had, and there was software update they did for it.
Not sure if its fixed yet. Time will tell.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:38 am 

Vehicle: MY13 XT

MY14XT wrote:
Danoz wrote:
You never installed them Allan? I remember dropping them off in your letter box a few years ago.

Hey Danoz,
Hope you're well mate. No I didn't install yours but my mechanic had my car for a few days and surprise surprise the damn OEM clamps failed when he was mucking around on the freeway .... he had to limp the car back to his workshop and he installed a new set of clamps - so all is good now, hence your set is still around at home, untouched since. This is a good 18 months now I reckon. How's your car going? I'm thinking of trading in, my car's coming close to 4 years now ... time flies!

Yeh mate, Still got the old girl. up to 70Ks now and still going strong. Would love an MY18 but Im broke now and for the rest of my life I reckon. Hows your car going?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:40 am 

Vehicle: MY13 XT

Yummiyyman wrote:
Izedin wrote:

My MY16XT gave the occasional puff of smoke under acceleration. Mentioned it at the last service I just had, and there was software update they did for it.
Not sure if its fixed yet. Time will tell.

A bit of smoke is OK. Mostly you will see that haze in the headlights in your rear view. Its just carbon. If you hear the big klack, klack, klack, klack noise you need to get to Subaru for the update.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:59 am 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

More specifically, when you put the car under enough acceleration load the ECU (tuned or OEM) will go from:-

(a) 14.7:1 Air-fuel ratio (i.e the cleanest burn where all air and all fuel get consumed, "stoichiometric"); to

(b) an AFR in the ballpark of 10:1 or 11:1 ("rich") in order to add a cooling effect of extra unburned fuel in the cylinders. That unburned fuel comes out the exhaust as a puff of blackish soot/smoke.

The third state of affairs is "lean" (eg 20:1 AFR), which deliberately occurs when you take your foot off the throttle while cruising down a hill. The ECU cuts fuel to a bare minimum.

You can keep an eye on the AFR cheaply and easily with a Bluetooth OBD2 sender ($15 on ebay), an android device (eg your phone) and the Torque Pro app ($5).

It can also monitor actual fuel use (in cc/min), boost, and a hundred other bits of data.

I think it makes the driver more fuel-efficient and better generally to know what driver inputs cause what ECU behaviours.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 12 of 12   [ 116 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12