Change font size
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:28 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 17 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Buying from gumtree
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:50 pm 

Vehicle: MY09 XT - Black

I’ve been looking for a vf46/52 for my SH
And found some ads for a liberty wrecking. The guys name is Jacob and says his from subie world in slakcs creeks and he can get the turbo to my door in vic for 900. Subie world is definetely registered but I can’t find an actually google business address or website, hence my concern

My questions are:
1. Has anyone dealt with this person before as he seems to have a few other wrecking ads up and can vouch for his legitimacy
2. I’m kind of new so is this price good for a vf46? He says no shaft play and comes with warranty
3. Can someone give me any little extra tips when purchasing **** through gumtree to avoid the risk of being shafted

Thanks in advance guys

Post subject: Re: Buying from gumtree
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:25 pm 

Vehicle: MY11 S-Edition

VF52's come up quite often on here in the 700-900 range. Example here viewtopic.php?f=38&t=57659
I wouldnt rush if you dont need

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:32 pm 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

$900 seems high for a 2nd hand VF46.

It's also a bigger risk for you if you're buying sight-unseen from a Scumtree seller who is assuring you "no shaft play and warranty".

In your shoes i'd probably ring around Japanese wreckers closer to you and try to visually inspect the turbo* before purchase. A little bit of play is ok. Do your research to find out what "a little bit" means in the turbo context and what to look for with 2nd hand turbos - eg youtube.

Off the top of my head $250-$450 is probably a reasonable price for a 2nd hand VF46 that you have personally inspected. I'm sure others can chip in with a more informed opinion of value.

Alternatively, if you cant afford the risks of 2nd hand but have $900 to throw around, why not stretch that to buy new. Eg

http://www.carmodsaustralia.com.au/vf52 ... arger.html

http://www.carmodsaustralia.com.au/gtps ... -07-09-lgt

http://www.carmodsaustralia.com.au/td05 ... 08-14.html

(obviously do your own research on what turbo you want, what fits, etc).

[*FYI I got bitten buying a "rebuilt by engine builder" VF46 for $600. It presented well with very little shaft play. In my enthusiasm/ignorance i didn't realise that special high-speed balancing equipment is needed to rebuild a turbo. It mucked-up shortly after the tune and i spent "approaching new turbo costs" getting it rebuilt properly in Sydney since i had already got parts of hot side ported and i really wanted a VF46. This story won't have much relevance to you unless you are sold a similar "rebuilt" story.]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:17 pm 

Vehicle: MY09 XT - Black

Thanks for the quick responses guys, once again I am astounded by how helpful this community has been!! Definitely put me off the purchase and shocked at how much a second hand vf46 should be! I definitely do have 900 to throw around and could stretch it but grabbing a good bargain is also ideal. I will look into the links guys, thanks again. Once I source the turbo, I’m pretty much done with my first initial mods... will be buying a full invidia q300 tbe and putting back in the pw cai and go for my tune so I’m crazy excited

Yeah I saw that post for the vf52 but he sold it :(

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:47 pm 

Vehicle: MY12 XT Premium Auto White

Hi Astroboi,

I am in Brisbane and have seen the Jacob guy selling stuff. I think I rang him once. Caution required if you can't verify credentials. Can't say more.

I got an VF46 for less and it had a new cartridge installed.

We can blame Yowie for that. Lol Yowie is the resident expert on VF46's.

Keep looking and asking questions.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:56 pm 

Vehicle: Rather not say...

If your budget is 900 get a vf52. With a good tune they are super streetable with a higher top end

GONE: MY13 Spec R - black

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:08 pm 

seanmy07 wrote:
If your budget is 900 get a vf52. With a good tune they are super streetable with a higher top end

With E85 giving me plenty of low-end responsiveness already, I'm actually inclined to experiment with a bigger turbo at some point. Probably no time soon while the money tree is so bare.

I don't think i ever twisted anyone's arm to get a VF46 :dontknow:. I just tend to mention them as a cheaper, more responsive (but less top-end) alternative to a VF52.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:52 pm 

Vehicle: Rather not say...

My personal opinion is that the only reason to go for a vf46 over 52 would be budget. If you're already upgrading your turbo you may as well go the largest possible that the stock motor can handle.

If you talked to Bram, he'd tell you that a vf52 is a pussy turbo and the only real option is a custom fab low mount monster 500hp capable turbo with a closed deck motor, but we each have our own use case and budget in mind

GONE: MY13 Spec R - black

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:12 pm 

It also comes down to the responsiveness vs top-end you personally want from your car.

I'm in the 2000-3000 rev range infinite number of times when i drive the car. Conversely, I only use the revs between 5500 and the redline very occasionally. For my daily-driven car needs i'll take the upgraded turbo that adds value in the well-used rev range rather than the seldom-used rev range.

For someone who goes to the drag strip, does other motor sports or just likes more top-end power, the larger turbo will be more suitable to them.

The NA V8 enthusiast probably has a similar decision to make about choice of cams for his/her road car.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:45 pm 

Vehicle: MY11 S-Edition

seanmy07 wrote:

If you talked to Bram, he'd tell you that a vf52 is a pussy turbo and the only real option is a custom fab low mount monster 500hp capable turbo with a closed deck motor, but we each have our own use case and budget in mind

This needs to be Brams signature

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 17 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next