Change font size
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:26 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Anyone here mucking around with console/sim racing?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:18 pm 

I Say: Nowhere near as much as I used to!
Vehicle: Gone but not forgotten-MY08 XT

Hi all,

is anyone else on here playing around with console or sim racing?

Last Christmas I decided to shout myself a nice Thrustmaster TX Leather wheel base, rim and pedal set, along with a copy of Project Cars 2 for the XBOX One. I've really enjoyed it, but found the original wheel to be a bit small. Thankfully, there are a number of aftermarket adaptors which allow the use of a standard aftermarket 6x70mm PCD rim. Given that structural integrity isn't an issue, I snaffled a replica MOMO 335mm suede deep-dish rim, and a replica 'SPARCO' branded 320mm flat bottom leather rim. They both feel fantastic! Stupidly good value at $60ea landed.

This, of course, meant losing the buttons fitted to the original rim.

Thankfully, XBOX One offers keyboard compatibility for Project Cars 2, so it's possible to assign different in-game functions to the keys on a keyboard. I've taken that a step further and hacked the wiring matrix on a keyboard controller PCB, and have wired up a number of toggle and momentary switches to the PCB. One ABS enclosure, some carbon fibre wrap, and voila... one button box!

The button box also acts as an interface between a DIY sequential shifter (a heavily modified 2-way arcade joystick with a tight and snappy action), a converted drift handbrake (switch and spring/actuator mechanism added), and the buttons on the SPARCO copy rim. I've fitted 3.5mm TRRS connectors on the button box and peripherals to allow the use of standard 3.5mm cables for connectivity. All in all, it works great!

The drivers seat is a MY08/09 RS Impreza (AKA WRX) seat which has excellent adjustability.

Overall, it's a heck of a lot of fun. The Thrustmaster TX base offers pretty decent force feedback, and the DIY wheels and electronics add to the immersion.

The limiting factor is probably the old 42" Hitachi plasma that we've got installed in the boy's toyroom. A newer 55" would be much better. One day!

My nine year old is enjoying learning the basics of driving/racing/car control, although my six year old doesn't enjoy the strong force feedback!

Does anyone else on here do anything similar?

Post subject: Re: Anyone here mucking around with console/sim racing?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:54 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

That looks pretty epic.

Can you reach the panel of buttons while strapped in?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:04 pm 

Yowie wrote:
That looks pretty epic.

Can you reach the panel of buttons while strapped in?

Yep, all buttons can be comfortably reached whilst driving.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:33 am 

I Say: Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking.
Vehicle: 03XS Auto-Red;Mercedes Valente

Oh Pete!

I received a Logitech setup for Christmas the year before last, for the XBox One, and promptly ordered a Next Level Racing stand to couple it to. Using it whilst on the couch was possible, but not a great experience, so I kept an eye out for a seat. In the last half of last year, Pagnian Imports were having a sale, better than I’d seen before, so I jumped at it and ordered the racing cockpit setup to go with the stand I already had. It makes Forza and Project Cars 2 a much better experience, and has even been enjoyed by the kids and friends when we’ve had them round for a party.

My mate that I work with has a VR setup, and we gave that a go one Friday afternoon at work with Project Cars 2 on Bathurst, and that was some next level realism!

The Red Dragon's Dyno Sheet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:04 pm 

Nice Stuart! I bought my Thrustmaster setup from Pagnian.

A full cockpit would be awesome. I'm pretty happy with how I've got mine feeling - I finally have the pedals high enough to feel decent, and there's plenty of flexibility re: fore/aft and height adjustments with the WRX steat.

My brother-in-law has a Oculus Rift setup and I had a crack a little while back on Project Cars around the Nurburgring - it was insane!

I've been playing around a fair bit on Bathurst with the Formula X (F1 style) car doing 'time attack' laps. No worries about tyre life or fuel loads... one quick lap at time. I'm currently ranked third globally on the outright Bathurst leaderboard - it's one heck of a lot of fun!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:54 pm 

I Say: Every time you yawn a ghost puts his dick in your mouth.
Vehicle: 2005 MY05 XT Lux

I've got a fanatec porsche wheel and pedal set that I used with the 360 and pc, also got a thrustmaster th8rs shifter. It's boxed away due to lack of room now. But it was fun to use! I even built an arduino controlled segmented lcd display for iracing that showed kmh, revs, fuel, etc. Didn't get to build a button box but was looking into it.

I should make room and play some pc racing again.

I like beans. I like sauce. I like sexual intercourse.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:20 am 

Vehicle: 2011 XTP

Looks awesome Pete, I bet you and your son have some great times together doing laps.
Also love you hand brake setup, is that a custom build?

Here are a few pics of my rig. I use the occulus rift for driving (could never go back to a flat screen). Cant wait for the next gen VR to arrive as well. IMMERSION plus.

I purchased the base rig from James Moffat, who was using this as his home training rig.
I then fitted the gen sparco seat, shifter, button box, simvibe+ 4 butt kickers to give tactile feed back on all four corners.
My motor is a small midge driven with a simucube, this allows up to 21 nm of force feedback to be delivered to my poor arms, though this force is excessive is does allow me to run 1:1 force feed back as in real world applications. The wheel is gen sparco and I was lucky enough to be able to custom build my wheel box (still needs to be sent for anodizing and then fit the carbon face plate.)
I try to spend about 10hrs week racing with iracing and assetto corsa.
If anyone would like to get together to run some laps, race together or against that would be most fun.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:28 pm 

Mate, that's a LOVELY rig you've got there!!! I'd love to get into something more sophisticated one day. Your rig is next-level stuff.

re: the handbrake, it's based on a $50 ebay chinese hydraulic handbrake. I've thrown away the master cylinder, installed a new mechanism with springs etc, and a switch. Sadly, it's not a full analogue handbrake - only on/off. If I was to move into a PC based setup, then analogue would be the go for sure!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]