Change font size
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:56 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1432 of 1438   [ 14377 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 1429, 1430, 1431, 1432, 1433, 1434, 1435 ... 1438  Next
 Post subject: Re: What have you done to your car today
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:54 am 

Vehicle: MY06 XT - Black

I use no spout ones and they're fine.

I had one incident, where I pulled the wifes Avalon into the driveway at the end of the day and went inside. Wife came in the next morning and said there's an issue. To this day I don't know how it happened, but it absolutely caught on the lip of the driveway (I'd turned into a thousand times before without issue). At first I thought someone might have reached under and opened it up, but there was evidence of it catching on the way up the driveway and then poured all the oil out from were it parked. Must have hit it at the wrong angle or something. That Avalon had lowered springs and the stock shocks were real worn... All contributing factors.

I still use Fumotos!

FC RX7 Track Build

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:00 am 

Vehicle: MY08 XT (SH)

S2-13BT - do you have an opinion on whether the optional accessory plastic safety clip for the fumoto lever would have made a difference?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:46 pm 

I Say: very little. It always gets me into trouble ...
Vehicle: MY07 X MT

S2-13BT wrote:
I had one incident, where I pulled the wifes Avalon into the driveway at the end of the day and went inside. Wife came in the next morning and said there's an issue.
Good thing the oil slick was on the driver's side and she spotted it. Driveway slope the other way and who knows ...

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:18 pm 

Vehicle: MY09 XT Premium

Installed a mishimoto radiator to the SH on the weekend. Got caught out by the ATF lines using the bottom tank of the OEM rad - wasn't prepared for that when I was pulling the lower pipe off thinking WTF are these lines for. Ended up buying a Mishimoto universal trans cooler but was unable to mount it anywhere sensible or secure. I've joined the ATF feed/return lines together so there's no cooling for the moment but the car is going in for a major service this week, where I'll have the cooler mounted properly at the same time.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:11 pm 

Yowie wrote:
S2-13BT - do you have an opinion on whether the optional accessory plastic safety clip for the fumoto lever would have made a difference?

I reckon because it involved the weight of a car, it would have opened anyway. Still baffles me how it happened.

Closed it up, changed the filter and filled the car up and it was fine! Fumoto still worked a treat... I just made sure to carefully enter the driveway for a couple weeks! By far the worse part was cleaning the oil off the driveway.

zippo wrote:
Good thing the oil slick was on the driver's side and she spotted it. Driveway slope the other way and who knows ...

Yeah, I reckon! That thought went through my head too... Wouldn't have made it far!

FC RX7 Track Build

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:44 pm 

I Say: very little. It always gets me into trouble ...
Vehicle: MY07 X MT

S2-13BT wrote:
Yowie wrote:
By far the worse part was cleaning the oil off the driveway.
I know the feeling. Did an oil-change-plus-filter job yonks ago on my VL Commie. What I didn't notice at the time amidst the dirty oil draining out of the fitting on the block was that the filter O-ring didn't come off with the old filter. New filter on, tightened, oil added, start motor and all OK. Gave it some revs to move it and the double-O-ring combo let go, oil everywhere! "A little bit goes a long way".

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:40 am 

Vehicle: MY09 XTP & MY16 BT50

Thanks guys RE: fumoto drain plugs. I might consider getting one, probably the no spout one. At the moment, I've got Dimple Super Black Hole magnets on the oil filter like jonp above, as well as the Dimple Oil Pan magnet plug.

S2-13BT - that was a close call!

zippo wrote:
S2-13BT wrote:
Yowie wrote:
By far the worse part was cleaning the oil off the driveway.
I know the feeling. Did an oil-change-plus-filter job yonks ago on my VL Commie. What I didn't notice at the time amidst the dirty oil draining out of the fitting on the block was that the filter O-ring didn't come off with the old filter. New filter on, tightened, oil added, start motor and all OK. Gave it some revs to move it and the double-O-ring combo let go, oil everywhere! "A little bit goes a long way".

I've done this too actually, a long while back. It was on my brother's Corolla AE112R.. lets just say I've always double-checked from then on! :lol:

Previous: '09 ZRE152 ZR (click)

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:10 am 

Vehicle: MY05 XT - Silver

In regards to Fumoto Valves and their convenience heads up to a new type drain valve called Valvomax Drain Valve, got one of these on pre-order, imo looks like a far better engineered and safer product than Fumoto.

https://www.valvomax.com/

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:53 pm 

Or forget about sump plugs altogether and just extract the old oil though the dipstick tube.

https://www.whitworths.com.au/pela-vacu ... tractor-6l

Perfect for those with FA's with the oil filter up top.

FC RX7 Track Build

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:56 pm 

I Say: Car mods are like OddBodz, you got to collect them all! -------------------------------------
Vehicle: MY05 STi swapped sled

Or just dont over fill it in the first place.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1432 of 1438   [ 14377 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 1429, 1430, 1431, 1432, 1433, 1434, 1435 ... 1438  Next