Change font size
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:53 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 12 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Roof Top Tents
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:58 pm 

Vehicle: MY18 2.5iL

Hi everyone, looking for recommendations on roof top tents for my MY18 2.5iL Forester.

So far looking at:

1) Yakima Skyrise: https://www.yakima.com/skyrise-tent-medium
2) ARB Simpson III: https://www.arb.com.au/tents-swags-awni ... top-tents/
3) Tepui Kukenam - https://tepui.com/products/explorer-series-kukenam-3

The Yakima is really appealing due as it's light weigh and requires no tools to install, whereas the the others require some tools, making it a bit more of hassle to take on and off.

Reviews online are all very similar, they are similarly priced and all seem to be very good quality.

Does anyone out there have a RTT installed on their Forester?
Any recommendations?
Anyone have experience with the above tents?
Any noticeable hit to your mileage with an RTT up top?

Cheers,

Post subject: Re: Roof Top Tents
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:48 am 

I Say: very little. It always gets me into trouble ...
Vehicle: MY07 X MT

Boulderer wrote:
Hi everyone, looking for recommendations on roof top tents for my MY18 2.5iL Forester.
The first recommendation is to consider the weight rating of the roof mounting of the Forester. I may be wrong but I expect you will find it is NOT rated to support the weight of two adults and a RTT.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:12 am 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

zippo wrote:
The first recommendation is to consider the weight rating of the roof mounting of the Forester. I may be wrong but I expect you will find it is NOT rated to support the weight of two adults and a RTT.

It might work if the two adults lie very still. So fine for married couples....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:58 pm 

Vehicle: MY10 XTP & MY06 RColt

I believe weight rating is ~70kg for roof rails.
The Rola pod we have says 70kg max weight, with an even distribution across the floor of it.
Also have to factor in the racks that are used to mount the RTT to.. also typically rated to the same figure.

The argument I believe is around static weight vs weight loading that high on the vehicle body when it's moving, turning corners, like a sail boat out on the ocean seas :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:50 pm 

Vehicle: MY18 2.5iL

According to the Forester manual the Dynamic Load Rating for the roof is 80kg. I've seen Rhino Racks online with an 80kg rating as well.

From what I've read online all that means is that the weight of the RTT and the rack needs to come in under the dynamic load rating to be safe whilst driving.

Something like the Darche Hi-View which weights about 58kg with the 7.5kg annex should be sweet.

I haven't found anything definitive online on what the static load limit on vehicles are, however the consensus has been that the static limit is far greater than the dynamic.

Also I figured a lot of these RTT's are modeled on Forester's/Outbacks/Rav4's so they should be suitable...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:33 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

Ive seen RTTs literally pull the roof rack rail out of the roof on a Nissan Navara. But thats with constant city driving with it on, and multiple camping/offroad use, including a full lap of Australia and a tour of the Gibb River rd and out to Kulambaru.

I cant speak for any of the other brands. But Kobie has had a few dramas with her ARB early on. The cover **** up after touring. And they reluctantly replaced it under warranty with a different cover, which **** up again and she has had an auto upholsterer make her another cover. She does use the tent ALOT though. (As mentioned above.) The seams/stitching of the tent are now failing aswell, basically falling apart at the seams. But i think its fair to say she has well and truly got her moneys worth out of it now.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:44 pm 

I Say: Embrace the Grind
Vehicle: Regal Blue 05 XT Lux manual

Bram wrote:
Ive seen RTTs literally pull the roof rack rail out of the roof on a Nissan Navara. But thats with constant city driving with it on, and multiple camping/offroad use, including a full lap of Australia and a tour of the Gibb River rd and out to Kulambaru.

and kinky Bram shenanigans

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:49 pm 

I Say: Embrace the Grind
Vehicle: Regal Blue 05 XT Lux manual

Once stayed at Wylie Creek Broome on a rented car RTT (forgot what brand) and couldn't figure out why we were getting eaten alive by mozzies as the tent had no holes or tears.
Finally figured out there was a tiny gap at the corners of the metal frame so that the fabric doesn't pinch. stuffed a t shirt there and all was good after that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:15 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

lefty wrote:
Bram wrote:

and kinky Bram shenanigans

Yeah. Good time good times. 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:31 pm 

I Say: There's no 'i' in Team, but there is in Winner!
Vehicle: MY10 XT

Still cant get my head around the concept of a roof top tent.. why would you?
My macpack tent packs away into the size of a sleeping bag, weighs as much as a sleeping bag and takes about five minuets to setup.. :dontknow:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 12 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next